Today's Funny

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I recently had my Silverado truck serviced and I was very unhappy with the $717.17 bill I received. I fumed for a couple of days and then became even more upset after watched a couple of U Tube videos on how to do the work the dealer had performed. It really was a simple job and not worth the price I paid and then I checked the price of parts and that's when I really got upset that I over-paid for the parts by x5 and the labor way too much for what was done.

Without a doubt, I could of performed the job at a 1/4 of the price I paid or even less.

I received a Customer Satisfaction survey via email and I completed the survey being polite and outlined my concerns. Well no reply. So I send an email to the dealership's GM and guess what no reply. So I sent an email to the Owner of numerous dealerships in the his chain writting only two sentences. The last sentence said "It's easier to retain customers than pay the cost to attract new business". Within several hours after I sent the email to the Owner the GM responded via a telephone call. I stated my case and during our exchange I told him that I knew what "Book" labor rates were and some other business terms used in the vehicle repair business.

He complemented me on my knowledge of vehicle repair work....especially since I was the Owner of a transportation company and my knowledge showed in our conversation. I had forgotten he was referring to my hobby signature used on my model railroading related emails which were on the emails I sent to him and the Owner.

The Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad
Transporters of Lumber, Cattle, Ore and Anything Else
Est. 1983

HO Scale

Where the SOO, Milwaukee, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

I never told him it was a HO railroad that I owned! I had a couple of good laughs during our Miller Time.

He said he would get back to me......maybe I'll tell him then to really look at my signature to see what business I owned.

Greg

Last edited:
I recently had my Silverado truck serviced and I was very unhappy with the $717.17 bill I received. I fumed for a couple of days and then became even more upset after watched a couple of U Tube videos on how to do the work the dealer had performed. It really was a simple job and not worth the price I paid and then I checked the price of parts and that's when I really got upset that I over-paid for the parts by x5 and the labor way too much for what was done.

Without a doubt, I could of performed the job at a 1/4 of the price I paid or even less.

I received a Customer Satisfaction survey via email and I completed the survey being polite and outlined my concerns. Well no reply. So I send an email to the dealership's GM and guess what no reply. So I sent an email to the Owner of numerous dealerships in the his chain writting only two sentences. The last sentence said "It's easier to retain customers than pay the cost to attract new business". Within several hours after I sent the email to the Owner the GM responded via a telephone call. I stated my case and during our exchange I told him that I knew what "Book" labor rates were and some other business terms used in the vehicle repair business.

He complemented me on my knowledge of vehicle repair work....especially since I was the Owner of a transportation company and my knowledge showed in our conversation. I had forgotten he was referring to my hobby signature used on my model railroading related emails which were on the emails I sent to him and the Owner.

The Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad
Transporters of Lumber, Cattle, Ore and Anything Else
Est. 1983

HO Scale

Where the SOO, Milwaukee, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

I never told him it was a HO railroad that I owned! I had a couple of good laughs during our Miller Time.

He said he would get back to me......maybe I'll tell him then to really look at my signature to see what business I owned.

Greg

I don't how much say the dealerships have in the price of service . I found in the past that alot of times the manufacturer sets that. They do time studies for major service and then the dealer looks it up to see how many hours . Parts prices are usually set by the manufacturer and the dealer has only much wiggle room.

They do that to keep the big dealers from undercutting the smaller ones. Its not just automobiles or autoparts. So the dealer knows that everyone else is charging roughly the same.

$150 hr labor wouldn't surprise me . That nice clean work area , reception area , couch , big screen tv while you wait, you pay for all that.

Its not just at the dealers either , the auto parts stores are that way too. I bought a coil at a local big chain autoparts store , they gave me a choice OEM or "overseas part" ,I took the overseas part $80 , Same part on ebay less than $20 same brand , US seller ,ect. I went to buy a timing belt /water pump kit(OEM) , same autoparts store , like $320 take a week , Same (OEM)kit through Rock $190 delivery in 2 days. I bought it from Rock .

I usually get OEM or equivilent on critical engine components thru Rock . I m fairly certain that the autoparts chain was getting from the same.

and yes Youtube was a big help , You can see what what other people did right and in some cases what they did wrong . It would have cost me another $2500 to $3000 to get a vehicle with a cruise control ( cuz you have to buy all the other bells and whistles ) , Ebay and Youtube , buy the switch ($10) and plug it in ...Bam instant cruise control.

My favorite ditz question:
"How much is it without parts and labor"?

The correct question is how much is going to cost to get your vehicle back.

So if you take it in and decide not to have the work done , they're still going charge you to get your vehicle back. And they won't look at it until you sign the service agreement giving them the right to hold on to it till you pay .

Last edited:
Another example of how you can save money if you do it yourself.

But take it from me, at-home Lasik is NOT a good idea. You've been warned!

As opposed to going to an "eye care center" , where some 18 yr old kid still in high school , tells you to stick your head into the machine , while she pushes button and hopes for the best. 🥺😰

Back