Tire Plant Facility

Josh - you might need one of these

DSCN2222.jpg

For your grain trailers .Take a real good look at a N scale PS-2CD 3 bay covered hopper.I think you will find some usable parts there. :)

All the Hoppers ive looked at dont have anything like these bottom chutes from what I can see. Im thinking I may just buy a couple extra of the Rail Shops kits and use the discharge chutes from them, as well as cannibalize some of the top hatches for the trailer fleet.

I did manage to get a reply from Taylor Express today, they were kind enough to give me a little information regarding the trailers...
"The dimensions are 48' long x 13'6" high by 102" wide. They have several portals on top, about 4 per section with a "man-hole" located near the front, or rear. They're gravity load and unload. We purchased them from Peerless in Paragould, AR and are valued about $67,000.00 each."

I may contact one of the guys at shapeways who are already making HO scale trailers using 3D Printing. I had worked with Barry @ Baztrains and was the one who had him make the HO scale shorty Dry Bulk Trailers, which I still have yet to actually purchase! lol For anyone interested, hes got some awesome models of some Bulk Trailers that nobody currently makes in the HO scale market.. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/miniature_models

I managed to build a Walthers Ferrous Shear last night. This machine wont see much use at the plant, but figured it would go with the rest of the scrap equipment, even if it rarely gets used for the Tire Plant... The shear was painted red and will be weathered later on. Also pictured is one of three new Trucks N' Stuff Front Loaders. I got one of each of the new ones that are out, 966K, 966K XE, and 972K just because I wanted to see the differences in them. I must say, the detail differences are very minor.. LOL But now the scrap yard section has 3 new loaders! These will eventually have to be weathered. I may leave one looking brand new, just being delivered to the plant on one of the lowboys..

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

As you might notice from my last pictures, I laid down some 1" blue foam to serve as the secondary scenery base. I also extended the facility quite a bit when I laid the foam base down. The facility now measures 29" wide and 63" long.

Down on the far right front corner running about 1/4 the length of the facility will be where all the scrap equipment, conveyors, and truck scale will be located. The shear is just sorta sitting there right now, im sure it will end up being moved to a different position later on.. This area will also where the Carbon Black Hoppers are unloaded, as well as trailers and boxcars loaded with old worn tires that will either be scrapped with the baler/shredder or brought inside the plant to be re-tread and put back on the road. Baler/shredder will shred old tires, as well as shred & bale old wheels that the plant receives to be sold for scrap money. Ive placed a few tires in the corner for now and a few forklifts shuttling tires just to give an idea of what will be going on in this area

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

Closeup of one of the two flatbed rigs I pan to load up with new oversized mining equipment tires to be shipped out

DSCN0370.jpg

Here are two "Walking Floor" Trucks N' Stuff trucks that I may use of I do decide to make myself instead of trying to have them made with the 3D Printing. I plan to have a small fleet of 5-6 Carbon Black Transport Trailers

DSCN0372.jpg

And here are several shots of the newish Trucks N' Stuff Lowboy's. Since ive been outta the modeling game for a little while, they are new to me and new to my collection lol. I got a nice little variety of them cab wise. I must say, these models are pretty cool and im fairly pleased with them! The Lowboys even come apart into two sections like true "Cheater Lowboys"! These wont nessesarily be used in this Tire Plant Facility, but you may catch one of them delivering a new CAT Loader or two :D
Pictured front to back are:
Kenworth T800 3-Axle w/Cheater Lowboy
Kenworth W900 3-Axle Sleeper w/Cheater Lowboy
Kenworth Heavy Haul T800 3-Axle + Lift Axle w/Cheater Lowboy
Peterbilt 367 Heavy Haul 3-Axle + Lift Axle w/Cheater Lowboy
Peterbilt 367 Heavy Haul 3-Axle + 2 Lift Axle w/Cheater Lowboy

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

Very impressive work! Most modern industries around here tend to be huge, sprawling things. I think the scale of your plant captures that feeling very well.

Josh - I bought it at a show here in UK - the box says New Holland Construction Diecast model 1:87 Imported by HOBBY & WORK
Hobby & Work Publishing Srl
39,V Xxv Aprile, Bresso MI20091
ITALY

Made in China

There is one on EBAY eBay item number:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive work! Most modern industries around here tend to be huge, sprawling things. I think the scale of your plant captures that feeling very well.

Thanks! This facility is going to be pretty large lol, although I would like it to be much larger space is somewhat of an issue and I can only go so far with this shelf lol
I will probably end up using it on a future layout and expanding when that time comes

Josh - I bought it at a show here in UK - the box says New Holland Construction

Yeah thats one of those new Herpa models! They seem to have come out with a few nice models since ive been out of the modeling thing. I intend on getting some of them including that demolition excavator! :D

Got a bit more work done on the facility the last couple days. Ive been working on the far left end of the facility where the storage warehouse will be located. I started combining walls and expanding the truck docks, and well I have ended up making this warehouse pretty large and taking up the entire west end of the facility!

It now consists of 11 shipping and receiving truck docks, two shipping rail docks along the back side of the facility (where the BNSF boxcar is in the pics below), one receiving rail dock (where the red ATSF boxcar is) and one elevated dock door with personnel door (next to the receiving dock). This elevated slightly larger dock door will have a ramp leading up to it. The back of the warehouse will be a cardboard cutout to help support the roof.

Here are two pics showing the overall view of the west end of the facility where this new warehouse is taking shape

DSCN0381.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

This next one shows where the two shipping rail docks will be located. I still need to glue these walls together but cant go any further until I get the new ExactRail Berwick Auto Parts boxcars. I figure these will be the largest and longest cars to enter these docks so I need to make sure that there is enough length between the two docks to accommodate two of these Berwick Boxcars when they are coupled together back to back in the siding. If anyone has any of these cars and can help me out with a few measurements on these specific cars I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise im at a standstill for about a week :rolleyes:

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0383.jpg

This last one shows the Receiving rail dock and where the ramp will be located. Ill need to extend the base of the facility out just an inch or two where the track will need to be laid.

DSCN0382.jpg

Thats it for now

Made a little more progress today on the storage warehouse building. I got the 2 shipping rail dock walls glued to the rest of the building. Also got my 3 ExactRail Berwick CSX Auto Parts boxcars today! I have to say, they are top notch models, typical of Exactrail!

Heres an overall shot of the finished building footprint, rail shipping docks on the right, 11 truck docks, and a rail receiving dock on the far left side wall of the building
DSCN0389.jpg

Two of the Berwick CSX boxcars docked in the shipping docks
DSCN0385.jpg

With one boxcar moved out of the way to see rail dock #2
DSCN0386.jpg

Its going to be a little tight for truck drivers backing their trailers into dock #12!
DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

**looks like I need to get some better lighting for the camera, didnt realize these last two pictures came out so blurry! :mad:

Next up on the agenda for this warehouse is mocking up a cardboard back wall/support for the roof!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh very nice, looking very good man. Ya I have those same Berwick box cars and Exact Rail produces some quality cars.

Thanks guys!

Michael, they really are some top quality cars. I also got 2 of the Thrall 2244 Gondolas in the DT&I Paint scheme and they are very well detailed as well!

Thanks guys!

Michael, they really are some top quality cars. I also got 2 of the Thrall 2244 Gondolas in the DT&I Paint scheme and they are very well detailed as well!

Ya and the bonus is they already have Kadee couplers installed.

This is true! And wouldnt you know it, I just got Exactrail's email a couple mins ago, guess which cars they put on special this month.. Yup the Berwick Boxcars, for $7 cheaper then I got them for a few days ago hah. All well, I got the last one for one of the roadnumbers on the CSX Berwicks so I guess it was worth it LOL
They also put the Thrall 2743 Gondolas on sale! $16.95, probably end up getting a couple of them too lol

Plenty of room! I've gotten 53 footers into tighter spots than that! (In real life.)

lol yes, but when all is set in stone and the rail dock surround is put on the building, in combination with the siding, it will be pretty tight. Those boxcars will be alot closer to the truck dock

Back