Tire Plant Facility

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hello everyone!

After a long while away I suddenly got an urge to do a little modeling again. Its been a couple years since ive done any real modeling and a long while since ive posted on these forums! I suddenly got bit by the modeling bug and decided to finally make use of a small shelf that I had built a while back, ive since been using it for storage.. Not anymore! LOL

Decided to make a large warehouse facility on the shelf, more specifically a large Tire Plant Facility in which tires are made and re-manufactured! Im combining the Walthers Tire Plant, Paper Mill, and Magic Pan Bakery kits to achieve this large facility that will consist of a main manufacturing facility, a storage warehouse, and a smaller stand alone structure with a series of narrow tall storage tanks (out of the Magic Pan kit) with piping connecting to the main manufacturing building. This should give me an opportunity to use some Hi-Cube Boxcars as well as some Tank Cars.

I do need some more parts and pieces, so if any of you saw my other thread I posted a couple hours ago looking for a Magic Pan kit/parts and pieces from a kit you may have leftover, please do let me know!

For now, here are a couple pictures showing the rough layout of the footprints of the structures that will make up the facility. The main manufacturing structure has been built to their rough footprints, all that needs to be done is add the windows, doors, and rooftop vents, piping, tanks... And the final coat of paint followed by the super detail stage! The warehouse (smaller gray one) on the other hand still needs to be expanded, and this is the one I am looking for your extras and leftovers if you have them!

As usual, a bunch of trailers and trucks will liter the scene! Cus what industrial facility doesnt have a bunch of trailers laying around the yard? :D

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! But way too clean. If you could see the Gates Rubber Co. building in South Denver... Even when they were still in business, if you went inside, even briefly, it was like a black cloud! ;)

Josh,

Welcome back! Looks great! Don't let the hot mom from Modern Family crush your industry...:)

Brad

Hey Josh, welcome back, been wondering about you!
The tire plant will also require some hoppers, should generate some traffic.
We'll be watching...

Looking as though this is going to be a big scene. Incorporating a number of models to create one large one is a great idea too.

A big scene it will be lol. Im going to get some blue foam tomorrow that will extend the facility out a little bit. Overall size will be 24"x60". I may even push it out to 28", just depends on the final layout of the two main structures and how I can re-build the storage warehouse.

Looking forward to seeing the module come together.

Welcome back Josh! I still remember all the photos you posted of detailed scenes that you did.

Wow that's a large facility but looks fantastic!

Thanks guys!

Josh,

Welcome back! Looks great! Don't let the hot mom from Modern Family crush your industry...:)

Brad

Thanks! LOL I dont usually watch the show, it was actually the first time I watched it. Was pretty funny!

Looks great! But way too clean. If you could see the Gates Rubber Co. building in South Denver... Even when they were still in business, if you went inside, even briefly, it was like a black cloud! ;)

LOL ive still got to do the weathering on the structures. this is just the roughing it stage right now. Ill certainly keep in mind the "dirtier the better" in mind with this industry though!

Hey Josh, welcome back, been wondering about you!
The tire plant will also require some hoppers, should generate some traffic.
We'll be watching...

Thanks Rico! Looking to get some hoppers for the Raw Carbon Black, but what kinda hoppers would be used? I actually just posted a thread with this exact question lol

Also was thinking of making some trucks for transporting Carbon Black, looks as if there is a company that does actually do this with a fleet of their own custom trucks and trailers in the US! Taylor Express is the name of the company. Ive never seen such a trailer before, and I emailed them in hopes of getting some info from them on their fleet. They almost look similar to the "Walking Floor" trailers. Around my neck of the woods they are used heavily in garbage and recycled auto parts/scrap transport. But these Carbon Black trailers have 3 bottom discharge chutes! The only picture I can find on the internet of these trailers:

Hopper.jpg

Little Update..

Ive got some more kits coming as well, ordered another Magic Pan kit to make the storage warehouse longer with more docks, as well as a Washington Salvage Yard kit to use the truck scale portion of the kit. Also acquired a walthers scrap yard conveyor, shear, and baler to process old tires that are beyond the re-manufacture stage. Old tires can be shipped in by both rail and via trucks. I figure ill cut open a 53' trailer and glue a bunch of stacked tires in there as if they are going to be unloaded and processed. Hence the reason for the truck scale from the Washington Salvage kit.

Also got 4 walthers Armstrong Electric Motors kits to use as a couple backround structures for the back wall of the facility. Figure these will fit nicely and hide the brackets for the shelf quite well!

All in all, this should be a pretty large facility!

Josh, that trailer looks a lot like modern bottom dump grain trailers to me.

Josh, that trailer looks a lot like modern bottom dump grain trailers to me.

I dont think anyone makes a model of a grain trailer like this in HO scale? The only grain trailer I can think of is the Lonestar Models and that is a shortside 43'er. These prototype look to be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 48-53'.

Was thinking of maybe combining the bottom of a hopper car with the top of a trucks n' stuff "walking floor" trailer but I dont know what hopper could be used? It looks like I will need two different styles of hoppers as the front chute is different then the 2nd and 3rd on the prototype

Got 5 of these Rail Shops CABX Carbon Black covered hoppers in route for the Tire Plant Facility :D
CarbonBlach.JPG

Also got 3 shorty MDCX Acid tank cars
ATHG68415.jpg

As it stands right now, ill have a few different types of rail cars servicing the facility
  1. Carbon Black Covered Hoppers; Inbound Raw Carbon Black
  2. Coil Cars; Inbound Steel Coils for milling of the steel belts used in tires
  3. Acid Tank Cars; Used in the pickling process to treat the raw steel being milled
  4. 60' Auto Parts Boxcars; Inbound new Steel & Aluminum wheels ---> Outbound completed wheels/tires to Auto Assembly Plants
  5. Hi-Cube Boxcars; Inbound used tires for re-manufacturing and scraping

If you guys can think of any other types of rail cars that would be used in the Tire Manufacturing process please let me know!

For your grain trailers .Take a real good look at a N scale PS-2CD 3 bay covered hopper.I think you will find some usable parts there. :)

Back