Tips for a complete noob!!

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I have done alot of modelling and always sent my custom detailed models off to a local painter. Ive decided to try this myself. Ive got an Iwata dual action brush, 8 gallon air compressor with regulator and water filter. I mainly have Tamiya and Model Master paints and a couple gallons of thinner. Where do I start?? I think it may be a good idea to take some thinner and spray a big piece of cardboard so I can get the hang of my airbrush and how it works?

THAT is the preferred method, distilled water works good also when getting a feel for the equipment, KNOW thy weapons and their capabilities! I've always hand painted my models, they say it tickles but I don't mind.

1st of all. this is a good place for tips etc. 2nd place is to try youtube which has a ton on model rr vidios. I have learned by both trial and error, and watching some real good modelers. I for one believe that a little weathering goes a long way !

Get thee to a flea market and buyeth tho a crap load of cheap plastic shells to practice on, tyco etc.
Weathering with thin mid to dark colours is also good practice.
I myself have yet to try a good paint job on anything really expensive yet... :p

I saved about a dozen of these old Bachmann cars just for this purpose...I knew eventually Id get around to em. This is my very first attempt at painting anything with an airbrush, and here are both sides of these 4 cars. What do you think, and what can I try next?? These cars were pristine and shiney before, and the paint was Tamiya Nato brown 50/50 mix with Tamiya thinner.

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 234
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 235
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 239
  • car4.jpg
    car4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 227
I think they look pretty good!
Only criticism would be the horizontal streaks on the RI car, they could be a little lower and they'd look like scrapes from a front end loader or a strike with a fixed object.

I appreciate the feedback! I was just fooling around with em n the horizontal streaks were the first lines I shot...the rest was a very rookie weathering attempt. I kinda like how the swift car turned out...but these will continue to be 'test' cars...and then eventually maybe become yard storage sheds after a lil detailing...we'll see. I was at the hobby shop again today and picked up some flat clear and gloss clear. Would these be dilluted about the same with thinner?

I think you are getting the hang of it. Most of the 'rust' should be on seems and edges. The 'dirt/grime' would accumulate on the bottom and lower sides of the car.

Captain of Industry
President of Lancaster Central RR
President of Lancaster & Western Maryland Railway

I like the looks of the NH best . One thing I would caution you on is symmetry ? I see a tendency for you to make the streaking close to the same length and width . I prefer the weathering on the lighter side myself , that is why I think I like the NH best , but all of that is personal preference . All in all , it looks much better than my first attempt !!

Back