Timesaver Shelf Layout

Thanks, I had a look at this, could not find anything small enough around the house. So I 3D printed a template of the profile and I'm good to go.

Now for the gluing and painting.

Attachments

• IMG_5589w.jpg
    IMG_5589w.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 109
Since I'm at it, I want to print these stairs in N scale, the first attempt was a failure mainly due to using a true scale version and scaling down.

The thickness of the model was too thin, especially the handrails.

I gather that modelling structural members at this scale will have to made bigger as the strength will not be there, it's just the appearance that I was after.

I'm tempted to just to model the structural members as square sections to give it a bit more thickness.

Is there a min thickness before it looks out of scale or in the end It just doesn't matter.

Cheers

Attachments

• Stairs.JPG
    Stairs.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 117
With the stairs, you may be able to print just the stairs and platform sections, then use fine wire for the railings.

With the stairs I ended up doing the following
  • making the handrails 0.2mm dia
  • the stairs and landing 0.25mm thick
  • made the C-sections just a solid member
Here's the result on an Anycubic Photon, layers where 0.05mm, with default light supports. Removing the supports was the issue, cracked a few of the handrails at the supports (handling issues, too small for my fingers) but easily fixed using resin and a UV light.

What I would do different, in my excitement I UV cured it before removing the supports and I should have dipped it in hot water first then removed the supports. Then maybe the supports would have come off cleaner on the handrails.

Also I need a support beam where the stairs connect to the building to make it easier to glue, didn't see that until a test fitted the stairs.

Attachments

• Capture-01.JPG
    Capture-01.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 111

Back