Three Notch Railroad

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
While on our trip back from Florida, we stopped in the small Alabama town of Georgiana, whose claim to fame is being the boyhood home of Hank Williams. While taking a look at his house, I noticed some tracks on the edge of town with some locomotives I'd never seen before. Turns out this is the headquarters of the the Three Notch Railroad, a shortline that runs for Georgiana to Andalusia. It's part of the Gulf and Ohio group of shortlines. The only information I can find on the unusual name of the line is that Hank Williams was married in a service station in Andalusia in 1944 and the service station was located on Three Notch Road.

There were three GP-38's on the property, one a patched out unit that had never been repainted and two that had been repainted but were not in good shape. The patched out unit was coupled to a gondola and neither had been moved in a long time based on the amount of Kudzu vine that had grown up around them.

There were also three ex-UP SD-40's down by the shops that I presume were bought for rehab but seem to be just sitting there rotting away. One was obviously an ex-C&NW unit by the grade crossing bell on the hood and all of them had the battery doors open, with the batteries either removed by the railroad or stolen. There was absolutely no one around that Sunday evening and stealing parts off the engines would have been easy.

I don't know if the railroad itself is still running. The two GP-38's that appear to have been in service the most recently are leaking oil and diesel fuel so badly that they are spotted over giant absorbent pads. The main line is still visible leading off into the woods from Georgiana but it's pretty overgrown and can't see more than one train a week at the most. There were some covered hoppers on the interchange track with the NS so I assume the railroad must still be carrying a little traffic.

For all you folks that like to paint and weather boxcars, there were some decrepit CIRR cars sitting on a side track that also have vegetation starting to take them over. The HS11110 was a particularly interesting combination of patch outs. partial repaints, rust, and grafitti. The whole scene was one of the loneliness and neglect that are so typical of a poverty-stricken shortline.

More semi-abandoned boxcars from the Three Notch. Also a nose shot of the ex-C&NW, ex-UP SD40-2 on the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Eric. I meant to take a picture of the "mainline" disappearing into the woods but I lost too much light. Never even heard of this shortline and wouldn't have found it if the wife didn't want to see Hank William's boyhood home.

Jazz, I was thinking the same thing when I was there. I don't know why the G&O spent as much money as they did on those locomotives and boxcars and just let them sit there, rotting away. I'm sure those three SD40-2's weren't cheap.

Here's a picture of the "in-service" GP-38's with the absorbent pads sitting under them because they are leaking so much fuel and oil. That's my oldest daughter next to the engine. A better closeup of the side of the GP-38 cab with the railroad name. Finally, if you've never seen the inside of an EMD battery box, here's a good look.

Honestly, value really depends on the running scrap value of the metal at the time of sale. I seems to remember a CN SD40-2 lot selling for around $10k each. Not "bad" for a full sized unit.

Here's a picture of the "in-service" GP-38's with the absorbent pads sitting under them because they are leaking so much fuel and oil.

I think the absorbent pads are just a current trend. I'm seeing them a lot on the CSX. My guess is that some ADEM/EPA bureaucrat needed something to save us from and create a little more justification for his job... ;)

Eric, I'm sure it's an EPA thing too but these babies were leaking, and I mean, leaking bad. :eek: The pads between the tracks were completely soaked in oil with standing oil and diesel fuel in the surface. I have no idea how they would remove them without a hazardous waste disposal incident.

Eric, I'm sure it's an EPA thing too but these babies were leaking, and I mean, leaking bad. :eek: The pads between the tracks were completely soaked in oil with standing oil and diesel fuel in the surface. I have no idea how they would remove them without a hazardous waste disposal incident.

Just pour the stuff back in the tanks! :eek:

Great find and pics, btw.

Rotor

Thanks, Rotor. Yuck, I don't think even those junkers would run on that congealed mess. Given the price of fuel now, you'd think it would be cheaper at some point to fix the leaks than let so much of it leak out, not to mention the possible massive environmental fines. The railroad looked pretty broke to me so imagine they can tolerate the current cost compared to the maintenance cost. The small yard was totally overgrown except for one interchange track and the "mainline". There sure doesn't seem to be enough traffic to justify those three ex-UP SD40-2's and the parent company is an locomotive rebuilder, so it seems like dragging them back to Knoxville, where they have a big rebuilding shop, might help pay some of the bills down there.

Jim nice shot of some junk . Could be that the line is bankrupt or running on a real shoestring !

The Three Notch Railroad is all that remains of Gulf & Ohio's original Alabama & Florida line. At its start in 1986 the line went from Georgiana to Geneva, AL, however, the entire line was sold to Pioneer's Alabama & Florida in 1992. The A&F was one of the three original G&O routes, the other two being the Mississippi Delta Railway, and the Wiregrass Central out of Enterprise, AL.

In 2001 or so, Gulf & Ohio bought back the only profitable portion of the line from Andalusia to Georgiana. They renamed it the Three Notch Railroad. The primary customer was Shaw Fibers, and G&O expected to pull 1,800 cars their first year. That number has gone up to 2,000 (57 per mile)..not very much for a 35 mile shortline. The G&O runs trains a few times per week, Shaw Fibers takes in around 10 hoppers per trip. There are a couple of other customers that go through one or two cars weekly.

As for the H&S boxcars, the G&O sold their H&S operation to the Genesse & Wyoming company, however, there were a thousand or so H&S boxcars that were left with G&O. They have sold some, but most remain in storage on various Gulf & Ohio properties. Since the G&W take over of another line, the Chattahoochee Industrial RR (CIRR), the paper mills have used trucks instead of boxcars to ship finished paper product. Because of this, the THNR has stored cars for the G&W/CIRR.

Initially it appears that the entire Georgiana to Geneva route should be abandoned.. CSX retains ownership of the roadbed and has trackage rights over the entire line. Tracks are not passable beyond Samson, trains to Geneva stopped in 1991 or so after the bankruptcy of Fleming Foods and Geneva Grain Co.. Pioneer makes their money from car storage only, their only motive power, a PREX ex-ATSF unit, has been lost in a kudzu field.

I wouldn't call them "bankrupt" because they are still above the Gulf & Ohio safety net, but surely it costs more to maintain than it does to operate. On a further note, the 2886 unit is from the original Norfolk & Southern railway. The Three Notch is low-yield but definately not the worst of the G&O network. Ironically the most valuable line, the Wiregrass Central, is not far away, they pull around 5,000 cars annually on 18 miles of track (278 per mile). The Yadkin Valley comes second with 15,000 carloads on 100 miles of track (150 per mile).

Phew, what a long story!

AL1

"lost in a kudzu field" - I admit, kudzu apparently grows on anything, but I've got a vision of a bunch of guys wandering through a green field, poking poles through it to find a locomotive...

Thanks, AL, that's some terrific information, way more than I could find on the web. Since you live in Alabama, I now formally induct you into the "Alabama Gang", a group of us who are slowly taking over this forum. Your certificate will be in the mail soon. :) Do you have any more information on how the Three Notch got its name other than my guess?

Here's a closer picture of the 2886, which is in the worst shape of any of the three engines on the property. It looks like it hasn't moved in at least a year. You can see that the long hood is still considered the front so I thought it was ex-Southern or N&W. That's neat that it's actually a survivor from the original Norfolk Southern.

Any idea about the heritage of the 2728? It has a long hood bell that suggests ex-Southern or N&W but the short hood is now marked front.

The third shot is the one piece of operative safety equipment I saw on the property - the battered "Stop" sign stuck in the ties in front of the derelict UP engines. Any idea what the story is behind these three? You can see part of the "mainline" going off into the woods to the right and I can't imagine anyone would seriously entertain thoughts of running six axle power down that track.

The only cars I saw on the interchange track were covered hoppers so I guess they were coming or going to Shaw Fibers. There was also one propane tank car a little further up the track so I assume there must be a propane dealer they service somewhere on the line. Considering that there's no industry of any kind in Georgiana except Hank Williams tourists (see last picture) and no towns of any size until you get Andalusia, the TNRR does seem to be a railroad in search of reason to exist. The G&O seems to be spending the absolute minimum needed to keep one of the two engines running and the ROW clear enough to run maybe a 10 car train a week. Maybe it's a tax write-off for the G&O or something but it sure is a sad sight. :(

Thanks, AL, that's some terrific information, way more than I could find on the web. Since you live in Alabama, I now formally induct you into the "Alabama Gang", a group of us who are slowly taking over this forum. Your certificate will be in the mail soon. :) Do you have any more information on how the Three Notch got its name other than my guess?

The "Alabama Gang" eh? Sounds like a plan!

The Three Notch got its name from a logging railroad that existed back in the 20's. It was a rather famous line that contributed a lot to the local economy. I'll double check my reference books to make sure on this.

Here's a closer picture of the 2886, which is in the worst shape of any of the three engines on the property. It looks like it hasn't moved in at least a year. You can see that the long hood is still considered the front so I thought it was ex-Southern or N&W. That's neat that it's actually a survivor from the original Norfolk Southern.

It was given a high nose by the SOU, then later chopped again. It arrived on the Atlantic & Gulf over in Albany, GA in full NS paint. It later went to the Chattahoochee & Gulf and Wiregrass Central.

Any idea about the heritage of the 2728? It has a long hood bell that suggests ex-Southern or N&W but the short hood is now marked front.

You are correct sir! 2728 and 2821 are both ex-SOU GP38's.

The third shot is the one piece of operative safety equipment I saw on the property - the battered "Stop" sign stuck in the ties in front of the derelict UP engines. Any idea what the story is behind these three? You can see part of the "mainline" going off into the woods to the right and I can't imagine anyone would seriously entertain thoughts of running six axle power down that track.

No G&O properties (to my knowledge) can run six-axle units, this is why the Gulf & Ohio invests so heavily in GP40's and GP40-2LW's. I suspect those UP motors are just in storage..I don't see the point of rebuilding units that you can't use.

The only cars I saw on the interchange track were covered hoppers so I guess they were coming or going to Shaw Fibers. There was also one propane tank car a little further up the track so I assume there must be a propane dealer they service somewhere on the line. Considering that there's no industry of any kind in Georgiana except Hank Williams tourists (see last picture) and no towns of any size until you get Andalusia, the TNRR does seem to be a railroad in search of reason to exist. The G&O seems to be spending the absolute minimum needed to keep one of the two engines running and the ROW clear enough to run maybe a 10 car train a week. Maybe it's a tax write-off for the G&O or something but it sure is a sad sight. :(

They operate 3 days a week, making the trip to and from Shaw Fibers. When they run, the 2886 is put on the back to make switching moves easier. I know Georgiana looks bad now, but back in the L&N/Seaboard days Georgiana was a hub for pulpwood traffic. There were tons of woodyards, especially right there South of the interchange. In the early days of the A&F, pulpwood traffic probably amounted to 1,500 cars per year.

Dynea has a plant at River Falls that takes in about 5 cars per week, not significant by any means, but every little bit helps. Occasionally a movement of a boxcar, tanker, and peanuts/grain hoppers will be sent to Andalusia and unloaded on one of the team tracks.

I suppose the moral of the story is that shortlines always have alternate sources of income.. For example, the TNHR has a sizeable fleet of open hoppers that it leases to private companies. That brings in a little bit of revenue. This sort of backup income can help even the most unprofitable lines show a little income.

EDIT: I attached the centerfold of the timetable, it is only one page. Please excuse the quality...it is still readable though. Notice how they spelled Andalusia wrong on the industry list..

AL, You are a fountain of knowledge about that area. I was hoping there was a railfan down there that might see this post.

You have to join us in ANPL Coffee Shop. Since football season is about to begin, it's time for the AG to start insulting each other again depending on which "A" team you're for. It's all in good fun of course. Just tell Flo breakfast is on me when pay a visit.

When I was looking at 2886 up close, the chop nose didn't look like an EMD job. Now I know why. I also assumed that the other two must have been ex-Southern, most likely, given the bell position on the long hood. They both actually look to be in better condition in pictures than in person. The G&O logo is some kind of vinyl sticker that's peeling off the engines. The paint job was really poorly done and rust that wasn't removed before the engines were painted is starting to come through.

The G&O web site makes a big deal about their locomotive rebuilding shops in Knoxville so I'm assuming the UP engines are being held for rebuilding for another customer. Seems like they could pick a better place than Georgiana since it appears that the local populace has already started trying to get the traction motor covers off for the copper.

I'm surprised that they run three days a week after looking at their engines. The walkways are clogged with leaves and twigs and it looks like nobody had walked over them in a few weeks. I t also looks like they don't have functioning air conditioners, which must be a lot of fun on a nice summer afternoon. :)

I could see the remains of the former yard mostly buried in the mud but some of the rails are still visible. It looks like it was a pretty busy place back in the days. Of course, Georgiana itself also looks like it has fallen on pretty hard times too. Seems like most shortlines do some car leasing to bring in extra income but even that source seems to be falling off now.

Cool timetable, thanks for taking the time to scan and upload it. If the maximum speed was 10 mph when it was run by the A&P, I can only think things have downhill from there. I don't know if the G&O did any track upgrades when they took over but all the mainline I could see in Georgiana looked to be in pretty marginal condition. Looks like the shippers in Geneva contributed a far bit of traffic before they went belly up. Is the mill at Dixon still in operation? It looks like they were a big shipper too by the capacity of the siding there.

I've got a book called "Railroads of Alabama" by Cline. It has an L&N map from 1932 that shows Georgiana as a major junction for the branch to Graceville, FL with another branch from Duvall, AL to Crestview, FL, connecting to Pensacola. How things have changed. I wonder if anyone has done an update to show all the ownership changes and abandoned lines?

Wow!
Al , that is very interesting to say the least.
Alabama has a lot more history than I ever realized.

I'm just east of Birmingham, near Leeds.
Leeds will be having a festival soon, touting the legend of John Henry, "the Steel Drivng Man".
There is a tunnel east of town that is supposed to be the location of the contest between man and steam driven equipment.
I hope to find out more later.

Thanks for sharing, and the Alabama Gang can always use another participant!:)
Mikey

Back