Thought I'd join in and say hi.

rlundy90

Armchair Engineer
Hi everyone. My name is Ron. I am a newcomer to model railroading and sofar haven't started on my layout. I have spent the last six months or so researching and collecting what I need to build it. I live a few miles from a small industrial railroad called The Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway or GWWD.It is a 100 mile point to point railway with a small swithching yard at each end.As far as I know there is noone else modelling it so thought I would make it my project.It is an interesting railway as there newest equipment was made around 1960. They run 3 MLWrs23 locos as well as a MLWs13. Also they have a 1922 Service car(Later to become Brill) still in operation.They have a string of 2 dozen Western Whelled Scraper air dump cars made in 1912 that until recently were also used. Driving past their yard is like going back in time. There are a few pictures of some of thier equipment posted in the railroad picture forum. This is a great forum and I can use all the help I can get in building this antique.Looking forward to some great conversation with all of you.Ron

Hello Ron, and welcome to the forum! :) There's a lot of helpful people here, including a number of them from Western Canada. That sounds like a very interesting layout project you're planning there.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.Took a look at the web page Spacemouse. Going by what you have said there it looks like I am on the right track.I have laid out a track plan on graph paper that I took out of a book I have. It shows the actual track with all switches and sidings. I have shortened it and modified it a bit to suit my needs. The finished layout will be about 45' long with an 8' extension at each end for the yards as well as 2-8' islands in the middle for a gravel loading facility and a bit of logging. The logging isn't part of the actual railroad, but I like the industry so it's going in to add a bit more interest for me. Also a lot more building as that is the part I like the best. As for locos I will be trying to convert 3 Proto 2000 S3's into Mlw RS23's. They are pretty close to what I am looking for. There used to be a kit for these locos made by Point ! models but it is out of production and at $300.00 out of my price range.I will post some pics of progress with these as I get going on them.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got it all planned out, so I'll say, I can't wait so see some of those models!

Hi Ron and welcome to the forum. A very interesting road you plan to model. Just wondering do you have a lead on some locos or do you plan on building them yourself?
While you are planning have a look through this section of the forum http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39
a place where you may find some ideas you'd like. There are many knowledgeable members here to answer your questions, all you have to do is ask.
smiley-cheers.png
Willis

Glad to meet you, Ron! Good folks with a lot of expertise on this forum, so ask away when you have questions. Otherwise, join some of us over in the Coffee Shop thread for some good ole and mostly off-topic gossip.

I don't have a lead on any locos. As far as I know there are no manufacturers of MLW RS23 engines other than Point 1 Models. They are no longer in business but Kaslo shops has all the tooling and plans to bring them out this year. To pricey for me though at $300.00 or more apeice. I will be kitbashing mine out of some Alco S3's. I bought 3 new Proto 2000 S3's and will be cutting them up and making my RS23's out of them. They are fairly similar. I originally bought a couple of atlas S2's to use but found out too late that the trucks were totally wrong.To convert them I have to cut out the grilles on each side and fill them in. Then one grill will be placed in front. Cab windows have to be filled in and reshaped as well as numerous other changes, but it is the closest I can find to the real thing.By the way the virtual layout tours are great.Ron

Hey Ron, great name.:D Welcome to the forum. As soon as you get a picture of that plan, through it up on the site. I would love to see it.

a MLWs13.
I had an acquaintance build one of those I'll look up the photo's if you like. I'm not sure of what he used. Life Like made a MLW RS18 PK1 but I don't know of they are still producing them since the Horizon takeover.
There were old train set RS11 shells by Life Like and Model Power that with some nerve you could build your RS13
smiley-cheers.png
Willis

So far the Alco s1,s2, and s3 are the closest thing I have found. The RS series Alcos are totally different with the cab in the centre part of the loco where as the Mlw RS23 and S13 are at the back like the Alco S1-S3. I am using the S3's as they have the right stly of truck and the hood is closer to the right stlye. I will still have to rework the whole loco to get it looking close but there is just nothing else out there that is close. These should be easy compared to the 2 railbuses I have to build from scratch.The first is a 1922 model 55 Service Motor Truck Co. (Later to become Brill) and a1928 Mack model AS Gas/Electric railcar.The Mack will be a tough one to build. Oh well, it'll keep me out of trouble.

Back