Those working with foam...

Dougget

Not sure if this question belongs in construction or scenery, but I'll give it a shot here.

I haven't started yet, but plan to build my base with (and have already purchased) blue foam, Dow board. One of my main lines will climb a 2% grade. I plan to make my own 2% risers and sculpt some extra foam sections to build the earthwork around the elevated track.

So, I'm prepared to cut a glue foam. No problem there. The question is, how should I deal with the gaps that I know I will have. From pictures I've seen, two pieces of foam never seem to mate up perfectly.

I'm thinking about using some colored ground foam and diluted glue to 'caulk' the gaps. What do you think?

Thanks,
Doug

PS: I'm very excited to get the foam on the table and finalize the track plan :)

You're referring to the horizontal gaps, correct? (As in, the two edges might not be cut perfectly straight so they won't press completely together)

I just covered mine with tape and painted over with dirt color. In some places I also put on WS 'coarse' foliage, where appropriate.

A strong tape would work, I used some packing tape i had handy. Caulk, wall patch filler/spackling, etc would seem to all be fine.

I've got a little bucket of Dap patching plaster that's already made up. That and a spatula will seal any small horizontal gaps. The tricky part is making sure that both pieces of foam are level with one another. A few horizontal gaps won't cause any problems but running from one piece of foam to another if they aren't level will cause big problems with your trains.

Yup, I'm talking about horizontal joints from stacking.

Thanks for the info. I just cleared off my table and put my first piece of foam on :) Slowly getting there.

Thanks,
Doug

Back