This one's for grande man

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
Here is my Rio Grande C44-9W that I custom painted. I thought he might want to see this, but that's just a hunch.:rolleyes:

IMG_6946.png

IMG_6938.png

Very nice! I've been a fan of the modern day fallen flags idea for some time. The work you did looks fantastic.

I like the thought of the Grande still bent on conquest of the Rockies. The thought of them doing it with GE power stretches my imagination though! :D

Very awesome, but I gotta agree with Grandeman, seems far fetched. But then again, D&GRW & SP were one & the same for some time, so with SP buying SD70M's, Dash 9's & AC4400CW's, D&RGW should have some too...

Great job, as always, Smoke. But I gotta ask...

How did you do the orange striping on the ends? I have a GP30 shell I want to paint in that color scheme, and I can't decide if it will be easier to mask and paint the stripes, or try to use a decal from the Microscale decal sheet. Either way, it looks to be a PITA - especially with the Mars light, marker lights, grab irons, etc. all over the front and back.

As for the modern fallen flag & GE loco thing - it would be plausible if the company retained the Rio Grande roadname after acquiring SP, instead of changing themselves to SP. Then they would have to have repainted all the old SP stuff in Rio Grande colors. Now wouldn't that be cool? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, the nose stripes look to be the Microscale sheet. My Microscale D&RGW sheet is just a tad lighter then the paint that I have from Polly Scale, and it looks like he used paint for the cab front around the number boards, the pilots and the side sills.

Great job, as always, Smoke. But I gotta ask...

How did you do the orange striping on the ends? I have a GP30 shell I want to paint in that color scheme, and I can't decide if it will be easier to mask and paint the stripes, or try to use a decal from the Microscale decal sheet. Either way, it looks to be a PITA - especially with the Mars light, marker lights, grab irons, etc. all over the front and back.

As for the modern fallen flag & GE loco thing - it would be plausible if the company retained the Rio Grande roadname after acquiring SP, instead of changing themselves to SP. Then they would have to have repainted all the old SP stuff in Rio Grande colors. Now wouldn't that be cool? :D

Josh is right, i useda decal for the striping. I used decal sheet # 87-28 fro this loco.
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...ode=87-28&Category_Code=DRGW&Product_Count=15

-Smoke

Smoke, using the decal is probably the best way to go... I might end up in a straightjacket trying to mask and paint the stripes. I take it you placed the decal on first, then cut out the nose light housing and window afterwards with a new #11 blade? Again, great job! Are you going to sell this on one eBay also? :D

Josh, I see what you mean about the color difference. I was actually going to go with the older lighter color (decal set 87-1128) because I'm doing an older engine. I'll be sure to test the corresponding paint first before painting the shell.

You might (most likely) be able to fade the paint out to match. I need to do this any take it a step beyond on the unit I'm working on. Couple weeks I'll show off some preliminary shots.

Smoke,

Nice job with the paint. But I agree with Grande Man. Techno-toaster looks strange in Black and Grande gold. EMD is the king on the Grande;)

Back