This may qualify for here...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Evening All,

A couple of days ago I started doing another scratch built building. Right now, it is going to be two story home with rooms and an attached two car garage. Exactly what it will consist of is as mysterious to me as it is to you guys.

This is what has been thus far:

Img_0368_zps43786751.jpg

Img_0372_zpsd601a0bb.jpg

Img_0370_zps92746511.jpg

Img_0376_zps87d13523.jpg

Img_0374_zps28eedfa4.jpg

The basic framing has been completed for 3 of the 5 sides of the structure as well as the rafters for the garage, some of which need to be slightly aligned. The flooring has been laid in, using flooring from North Eastern Lumber, and given its first coat of poly urethane to seal it.

The rafters for the garage have been cut to a 45 degree angle for roof height. An "attic" may appear in there some where.

You may notice the actual framing is sitting on top of the flooring instead of sitting directly on the sub frame. This was done to ensure the structure would be square upon completion.

All lumber has been cut using either a Micro Mark Cut off saw or a hand saw and trimmed (where needed) using a plain exacto knife. The joints where then lightly sanded with 220 grit paper. At the moment, the roofing joists have not been trimmed or sanded.

Titebond 3 wood glue is being used to keep the frame work in place and clamped to ensure a tight strong join. Clamping time is the equivalent of two games of Spider Solitaire :)

One other thing, the structures base measures about 8" X 5" at its widest and deepest points.

I think this is about all I can tell you at this point, so stay tuned for updates on progress - unless you don't want to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Tony. I like seeing the framework as much as seeing the finished structures. I'll stay tuned.
Spider solitaire was my favorite game until my Windows XP computer died. New one runs Windows 7 and no Spider! :(

Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like you're building a timber frame house. It would be fun to stop the build at some point and show it with a swarm of either 1) Mennonite or Amish workers topping off; or 2) a construction crew crawling all over it, with the concomitant tools, vehicles,etc.

Mike, Windows 7 should have Spider solitaire.

Try searching for it under the Start icon.

Nice looking building Tony.

Nice work Tony. I like seeing the framework as much as seeing the finished structures. I'll stay tuned.
Spider solitaire was my favorite game until my Windows XP computer died. New one runs Windows 7 and no Spider! :(

Doing the framing is probably the more interesting side of the build to me. After that, it becomes just a matter of cladding and there isn't too much skill required for that :)

Spider Solitaire, amongst a lot of other games, are available on Windows 7. Windows 7 is what I run also. Go into your Control Panel - Programs then (under Programs and Features) click on Turn Windows Features On or Off, then expand GAMES. Spider Solitaire, plus others, is in there :)

Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like you're building a timber frame house. It would be fun to stop the build at some point and show it with a swarm of either 1) Mennonite or Amish workers topping off; or 2) a construction crew crawling all over it, with the concomitant tools, vehicles,etc.

Correct. it is a timber framed house and I never thought about putting figures etc around it, that would be fun - thanks for the suggestion.

Mike, Windows 7 should have Spider solitaire.

Try searching for it under the Start icon.

Nice looking building Tony.

Thank you, so far so good and am trying to do different (slightly more challenging) things with this one.

Slow progress...

A little more completed on the framing ready for the "electrics" and dry wall to be put in place:

Img_0379_zps1acf85c9.jpg

Img_0381_zpsd3aed78e.jpg

Img_0384_zps5fb2d366.jpg

Img_0386_zpscc798796.jpg

Img_0382_zps5f579d12.jpg

The garage has been completed (frame wise) and am now in the process of deciding how to do the house side in terms of what will go where.

Doing the "Attic Window" has so far been the most the most frustrating. I really need to work out a better way of cutting in the frame work so there is a smoother transition from the wall and ceiling framing to the window roof framing.

The next thing that is going to be a little frustrating, and very time consuming, will be putting in the wiring for the lights. My intention was to run the wires through the studs, like any home would be wired, but am not sure if the 18 gauge wire is going to be small enough without effecting the structures stability. Something to play around with over the next day or two I guess :)

At this point, I would like to put "carpet" in the house itself. Anyone done that before? If so, what did you use to replicate carpet? If not, any thoughts, ideas for doing this?

Thanks everyone and with any luck, the next update will include a bit more framing and some wiring.

Just took a look at the shots and, from the pictures, it looks as though the rear wall frame is warped. Trust me, it isn't! :)

Just a few of the "actual work" in progress. A garage roof section in place and waiting to dry:

Img_0387_zpsfa893bc3.jpg

Img_0391_zps695456a7.jpg

Img_0389_zps20de0c43.jpg

Sorry if they are bit dark, photographing "black on black" isn't the smartest thing I have done recently :)

A little more has been done to the garage. The front "attic window" has been completed as well as the roof base put on. The back of the garage has been enclosed with a window and the electrics for the garage are in:

IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0398.jpgIMG_0393.jpg

Sorry about the size and quality of the photo's, I had to format my system the other night and haven't gotten around to reinstall photoshop.

I am really impressed at how you got everything to line up using the individual rafter parts and not complete rafters.

I ended up making all the rafters first, then adding roof boards and lastly setting the whole arrangement on the top plate:

IMG_4604.jpg

Afterwords, I had to shave some off some of the bottom of the rafteres, too. The scale lumber used was not always precise in dimension.

Lookin good, Tony!!!!! lasm

It looks like a bunch of 1" carpenters showed up ready to work. Bet they had a heck of a time with those clamps. Maybe they rented a crane. Looking good Tony!

lasm,

Thank you and personally, I think the way you did yours, which looks great by the way, is harder than doing it the way I do. Once I get the angle and length right for the rafters (or pretty close) I just cut a heap using the first as a template and so on. Generally I'l cut them a smidgen longer and then trim them so they all end up the same length. I do that for joists, studs and bearers as well. Once they are in place on the frame work I go around and sand trim them.

I will say this though, building the "real thing" is a whole lot easier!

It looks like a bunch of 1" carpenters showed up ready to work. Bet they had a heck of a time with those clamps. Maybe they rented a crane. Looking good Tony!

Thanks mate and wish I knew where I could hire those 1" carpenters again - would make my job easier :) Not sure how they managed those clamps, I did hear some strange grunting noises the other night though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scott. This is a slow process as I have no idea where I am going with it. I am fast appreciating that obtaining the level of detail I intended to get is not that easy, due to the size of the model. As such, some compromises have had to be made.

I have recently bought a bunch of windows and doors from Northeasternscalelumber, which look great but also, where the windows are concerned, look too big for HO scale despite being in the HO Windows and Door section of their site. I should have stayed with Rusty Stumps Laser cut products, live and learn I guess.

That has slowed things down and I will now probably make my own windows for the building. They wont look as good in terms of detail, but will at least look as though they "fit" the scale and not look out of place.

The next problem I have to think about is creating the second floor. While that may sound easy by just putting in a piece of clap board or something, the putting in of stairs from the ground floor has complicated it a little. Have to admit that I did say I wanted to do something more than just a box :)

The self imposed frustration is starting to show in the model as well, and that annoys me no end, believe me. Alignment mistakes that should NOT have been made for example, despite the fact that those mistakes will not be seen when the model is completed. I know they are there and that is what erks me. This has also slowed things, making me take a step back, refocus and get back to placing more attention to the detail and precision.

In short, if I'm not happy with something, why should anyone else be happy with it!

Darn, seems like I have deviated from your comment quite a bit. Sorry for the "venting" as I'm sure no one wants to hear it.

Just a little more framing completed on the house in readiness for the second floor to be installed:

IMG_0399.jpg

I really have to locate my photoshop and get it installed .....

A little more done...

Am making slow progress and have actually begun the house side of the project. The interior wall cladding is in on the left side, stairs to a landing (1/2 way), front framing and window in place, entrance laid out and one more rafter in place.

You'll notice that the wiring from the garage runs through the interior wall toward the back. From there it will run through the rear wall. All my wiring will eventually run through that same space. That wiring will be hidden inside an upstairs cupboard. My only issue with the wiring is how to conceal it when installing the ground floor lights. I'm hoping I will have room to run the wires between the two floors.

Anyway, here are some shots of the work:

IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG

Can only upload 4 pics so will upload the other 4 in the next post.

Back