This is only a test.

This is only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, I wouldn't be sitting here telling you about it. :eek: :D :D :D

Yes, I did request that folks try them out, and see if they were working. I found a problem (can't recall exactly what it was, attachments didn't work I think) but now they're up and running.

So, now I've got another favor/request to ask. Invite all of your model railroad friends and let's get this forum going. We have a lot of potential here. The software works well, you've got plenty of room to spread out, we can add more topics if needed.

So far we're getting some activity, probably as much as we did over in the other forum, but there's certainly potential for a lot more. So ask questions, post your photos, talk about you layout whatever. Right now it's a lot like those Junior High dances where everyone stands around waiting for somebody else to make the first move or say something first.

Let's get some good discussions going, and if you have any comments or ideas on how we can encourage folks to post more, let me know!

HI Bob, well I sent the link to the few remaining on my list, might have been better if there was a clickable link to an " Invite your friends page " with "canned" type of invite letter. Just an idea.
Cheers Willis

Let's get some good discussions going, and if you have any comments or ideas on how we can encourage folks to post more
There are some pretty good discussion ( and break the ice topics ) just waiting for some one to post to them. On that I'm guilty for not replying to the topics, time I just have a lot of right now. Seeing that this is the end of summer, Atlas forum is back up, start of school season and labour day weekend a lot of people are in the same boat. One suggestion might be an off topic folder where posts could be about anything within forum guidelines. I'd wait till the end of Sept to see if the traffic picks up again.
Cheers Willis

Good ideas, Willis! I'll have to retrieve some funnies from my Cousin Ruth and post them in the ANPL Clubcar. They're not railroading stories, but they're cute. You're right about the timing. Everyone is enjoying summer activities while they can. Some of our modelers might have less time to spend here once school starts, but others may get back to modeling once the yard chores become less demanding.

I hope I've beat the publication deadline for the local Garden Railway Society's next newsletter. We have over 300 families as members, so a reminder there shouldn't hurt.

CB&CNSfan said:
One suggestion might be an off topic folder where posts could be about anything within forum guidelines. I'd wait till the end of Sept to see if the traffic picks up again.
Cheers Willis
Obviously you've not spent enough time in our ANPL clubcar. :)

That's the official off-topic, where everything but model railroading is on topic. The rules are simple, keep it clean, no religion or politics, and other than that have at it!

As for waiting until the end of September, I'm patient but I'd also like to keep trying to encourage folks to show up and get active. It's like a party, once the conversation reaches a certain level, it will flow freely and we'll have lots of posts. So, there's no reason to wait, let's get started!

newbie test

Just checking to see if I can post. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Yep! you can and welcome to the Model RailroadForums, try some of the topics being discussed or you can start one of your own. Looking forward to your posts

Cheers Willis

There are a lot of forums out there.Making this one stand out is going to take some doing.
While its nice to have a wide variety of topics,getting really focused on 1 or 2 and covering those really well may help to bring folks from other sites.

I am currently registered with 7 differant MR forums and visit all of them occassionally but Time is a factor.When i have little time I go to 1 or 2 only and these are the forums that cover my interests best while maintaining a sense of decorum(minimul flaming etc)
Just something to think about folks!!
I will say that the V bulletin format is my favorite :)

When i have little time I go to 1 or 2 only and these are the forums that cover my interests best
Hi Tileguy, well actually untill you post, ask questions, and tell us what some of your interests are, we members have no idea of what you are looking for. I myself at first when I joined, thought there weren't enough topics. For the person with limited forum time there are several options to use ( Active Topics ) (Quick Links ) which has several shortcuts to active threads. To the best of my knowledge, Flaming is not tolerated on this forum. Anyway let us know what you are interested in ( start a thread ) and use the options to follow only the threads you are interested in. Have to go now So Cheers and welcome to the forum Willis

Thanks for the welcome Willis.
I consider myself at amateur level in most aspects with more knowledge in some area's than in others.I consider wiring my weakest link for sure with construction methods my stongest(I am a contractor by trade).
I am currently building an around the walls (3 sides) N scale layout.I have torn out 2 previous attempts in the last 4 years but ive learned from each.I am modelling a freelance railroad circa 1953 with a GN (main)DM&IR (regional)Flavor.
For an N scale layout i would consider it to be of decent size without being overwhelming.Actual layout area is aproximately 55-60 s/f total
left sidewall is 26"x 10' Right Sidewall is 26" x 10' Center section is 3' 5' between sidewall sections.
The right sidewall has a small penninsular type wide out in back to accomodate a canyon area and comes out an additional 22"(I have access to all area'swith 2 small area's having underlayout access for dealing with hidden staging and tunnels.)
The trackplan is a twice around simple Dogbone.Control will be with a Digitrax Zephyr and the layout will have 2 reversing sections.
It will include an Urban Scene(large) ,an industrial area,a small port scene with a rural flavor and alot of scenery.As yet i have not included a yard but have a 4 track hidden staging area. Behind the right wall section i hve an L shaped workbench and this will eventually become a large yard and engine service facility.I have 2 leads to form a Wye leading into this area already laid out.This area will be the last area to be completed.I live in an area with few model rr folks and he nearest hobby shop is 70 miles away.generally i am a lone wolf modelor and work on my layout in spurts.I have the mainline track mostly complete, the hidden staging completed,and the canyon and harbor area roughed in.I am not dealing with any real grades per se but have scenick cut aways and rises planned to vary the terrain.
Operations are of high interest to me and one day I hope to see this 3rd attempt actually drive that golden spike :)
Well,that should give you an idea where i am at.See ya round the boards ;)

Sounds like a neat layout to me!

I've used 3 different forums but only for a couple months so I'm still learning some of the terminology...so here's my "dumb rookie" question :eek: whats "flaming" ?

...so here's my "dumb rookie" question whats "flaming" ?
Flaming manifests itself as rude nastiness such as personal attacks, baiting or arguments. I hope you don't experience it here, but if you do, let the mods know by using the "report bad post" feature --- the red triangle at the top of the post. We have our dousing buckets ready. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back