This could be fun. (New camera)

Everyone has mentioned extra memory cards, don't forget extra batteries. At the NMRA convention last year I had a digital camera for the first time, and ran out of battery power half way through a day of layout tours. :(

If you're looking for extra batteries and such, check out eBay. They have generic ones that are a fraction of the cost of Canon ones. Other accessories are often available at great prices too.

extra batteries...ummm....more like extra power pak with extra batteries...
when you are running at full mega pixels 10 plus and in some cases using the flash...need more power SCOTTY! beam me up! Warp speed! ...oh where was I yeah um err....it just a good idea to have power paks as in 2 of them.

If you need normal batteries, you need a new camera, is my mind set. My camera comes with a battery, and lasts me almost 2 HOURS shooting 7MP pictures, 1000+ pictures.

I was referring to the rechargable batteries standard on most digital cameras now. A two hour battery life isn't enough when on an all day layout tour. eight to ten hours riding a bus, taking a LOT of pics, mostly indoors with flash. And no way to recharge it on the bus.

Rechargeables are the way to go. I have a pile of 2900maH AA batteries for those cameras who need those. Plus, extras of the special batteries for specific cameras.

For my 5D and 10D, the BP511s last quite a long time. Usually a couple of cards worth of pics. Using the built-in flash does take a toll, so an extra set or two is useful. But, I don't use the flash that much if the layout is well-lit. I can set the camera up with a faster ASA for the lower light stuff.

I took these on the NMRA 2005 Convention layout tours:

http://www.pbase.com/haggiskennedy/layout_tour_pics&page=all

No flash on any of them. Dave Puthoff's layout was the darkest of the bunch.

Kennedy

Back