This could be fun. (New camera)

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I just had to tell ya'll, I finally ordered a new Canon Digital Rebel XTi SLR camera! Needless to say, I'm a little pumped! ;) I've wanted a Rebel for what seems like forever and am looking forward to shooting model pics, historical sites and proto shots. It'll be another week of so before it arrives. I hope I don't blow a current limiter waiting. :D I'm sure there will be quite a learning curve to it, but this should be fun.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Congrats Eric,

I think you'll be be amazed at what you can do with it. You can even shoot photos good enough to get published in MR with that model!

Good luck with your new toy Grande Man, i was looking at a camera today a fellow rail fan was useing, not sure what it was but it was fantastic, no other way to describe it.

Congrats Eric,

I think you'll be be amazed at what you can do with it. You can even shoot photos good enough to get published in MR with that model!

Now all I have to do is model good enough to get published in MR... :D

I'm looking forward to learning the ropes with the Digital Rebel XTi. Who knows, maybe we could get a pic or two submitted anyway.

Now all I have to do is model good enough to get published in MR... :D

I'm looking forward to learning the ropes with the Digital Rebel XTi. Who knows, maybe we could get a pic or two submitted anyway.
Good luck, if you're not successful, pitch to RMC, or ask Joe if we can do a "modeler's corner" type thing on his magazine.

Sounds great!

Here's a suggestion to try, if you have a tripod.

Set up the camera and crank on all the lights over the part of the layout you want to take a pic of. Set the aperture to f22 or so. Then, work the exposure to whatever it comes out to (like it might be 30 sec). Use the timer to count down to the shutter trip.

You'll be amazed by how much dust will show up on your model, if you've not cleaned them in awhile! Or, more likely, the depth of field you'll get out of this.

If you have a zoom lens, so much the better. Step back a bit, and use the zoom to zero in to your subject. Guarantee you won't get any fuzziness.

:D

Kennedy

Keep in mind DSLRs do not come with memory cards. You will need some CF (Compact Flash) type cards.

Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the tips and comments. Bob, does this look like everything I'll need to get started? I've also got "upgrades" of a higher capacity battery, High Def Pro Wide Angle Lens/w Macro-58mm, and air shipping because I bought Canon's 5 year warranty... I never do extended warranties but they caught me in a moment of weakness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130092970231&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26sbrftog%3D1%26catref%3DC6%26from%3DR10%26ga10244%3D10425%26satitle%3D130092970231%2B%2B%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC6%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D2%26sadis%3D200%26fpos%3D35180%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26coaction%3Dcompare%26copagenum%3D1%26coentrypage%3Dsearch%26fgtp%3D%26fvi%3D1

...I bought Canon's 5 year warranty... I never do extended warranties but they caught me in a moment of weakness....

My parents bought a two-year "run it over with your car and we'll give you a new one" warranty when they bought me a Z3 for Christmas two years ago. The store manager (who we've know for years) basically said it would make sense to 'accidentally' drop it in the pool a couple months before the warranty ran out, since the store would give me the next generation model if the Z3 was no longer available. The warranty ran out last December though, and I couldn't bring myself to do anything to it :eek:

Grande Man~

May I suggest you go to this website to get you some of those memory cards you will need and also to get your zoom lens...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

good luck on your new ventures with your camera....

Tiger Direct is good, but I buy more from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Store/Camera.aspx?name=Digital-Cameras) now. Their shipping costs are usually lower and it is much faster (3 days at the most). Newegg customer service is AWESOME as well! I just built another computer this past week. The case arrived with a broken hinge on the front cover door, and since I was in a time crunch I didn't want to send it back for a replacement. I emailed them and they cannibalized another case and sent me a new front! :)

I haven't looked at Tiger for awhile so I don't know how the digicam selection compares, but it's worth a look...

You know... I bought all my camera equipment from Abe's of Maine. $1000 Sony camera for $799, free shipping, free camera bag, free 1GB CF card, free camera kit, ect... Plus when they delayed on my shipping, they sent a free 512MB Sony Memorystick Duo.

Thanks for the links. The kit comes with a 1GB card. If my math skills have improved since the third grade (doubtful :D ), I should get a minimum of about 100 pics on it. Right? Maybe I should get a 2GB card to go with it...

The 18-55mm lens is considered a 'kit' lens (think train set locomotive), but is probably serviceable for what you want to do. It will be short for railfanning; looking at all the photos I've shot, the majority of them are in the 75-115mm range using my 28-300 zoom.

As far as the 1gig card goes, if you're on the Largest JPG/Best Quality setting, you ought to get around 200 pics per card. My 5D (12.1mp) gets around that on a 1gig card; my 10D (6.2mp) gets that on a 512mb card....

Kennedy

You probably want to get spare cards anyway, just in case. I get mine from Newegg. I probably have about a half-dozen cards of various sizes.

Kennedy

Thanks for the advice on the lens Kennedy. That's one of the beauties of the dSLR, the interchangeable lens. Can we mention the additional lens to Mrs Grande at a later date? :D

Back