thinking at getting out of model railroad

Been a rough year my health as been bad and the medical bills have destroyed any chance to buy lumber and train equipment or even FD das. So I got a empty room with boxes of model railroad stuff just sitting there. Plus I planed to up grade my rolling stock and found its not worth it that's over half my rolling stock. Now July forts I go in for ablation heart surgery so the med bill will sky rocket. Anyone have a though on why I should stay with it or a good place to sell what I got.

Things change. Will your health only deteriorate?

Sometimes you need to hold onto stuff you like. How about a small diorama, or two, or...? (They could be components of a future layout.)

Don't get too excited about selling your stuff. Typically, you never get anywhere near what you paid for it. Just piddle around with what you've got. Consider it therapy.

Prayers for your surgery.

I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. What a bummer. Hope you get through the surgery well.

I too wouldn't jump at selling off what you have. Maybe a large room filling layout won't be possible, but perhaps a small switching layout could work for you. Had a friend a number of years back who went through some health problems and he also couldn't build his dream layout, but instead built a small shelf layout and it ended up being good therapy for him.

Well that is a real bummer. Our medical bills have been very high for the last 7 years as well as my wife is fighting cancer. Although our insurance is pretty good I can have some empathy.

There is nothing wrong with having an empty room with boxes of model railroad stuff sitting there. In fact, I have a dedicated room just for having boxes of model railroad stuff to sit in. I keep thinking that sometime in the future I'll get too it. Selling stuff is usually just a big loss, so if there is any chance of getting back to it in the future, I think I would just hold on. I had some fun about a month ago by just throwing a loop of track out onto the floor and watching a train.

The heart should be a improvement if the surgery works and there no problems the other health problems are becoming worst but for the most part are not life theating the mass they found last year don't appear to be a problem

Best of luck to you. I think you had best deal with one crisis at a time. Put your energy into dealing with your health. The trains are patient and won't run away. In time, it might make a lot of sense to sell, or even to give up, but your cart is running away with your horse. Get the horse back in front!!

You will have more time, and with some luck an improved situation, to think more objectively about the future, and whether or not it will include trains in any form. Let's wait and see what the next six weeks bring.

Best of luck to you. I think you had best deal with one crisis at a time. Put your energy into dealing with your health. The trains are patient and won't run away. In time, it might make a lot of sense to sell, or even to give up, but your cart is running away with your horse. Get the horse back in front!!

You will have more time, and with some luck an improved situation, to think more objectively about the future, and whether or not it will include trains in any form. Let's wait and see what the next six weeks bring.

Keep it! Even you're just going to keep it stored away. You'll find your interest again someday, and I bet it'll bring some joy back into your life. I have a lot of hobbies and I never sell anything. Back in 1990, I bought a brand new, limited-edition Fender HM Strat for $400. I still have it, and they now sell used for $800-$900 on eBay. I wish I still had all of my old computers: My Apple II clone, a Franklin Ace (I loved that thing!), my Amiga 2000, etc. You hear so many stories of people selling off their collections only to regret it later.

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Wish you well . . .

I agree with Crandell, focus on the "task" at hand, i.e. getting through the surgery and recovery and push these other worries to the side until after then. Your surgery being next month leaves no time to do anything about your trains anyway. Just close the room's door for now and put them out of your mind. Just so you know I'm not speaking from a lack of experience, quad heart bypass in 2004 and almost total large bowel removal in 2010 as the major surgeries. Still here. Good luck and stay positive.

Sorry to hear all this!
You've already received some pretty good advice, not much I can add.
I can tell you I've had as much fun running on a shelf layout as I've had on a monster layout.
Keep that in mind and as has been said its all therapy.

Back