The world's longest lasting model loco project

C

catt

Anybody remember when RPP brought out the SD60 shell and frame? That's when I started this project.It was the easiest way to get a proper length frame for this beastie.At this point everything you see except for the drivetrain is RPP.I may get it finished this year. :D

sdp45-3.jpg

sdp45-1.jpg

sdp45-2.jpg

The shell exstention is done with the rearend of a RPP GP35 shell.

I have alot to do to it yet,but I'm in no hurry cause I don't have anyplace to run it anymore.

SDP45? Looks nice, I was about to debate that "longest project" concept, then I thought back, and realized I picked up my SD60M just as Athearn was getting RPP!!! So, add about a year to that and you hit my oldest of efforts, most of which are done... My my, you better get kicking... I wanna see what she looks like done!

Well I'm still putzing with the SDP45.I just redid the hardwire job.I have also just finished notching the short hood for the brakewheel.

I think I'm finally at the point where I have to decide just how much detailing I want to do on this big beast.I have laser cut flush windows coming for it to be used in the RPP cab,I have a fuel tank detailing kit,and a bunch of other detailing parts.

I;m thinking I should get her finished about the time I retire in 2011.:eek:

catt said:
Anybody remember when RPP brought out the SD60 shell and frame? That's when I started this project. I may get it finished this year.
Interesting, but I'll bet it isn't even close to the "longest lasting model loco project". I've got an RS-3 that I stripped down to the bearings in order to tune up and then wedge in some electronics. After that it was supposed to go to the paint shop. This was started before SD60s were even manufactured by EMD. I'm not even certain that is the oldest project sitting about, just the oldest specific one I can think of off the top of my head.

Duh, Maybe you need to start getting on that RS3! I thought my units took long, at a Year & a half in the running...

Back