THe World Turned (Almost) Upside Down.

rbwhale

My N scale layout, designed to be folded up against my study wall, is proceeding but, as I was preparing to start gluing down my Kato unitrack with DAP acrylic caulk, I was struck by the following thought. Ouch:

Most glued down track remains horizontal. Mine will be rotated 90 degrees relative to the wall which means gravity will be trying to pull it toward the floor. I glued a test piece of unitrack down with 8 dabs of caulk and, after it sets, I can still move it a little by pulling it horizontally. Is the acrylic caulk too flexible to stop the vertical track from moving or sagging? is something Like Gorilla Glue construction adhesive, or something else, more likely to remain rigid enough to keep track from sagging or breaking loose entirely?

As always your input is greatly appreciated.
rbwhale

Are you gluing to foam? I used Liquid Nails For Projects (because it won't destroy the foam) and it is rock solid. I can't know for sure but I suspect it would do the trick. Just make sure you let it set up completely before folding up the layout. Good luck

You could try an adhesive caulk, they have it at the hardware store.

It goes on just like regular caulk. I use it all over my layout where I want something glued permanently. Like wood risers for elevated tracks.

Actually, Willie, I used straight pins to hold my N gauge track down. But then, I'm not inverting my table either, lol.

I used Elmers Glue-all to glue down cork roadbed, Then I laid out all my Atlas Flex Track and Peco turnouts on the cork and pushed straight pins through the little pre-drilled holes down through the cork and into the foam board. It's been that way for a good 4-5 months now and still holding well. Worked so well, I just hit the top of the pin heads with a black Sharpie to tone them down a bit.

I use Liquid nails to glue the roadbed to the plywood base. I use a flexible caulk to attach the track to the cork roadbed. I found that by laying a very thin bead along the outside edge of the ties will hold the track very good and if ya need to rip it up later it's easy to separate from the cork with a sharp edge just under the tie.

Are you gluing to foam? I used Liquid Nails For Projects (because it won't destroy the foam) and it is rock solid. I can't know for sure but I suspect it would do the trick. Just make sure you let it set up completely before folding up the layout. Good luck
I am gluing to 2" XPS foam. Would you advise attaching at several spots along the piece of track or just laying down a bead and spreading it flat, so that the entire edges of the unitrack roadbed are in contact?

Back