The Weathering Thread

uspscsx

The Name's Really Matt...
I don't know how many weatherers there actually are here, but I decided to create a thread just for weathering. I, by no means, am an expert, but I have weathered a bit. I weather under the name Appalachian Weathering and Modelworks(eBay). [If that is considered "advertising," let me know and I'll edit it out.] C'mon in, show your weathered models and share your knowledge!

Here are a few pics of things I've done/am doing.

6e_1_b.jpg

"Before" pictures(eBay) of the two hoppers to follow.

P9301217.png

Progress...

PA051231.png

Leads to this. There's a little story involved with this one: I had applied a wash to it that absolutely messed up the car cosmetically. So I decided to try a method of "fading" lettering by using sandpaper. Well, I rubbed a little too hard, leaving hideous marks down the car. As a result, it went into the "trash pile"(As I call it), UNTIL I discovered the magical secrets hidden in Rich Divizio's weathering forums. So, I experimented, and came up with that seen above.

PA051241.png

PA051243.png

PA051244.png

Close-ups of the side of the hopper.

PA051237.png

Blurry hatch shot.

I finally decided to experiment with a RailBox. This one's for me to keep(Once I get finished..duh ;)):

P9301194.png

Here are my first two projects to go up on eBay.

P9030975.png

P9030976.png

P9030989.png

My first ever: A Roundhouse CSX/SBD mill gondola with load. "Transportation" patched, as per prototypes. Sold for $12.87.

P9131093.png

P9131096.png

My second: A Walthers Santa Fe 2-bay cement hopper. I combined about 10 or so prototypes into this one. Sold for $15.90.

Now, let's see some of yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ughh, sorry about the huge photos earlier, but Mr. Railbox and Mrs. Gondola did not seem to want to be resized properly.

Ok, enough of the teasing, we need how-to details. :D

I've got a weathering method I use. Do you want me to post it here or start a new thread (it's gonna be kinda long)?

grande man said:

I've got a weathering method I use. Do you want me to post it here or start a new thread (it's gonna be kinda long)?
I say post it here. After all, this IS "The Weathering Thread." :D

SWEET, I've been trying to find tips to layer weathering, i have a longerunner set that'll need it soon.

Ok, here goes...

My method isn't as detailed as we've seen above. It's great for quickly getting a realistic weathered effect on a fleet of models though. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, and there's usually a right way, a wrong way, and Grande Man's way. :D

The "victim" and supplies.
113512628.jpg

The first step with lighter colored models is to "soot" them with black chalk. Cover the whole model. I prefer an angled brush to work chalk into all the nooks and cranies.
113512618.jpg

Using a paper towel dampened with "wet water" (small amount of detergent, used in scenery work), clean excess soot using a verticle wiping motion. The idea is to leave streaks where they would accumulate on the real thing such as around structure that's above flush.
113512620.jpg

At this point, coat the model with Dull Cote. Since the wheels have been removed, try to keep the spray out of the truck journals. Dull Cote "sets" the black previously added, while at the same time, toning it down somewhat. It also creates a surface that "grabs" lighter colored chalk soon to be added.
113512614.jpg

Using the same brush, add dirt and rust. Since we model the West, little rust is used. Lighter grays can also be added to the lower areas where ballast dust would accumulate on the prototype.
113512626.jpg

We use Floquil Rail Brown to paint wheels. Be sure to keep paint off the bearing area and treads. The trucks are dry brushed with Rail Brown and chalk highlights are added.
113512623.jpg

Presto! The finished hopper at CF&I's Split Rock Mine #4.
113512634.jpg

One thing I didn't mention. Dull Cote give windows a glazed look. It looks ok for trailing locos in a consist but you're better off taping caboose/loco windows with scotch tape and trimming with an Exacto before applying Dull Cote. If you were careful, you could do a great rendition of windshield wiper marks on a dirty window.

Well I finally got my notification :)

I do have a how to for this car, but it's so late I will try and get it organized for a Saturday posting. Also thanks Eric for the invite over. Even if MR does end the lockdown, I noticed from lurking while waiting to get the okay, there seems to be a pretty nice group of folks here.

Here is a PT box car I did:

aai.sized.jpg

Here is my first real weathering attempt with chalks, oils and glue:

abp.sized.jpg

I plan on doing a step-by-step for my next "eBay car." With the RailWire competition and working on models for eBay...It might be mid-October before I can do it. BUT! I will add in a few things I have learned.

Excellent thread, I'll have to bookmark this one!

I've been experimenting with weathering locos. I didn't document my technique because I wasn't sure how they would turn out, but I was pleased with the results. When I have more time later, I'll post a few pics.

Excellent thread, I'll have to bookmark this one!
I agree, weathering is something I haven't attempted yet. Of course I'm not much of a painter either. Sprayed one last night, it went on in globs then run down the sides and pooled in places, and looked translucent in others. I wiped it all off as best I could using a rag and Q tips, not the best I know but they were handy. Re sprayed it again from about 18", seemed to go on in a fine spray, no pooling or runs just a nice even coat and I can't see any wipe off marks either. I'm still in a state of shock :eek: because of how good it turned out. LOL I used the whole bottle of Badger paint .

13.gif
Willis

Grande Man,
You paint your cars' wheelsets Rail Brown? One thing I notice around this part of Coal Country is that their wheelsets aren't brown...They always seem to be a grimy black. That's what I paint my wheelsets with. I have started to experiment with Polly Scale Rust Brown, Oily Black, and Grimy Black. But, for coal hoppers, I suggest using Polly Scale Grimy Black.

Not that the Rail Brown doesn't look good!:)

uspscsx said:
Grande Man,
You paint your cars' wheelsets Rail Brown? One thing I notice around this part of Coal Country is that their wheelsets aren't brown...They always seem to be a grimy black. That's what I paint my wheelsets with. I have started to experiment with Polly Scale Rust Brown, Oily Black, and Grimy Black. But, for coal hoppers, I suggest using Polly Scale Grimy Black.

Not that the Rail Brown doesn't look good!:)

I'll have to give it a try. I'm wondering how it would look dry brushed over the Rail Brown?

I've got an old Badger airbrush that I've never used. I cleaned it up the other day and am itching to try it out. There's no telling what'll end up in the scrap heap... :D

grande man said:
I'll have to give it a try. I'm wondering how it would look dry brushed over the Rail Brown?

I've got an old Badger airbrush that I've never used. I cleaned it up the other day and am itching to try it out. There's no telling what'll end up in the scrap heap... :D
:D

Drybrushed over Rail Brown? Sounds about right to me. You'll have to post photos if you try it!

grande man said:

Take a look here and here . This sites are really awesome :)

Stefan

Ryan

That Cov Hopper is excellent. Thumbs Up work on that.

dthurman said:
Ryan

That Cov Hopper is excellent. Thumbs Up work on that.

I'll second that! Ryan, how many of these have you done? I'd imagine that a fleet of rolling stock could take a while to do. Man, what a great looking fleet it'd be though!

Back