The use of pandrol tie fasteners

NYC_George

I played golf today with a friend of mine who just retired from a supervisor position on the railroad. I asked him about the swirl clips used on the rails just north Brewster, NY where the ice breakers are located. He said their called pandrol rail fasteners. He went on to say, the Hudson, Harlem and NH lines don’t use spikes anymore. They use only these fasteners. The railroad buys three different types, one for concrete ties, one for wooden ties, and one for bridge ties. They are stronger than spikes and they do away with the creepers that use to stop the rail from creeping forward.

I also asked him about the ice breakers. He said, the railroad calls them rake blocks. They rake off any thing from the train that may damage the third rail. He also said, one fourth mile down from the rake blocks there’s a tell tale. If the rake block doesn’t do the job what ever is still there will hit the tell tale which in turn sends a message to the train dispatcher’s office. The dispatcher will then stop the train.

One other thing he said is that when they install ribbon rail they heat it until it reaches its maximum expanding point. This is so the rail cannot expand later on and bow out. It may contract and crack, in which case the signal will stop the train, but if it bows the signal will not detect this.

The link to the company who makes these fasteners and some photos of the different types is at

http://pandrolusa.com/

NYC_George

Pandrol is just one company, they just happen to be the main supplier.

Tie clips are nice, as they eliminate the travel of a spike.

Where were you playing golf today?:confused: I didn't think it was warm enough anywhere in the 48 for that.:eek:

I lot of people as me that question especially when it’s 20 degrees out. We drove down to Clearview Park, Queens, NY just over the Whitestone Bridge. It’s open all year as long as it’s not snowed in. The ground was frozen but it wasn’t that bad of a day. I shot 92 7 over my handicap of 15.

NYC_George

My hobbies are trains 2 days a week, golf no matter how cold it is 2 days a week and I play the horses 3 days a week. If playing the horses is going to be one of your hobbies you better be good at it because their extremely hard to beat and like any type of gambling you need 100% self control or don't gamble.

George

I lot of people as me that question especially when it’s 20 degrees out. We drove down to Clearview Park, Queens, NY just over the Whitestone Bridge. It’s open all year as long as it’s not snowed in. The ground was frozen but it wasn’t that bad of a day. I shot 92 7 over my handicap of 15.

NYC_George

You Sir are a far more dedicated golfer then I, and I salute you for it.

Macjet compared to working in the winter on a 50 story hi raise where you can have 60 mph winds and wind chills up to 18 below zero, golfing in 20 degree weather is like a walk in the park. I just about froze to death my last 10 years in the business. I don’t think I could have made it one more year.

NYC_George

Macjet compared to working in the winter on a 50 story hi raise where you can have 60 mph winds and wind chills up to 18 below zero, golfing in 20 degree weather is like a walk in the park. I just about froze to death my last 10 years in the business. I don’t think I could have made it one more year.

NYC_George

You boys have thicker blood then me. I prefer the air warm and my tea cold.:D

Back