The Union Pacific Soggy Bottoms Subdivision (HO scale)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
Thanks, Jerry! I believe that word you're looking for is 'hue'. Hew is what you do to an unwanted tree. The light leak is due to the wires just being draped over the wall. I still need to drill the exit hole for them. I'm already working on the next workbench project. Should be done with that in an hour or so.
(OK. Finished it! https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/track-cleaning-car.33020/ )

Last edited:

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I got the Struct-O-Lite applied on the vertical faces of the decline, although I seem to have missed a few spots. :oops:
That's not a big deal, though. I can get those when I do the incline side. I find that mixing it until it's pretty thin, then painting the area it's to be applied to with water works pretty good. It's thin enough to be workable, but the dry plaster cloth won't suck all the moisture out of it instantly.
001.JPG

My little 0-6-0 can pull 10 cars plus the caboose on level track, but it can only get 2 cars and the caboose up a 2% 28" radius incline, so I think the little guy is going to be restricted to the flats.
002.JPG

My Athearn Blue Box SD7, which has a Digitrax DH123 decoder in it, can pull 10 cars around the loop with no problem. My Athearn RTR SD45 can do the same. 10 cars will probably be the normal train length, running at speed step 10 of 28.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I got all the Struct-O-Lite applied and am starting to color it. The major type of rock found in western Nebraska is what is known as Dakota Sandstone, which has a rusty brown color to it. I bought a gallon of cheap ($12.98) latex paint at Menards and had it colored darker than what I wanted the final look to be. I thinned it down 10:1 to consistency of a thin wash and applied it with a brush. It didn't turn out quite the color I was hoping for. :(
I think I'll give a wash of light brown, probably shoot it through my trusty Harbor Freight single action airbrush. Then if I think it needs I'll give a bit of black. Oh, well. Gotta start somewhere, right?
003.JPG

The thing about rocks is there are so many color variations it's hard to get them "wrong"!

Lynnb

Coming along nicely, I'm going to try your method of making scenic cement with the matte. I've used the glue rather than the matte with no issues but I'm going to be doing some rock face coloring with the WS colors and want to make sure I don't get a gloss finish.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
Thanks, Lynn! I really prefer the diluted matte medium over diluted white glue. Some people have great success with the white glue but I'm not one of them. Maybe I'm not holding my tongue just right as I apply it?
It was a stressful day at work today, so I just don't have the energy to get out the airbrush and try to improve the color of the rock cliffs. Maybe tomorrow. My plan is to finish the rocks, then work on the hills behind them. Once those are done I'll lay out the centerline for the inner loop and start laying roadbed and track.

otiscnj

I forget, is the elevated line going to be the CNW Cowboy line? Maybe some day, I'll bike it. Going to have anything like the Bridgeport roundhouse of old, anywhere. My Dad was from Scottsbluff, which I visited several times in the 1990's. How about sugar beets, and coal trains?

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I forget, is the elevated line going to be the CNW Cowboy line? Maybe some day, I'll bike it. Going to have anything like the Bridgeport roundhouse of old, anywhere. My Dad was from Scottsbluff, which I visited several times in the 1990's. How about sugar beets, and coal trains?
Actually, the elevated line is there mostly as an excuse to have a bridge! (But don't tell anyone!) I saw that bridge and really wanted to have one, so I needed a place for it to go...
I'm not planning on having a roundhouse.
I've never been to Scottsbluff. I might make a trip out that way someday, just because.
I do have some coal hoppers, so they will make an appearance. A sugar beet processor would take up more real estate than I would like to give up, although there is always selective compression!
Thanks for looking! Time to work on the layout has been a bit scarce lately, but I'm getting some things done.

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I wish life would stop being so crazy! It seems like forever since I've really had an opportunity to get anything done on the layout, plus I have a locomotive project I need to find the time to get back to! I'm going to try and get something done tomorrow, I promise!
I did get something done in train room today, though. The fluorescent light fixture in the southeast corner has been acting a bit funky lately, and yesterday it finally quit altogether. I had replaced the bulbs, so I figured it was the ballast. The fixture had two ballasts in it, actually. I've been replacing the lights in our house with LED bulbs as they go out, and installing LED bulbs whenever I add a fixture. So I replaced the bulbs with LED's, the ballast bypass type. It takes a bit of rewiring the fixture, but it's totally doable for anyone who has done any wiring. I actually replaced the bulbs in two fixtures while I was at it. The one in the upper left corner of this pic:
001.JPG

and the 4 tube fixture next to the doorway
003.JPG

After I got the bulbs replaced, I looked at the date code on the back of the ballasts. All 4 of them say "9 71"! Those ballasts are 49-1/2 years old! I guess I can't complain about them going out, then!

Lynnb

It’s looking good, onething I did that really improved the layout room is replace the fluorescent lites with led pot lites.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.