The Underbelly Thread

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
Model railroading has a lot in common with the theatrical world. A lot of our models look convincing enough from the front, but the back (or underneath) is another story altogether. This thread is for those brave enough to show the side of your model (structure, car, engine, whatever) that would not normally be shown to the world. This is the side with the cleats, glue blobs, melted plastic, the thumbprint - whatever.

You may say, 'But Jazz, why are you kicking this off with your own example?' I'll come back once the ball has started rolling.

Jazz: It would be nice to have the time to complete a model railroad front to back, but many of us have a limited amount of time to devote to our hobby and many would not care to have finished backsides of scenery, but structures maybe a different story and why not finish the model unless it's a background building.

Besides, I like to see the person who can get behind sections of my model railroad to see the unfinished backsides of the scenery.

Please...don't forget that most of Bonanza was filmed on indoor sets!

Last edited:
Model railroading has a lot in common with the theatrical world. A lot of our models look convincing enough from the front, but the back (or underneath) is another story altogether. This thread is for those brave enough to show the side of your model (structure, car, engine, whatever) that would not normally be shown to the world. This is the side with the cleats, glue blobs, melted plastic, the thumbprint - whatever.

You may say, 'But Jazz, why are you kicking this off with your own example?' I'll come back once the ball has started rolling.

You want people to lift up their skirts and reveal their inner most secrets. 😳

Normally I would send you to Craiglist personal ads for that sort of thing but "sadly" that outlet no longer exists .:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, that took an unexpected turn.

Here's a structure I am working on now.

underbelly.JPG

The masking tape represents a roller shade.

Well, that took an unexpected turn.
Yes it did!
For the most part, I complete all four sides of a structure, just over 300 on the current layout. I have several backdrop industries with nothing behind them except a piece of black construction paper. Had to think about this a bit and remembered one.
10-06-20 004.JPG

Buffalo Industries is made from PikeStuff wall components on three sides. Side four looks like this.
10-06-20 005.JPG

Then there is Mikey's Mattress Manufacturing, a three dimensional backdrop industry. It has partial side walls.
10-06-20 006.JPG

Turned around brings out the underbelly. Made from Walther's modular wall components.
10-06-20 007.JPG

That's it for now.

Back