The Steel Modeler's Thread

kz9

Ok so there is most likely a few of us on here that are modeling the steel process and I figure it might be handy to have a thread dedicated to just steel stuff.

What I mean is things like pictures, asking questions, write ups, new books, etc, and even post up pieces of your own project.

So with that being said, I have been working on building my structures and just finished the Blower house. After standing back and looking at it, there are lots of windows that show a bare inside. Anyone now what type of machinery goes in one of these? I figure a furnace/boiler or some sort and some sort of positive high pressure blower? I want to build something that can be seen thru the windows giving it a better look.

I'd say there are lots of cool things to model and light up in a steel mill. I worked at one in Detroit where my dad worked for a summer before college. There they had 2 blast furnaces to melt iron pellets from the ships, plus 3 oxygen process furnaces and 2 electric furnaces to melt the steel. Plus there was the charging machine and many overhead cranes to carry scrap metal and molten steel in large vessels. Plenty of trucks around. Plus the special railroad cars for molten steel ingots, slag, and gondolas with scrap steel. I wish I had room for a steel mill on my layout but they take up a lot of room. Have fun!

Something I have been working on recently.

DSC06456.jpg

DSC06457.jpg

DSC06460.jpg

DSC06449.jpg

DSC06451.jpg

DSC06453.jpg

DSC06452.jpg

DSC06455.jpg

DSC06454.jpg

DSC06462.jpg

DSC06466.jpg

Awesome work Mark! You should post up a parts list and how-to. I defeintly would like to do this.

Ken, I take it some of those sturctures are scratch built? Looks great!

very good idea on the molten metal car. love it. :thumbsup:

same here - had i had the room, i'd definitely model steel.

Thanks Kellan! Yeah, Walthers doesn't make a kit for a Basic Oxygen furnace mill or a Great Lakes-style ore bridge, so kitbashing and scratchbuilding were my only options. I also wanted a blast furnace that is the correct size for the modern (post-steam) era, so I had to scratchbuild everything except the cast house. WKW's furnace vessel is only 60% of HO scale, it's closer to N.

That is an AWESOME steel mill Ken!!!! Really great detail work, I really like the fire inside that blast furnace.

I will be building a steel mill as well, in my expansion room that I haven't started yet, but soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work Mark! You should post up a parts list and how-to. I defeintly would like to do this.

Once I complete the 5 cars I have I will definitely post a how to article and maybe even offer kits already made to install. Right now I am in the middle of making the end shafts out of aluminum as my kits had warped ones and walthers no longer has the parts for them. Next will be wheel pickups.

Ken, terrific modeling! I really like the lit up furnace. You've captured the look and feel of a steel mill in a relatively small area. Keep up the great work.

Great pics in this thread. I don't think I've ever seen the bottle cars lit up and moving. A few months back at a train show I found loads for slag pots although you'll need to trim them a bit.

i have in N scale two trix hot metal cars
trixhotmetalcar-1.png

along with 2 blast furnace's the rolling mill and electric oven

Is that a European type? Look like large capacity
It is a European prototype although I have seen Americanized versions turn up on eBay and Americanized versions do exist in the real world too. At one time Trix was doing a steel mill series too although it seems they disconitued it.

With the topic being steel I know that this is going to be a interesting thread. Very nice work on the hot metal car Mark:cool:

Back