The SCV&WR RR

WC3026

So been building my layout since last fall and thought I should finally put up some pics of it.

The name I thought of took a little time but after thinking about where I am "kinda" modeling. With the building of this layout the "St. Croix Valley & Willow River Rail Road" was born.

This layout is kinda modeled after the Dresser WI area where there is a rock qaurry that is used by the CN for ballast, and New Richmond, WI where I live next to the CN mainline. Now that being said this line is used by the CN(old WC) and the SOO(CP) so those will be the power seen on here. Most trains seen will be ballast trains but with it being in New Richmond there will also be mixed freights delivering to the local canning factory and other businesses.

On this layout it is DCC but no sound yet. Out of all my rolling stock maybe 25 cars are new, the rest are probably 15-20 years old. I have 6 locos, 4 locos are Athearn BB(2 CN, 1 soon to be WC, and 1 SOO), 1 Athearn RTR (Denver and Rio Grande), and 1 Atlas(Soo).

I didnt take any pictures while doing bench work or track laying so here is what I have so far!!!!

The ballast I am using is real "bassault" rock from the quarry I am modeling screened down from small "fines" to a size that looks somewhat real.

Also I live in a Mobile Home so I had to make it short and it was hard for some areas to model anything.

ENJOY!!!!!

Round House

North Yard

South yard

From Hallway to yard room

Soon to be industry area to lift out

East industry area

West Industry and soon to be east tunnel portal

Soon to be west tunnel portal, east end of siding and lead for quarry

North main line and lead for quarry

Building the mountain

Building the mountain 2

The canyon

Trap rock quarry

Trap rock quarry 2

Mountain

Mountain and Canyon (with a little Stewie action on TV)

Looks interesting under challenging conditions. You've got a good size yard, have to admit. Dr. Frankendiesel is also building a layout in a place like your's. How are you planning to scenic it?

On this layout it is DCC but no sound yet. Out of all my rolling stock maybe 25 cars are new, the rest are probably 15-20 years old. I have 6 locos, 4 locos are Athearn BB(2 CN, 1 soon to be WC, and 1 SOO), 1 Athearn RTR (Denver and Rio Grande), and 1 Atlas(Soo).

Very nice, very creative. You're doing a creative job with the space you have. Looks like you're having fun.

I too have a lot of old cars (50 years old). Sentimental and all. One thing that really helped me was updating the wheels from plastic to metal (... assuming you have any cars with plastic wheels...)

Anyway, nice job

Nice work! The ballast color is perfect.......your mountain and canyon came out good.....and the facia trim too.

Thanks railfan I have always liked the look of the old WC(CN) line next to my place so I found they make what they call the "fines" I just screened it out. Plus for like 6 5 gallon buckets it was only 10.00!!! I can get about 1 bucket (5 gallon) out of just over two of them so it was a BIG money saver but takes time to screen it out.

I just got done putting some ground cover on part of the top of the mountain or as my 3 year old nephew calls it "the big brown hill"!!!! This is also the very first time I have ever done anything scenery wise, I have done ballast before but not rocks and ground cover.

Back