The Savage Railroad

RJDaPirate

Good Morning Everyone,
My kids and I are building our dream layout in the basement of our 1912 home. We live next to the only known Bowman Truss Bridge in existence. The layout will be DCC with manual throws in addition to the DCC controlled turnouts. When done we should have a fully functing yard with rail lines to a small town, coal mine and a scratch built Bowman Truss spanning a three level deep valley. This fictional displayThe rail lines will include: B&O, C&O and Cheesie servicing both Pass and Frt services. This is my first time back into the hobby since I was a boy and I hope to create the same love in my children.

AAAAAAAArrrggghhh! me hearty, ye'll be glaad ye dropped yer anchor at this port o' call. Lot's o' golden information in this treasure trove. Thaa'll be no 'scuses to not have the bestest model Bowman Truss bridge since ye're tied up alongside.

I arrrgh me took running leap of plank into the GOOGLE sea and found this...

but alas there is a shopping mall at the bridge location and me thinks me wife will want to spend me railroad capital <grin>

The bridge was built for an unknown location on the main line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1852, and was moved to its present location, spanning the Little Patuxent River on the spur to the Savage Mill, in 1887. This spur line dates to around 1840 and originally crossed the river on a stone arch bridge; however, due to alterations to the mill in the 1880s and topographical restrictions, a replacement bridge was needed. The bridge remained in service until the mill closed in 1947; switching crews used additional cars in order to avoid crossing the bridge with locomotives, and thus there was never a need for a more substantial structure.

Back