The San Miguel Central RR.

Graff

Airbrush artist
"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

So, here I am. Finally...
My journey in model railroading is a continuous one, and after building a layout in HOn3 the last couple of years, I've now jumped headfirst into the dark side of model railroading; On30!

As some may know, I live in Sweden and work as an artist/cultural heritage consultant.
My former freelanced layout: the Minturn-Kings divide & Eastern was a Colorado based empire built in HOn3.

The turning point was a realization that even though my eyesight actually has improved
eek.png
, my fat fingers aren't getting any nimbler....
A good friend of mine decided to dismantle his On30 layout and sell me a bunch of the stuff.
How could I say no?
So, with a MMI K-27, a Goose and a bunch of other On30 stuff, I'm going to rebuild my layout into a On30 layout.
The new layout will be based on the south western part of the narrow gauge circle, and be named the San Miguel Central RR.

VZ2qe5Z.jpg

So, if anyone has any good pointers on how to be successful in this new (to me) scale, please chime in!

I CAD designed an interior for the saloon.
T1xtbnBl.jpg

I designed the interior in Fusion 360 and sliced it in Chitubox for preparing it to print on my trusty old Anycubic Photon S resin printer.
This is how the file look for the wall:
Jva9HuMl.png

And this is fresh from the printer:
ikps9PTl.jpg

I use a water soluble resin as it is much less toxic.
After trimming the supports and hardening it in the UV chamber, I glued it together with CA:
x7l9p85l.jpg

Theres a bit more sanding and a bit of filler needed at the joint, but I think it will look smashing!

I started on the plethora of windows and doors for the project.
These older Grandt line castings are good!
Not a flash to be seen anywhere.
I primed them with Badger Stynylrez primer before painting them an old wood color.
Then I used hairspray as a chipping layer before painting them offwhite.
The chipping was done rather lightly with a small brush.
A dark grey pin wash from MIG was then applied.
UqDjnyYl.jpeg

The glass I use is microscope slide covers. They are really good to use when you have an interior to show, as there's no distortion.
They are quite delicate though, so I divide them in separate panes to avoid big sheets that may break easier.
hPYZuCxl.jpeg

Back