The Runaway Train

jagc1969

Hello friends,

I would like to recreate the consist shown in the film titled "The Runaway Train". I do know what kind of locomotives were used in the film : two GP7, one F7 and one GP40 of ARR. But I am getting problems with the winterization hatches used in these machines (or others similar to these ones). Can anybody tell me where can I get a good top view of a winterization hatch used by ARR?

Thanks in advance.

Juan

Juan, they are a home built hatch that is very tall. They are very similar on the top surface to the commercial avaiable ones from Details West, just much taller, easily done with some extra Styrene plastic sheets cut to the same size. You have the consist correct, dont forget the trailing GP7's had AAR trucks on them from Alco diesels ARR traded in on them. Also easily done depending on what brand engine your using, both Athearn and Atlas offer 2 axle AAR trucks that match. Make sure to post some pics when you start modeling them! Mike

Juan, they are a home built hatch that is very tall. They are very similar on the top surface to the commercial avaiable ones from Details West, just much taller, easily done with some extra Styrene plastic sheets cut to the same size. You have the consist correct, dont forget the trailing GP7's had AAR trucks on them from Alco diesels ARR traded in on them. Also easily done depending on what brand engine your using, both Athearn and Atlas offer 2 axle AAR trucks that match. Make sure to post some pics when you start modeling them! Mike

Well I picked up an Alaska F7 from Bowser and it has that hatch. It should be easy enough to order one from them as an extra part.

Here is the picture of the unit. Only problem is its made for the contoured roof so you might have to sand it down a little to make it fit on a flat surface.

alaska3.png

691-23309.jpg

Good looking unit Mark, just needs the Prime digital sequencing beacon on the roof now. Bowser have really outdone themselves with that one. To bad they cant rework thier diecast steam line to be factory built in China with a big can motor in them and DCC ready. They always pulled well and pretty well covered the PRR's steam locomotive types. I have an old PRR L1 Mikado that pulls like a horse. Cant wait to see his modeling pics, that is in my top 5 train movies along with Emperor of the North and Polar Express, The Train ect.

Good looking unit Mark, just needs the Prime digital sequencing beacon on the roof now. Bowser have really outdone themselves with that one. To bad they cant rework thier diecast steam line to be factory built in China with a big can motor in them and DCC ready. They always pulled well and pretty well covered the PRR's steam locomotive types. I have an old PRR L1 Mikado that pulls like a horse. Cant wait to see his modeling pics, that is in my top 5 train movies along with Emperor of the North and Polar Express, The Train ect.

No beacon as the unit will run with a brass NW5 painted in Mass Central and when it was there it didnt have a beacon. They had the Alaska unit for a while and were using it as a switcher thats why it got renumbered from 1506 to 1508.

Hello,

Thank you very much to all of you, friends. I din't expect to have so many and so fast responses.
I'll let you see how the consist is going...

Thank you very much again.

Regards,

Juan

Back