The Rock Ridge and Train City II Rises (Pictures)

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
It's been a couple years since I tore down the Rock Ridge and Train City. Now it's making a comeback. I haven't been around lately, but I haven't been idle either. For the last 5 weeks of weekends, I've been building the benchwork for the Rock Ridge and Train City II.

Here's the over view:

BasementPlanOverview.jpg

I tried for about 20 months to come up with a plan I liked for the area marked Phase III but finally gave up and went for a new location. Finally, I took the center of the room with plans to use the layout for storage and move the stuff off the walls. I'll then take over the rest of the room as I clear the walls. You'll see what I mean in later photos.

This is what is being built now.

BasementPlanPhasei01.jpg

The right side is the old PRR Indiana Branch

PRR0006.jpg

Here is a closer view.

BasementPlanPhasei02.jpg

Finally, here is the benchwork. All the track will be on the top layer. The different levels will be all scenic. Naturally mountains will rise up above the top level.

RRRR0001.jpg

RRRR0002.jpg

RRRR0003.jpg

RRRR0004.jpg

Chip, that looks like you've been very busy!!!!! What thickness is the plywood your using for the frame work?

Chip, about time you got back to driving screws. :) Looks like it will be a super strong benchwork.

I get the sense that you have a raging fire that isn't going out any time soon. It looks like wonderful work, and I like the plan, Chip. I will look forward very much to see how you get on.

-Crandell

Chip , Great job.....your at my favorite part of layout construction! I switched from plywood framing to using 1x3 and 1x4 douglas fur lumber. I found that the fur was milled diffrent. all the edges of the wood was rounded some. Thats great if your like me....pron to bumping your head alot under the layout. Now when I bump my head there is no more blood lose or splinters in the scalp just a head ache!LOL's

Looking good Chip! My layout sits on 3/4" thick plywood. The framework is nowhere near as high quality as your though...

Looking good Chip! Might start calling you Spiderman tho. :D
My frame work is also 3/4 ply, very sturdy and takes screws well.

Back