The Rad Roster Challenge #1

HaggisKennedy said:
The 2-6-2 must have been a bargain, because I've heard that Prairies tend to ride rough at speed. Heard this from a couple of railroads.
Interesting since there is a Prairie on display in Lamar Colorado, that I have always wanted to restore. I wonder if it would be a poor choice? It caught my attention because for being such a small locomotive it is very heavy (even has 6 axle trucks on the tender). Looks really tough.

I can't remember what the other RR was, but in one of the books on SP&S motive power, it was said that the crews didn't like their Prairies at speed because they rode hard. But, a number of them went into local/branch service, which I presume to be low-speed affairs. I took that to mean that they were not considered good as main line power for through trains.

I know that the Prairie was used on other roads, and it was a long time before I read about some other RR saying the same thing about them as the SP&S. I have not heard that from any other road.

Kennedy

Very good.Here is my choice of locomotives for that railroad..

Number Type

50-53 0-6-0-yard engines

90-93 4-6-0-passenger

100-104 2-8-0-local and extra freight trains

120-123 2-8-2 Assign freight
=======================================================
200 miles would be 2 divisions due to time it takes to go 100 miles.Each division is assign 2 locomotives of each type to supply the needed locomotives.All locomotives would stay on its assigned division.

Back