The problem with Branchline Blueprint kits

NevinW

I just spent the last few days putting together a Branchline Blueprint kit of a pre-war 40' reefer. It is a wonderful kit and builds into a great model. I really enjoyed building it. The problem is the same problem with many of the newer kits with very fine detail. The detail is so fragile that it is difficult to keep from knocking off parts that you just glued on while putting on other parts. I almost disassembled it putting the finished frame onto the body. I took it to the layout for a trial run and a couple of the stirrups were knocked off in the process! I finally got it on the layout and in a train. I have to contact Branchline about one detail part that went flying from the sprue never to be seen again. I am going to have to tell everyone who operates that that one is "handsoff". I have a bunch of Westerfield models to build and they look pretty fragile too. Any thoughts about this problem? - Nevin

Details are very tough, but sometime it takes alot of time and major patence to do it... I've learned to relax, and I do 3 or 4 projects at a time so if one annoys me I move on to another.

For things like Grabs and Stirrups, I go with Brass ones. They don't break, and if they bend, all the more prototypical!

Kennedy

Just part of the price we pay for really fine detail. Take a deep breath, work slowly and carefully. You can look forward to the release of pent up frustration when you pummel the fat head who picks them up and breaks off the fine details.
The end results of your efforts will pay off when you get to admire your hard work on the layout, "I built that!!!"

Will

Back