The "other forum"

MLW

I just want to say how I am glad that I found this forum a while back. I don’t want to star a “fire” or offend anyone here, so moderator; please feel free to remove my post.

Here things are easy, casual, lay back, friendly, and pleasant. I can’t recall seeing a bad thread here. However I do check the “other forum” for the SPF, and today, again, it degenerated into childish crap. This is the reason I will never re-join and post again on that forum. The level of negativity, trolling, Joe-knows-it-all, etc.. etc.. is nauseating.:mad: Unfortunately I think that kind of behaviour (on the other forum) can cause some modellers to step away from sharing info and know-how, or simply display their talent on the web, and maybe turn them away from ever joining a forum like this one here. I hope this forum has enough visibility to provide an alternative to those [good] people.

Again thanks for everyone here on this forum: You make it a great place to be

End of rant

MLW;

I believe that's why most of us are here. The behavior "across the street" that you mentioned is not tolerated here.

I still read the "other" forum, but participate only when I know it won't degenerate into the mess most topics get into.

I don’t want to star a “fire” or offend anyone here, so moderator; please feel free to remove my post.
I don't see any problem with your post, it's you're opinion and honest appraisal of this forum as you see it.

For new members who read this I'll also add.

We have some beginners here who show their work, and it's welcome. We also have some excellent craftsman who present their work here and that is welcome. All posts are welcome provided they're not having an negative effect on the thread or other members. We also have members who are still trying to develop better modeling skills, myself to be included in this group. Constructive critique is welcome "WHEN GIVEN BY THOSE WHO SHOW THEIR OWN WORK" as proof they know what they are talking about, that way we know when it is given in one's honest offer to help.
What is not acceptable is personnel attacks on another members posts or level of craftsmanship.

To our members who report form infractions, Spam included, your efforts are appreciated in helping keep this forum a pleasant place to visit.
Thanks

We have moderators in most time zones, you will be caught & permanently banned, so if that is your intention, just move on and save everyone the trouble.

Well I guess that's my rant for the day :D

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I know what "other forum" you mean... and I'm glad I found this one too. So far my quest for a ideas and opinion on my change of track plans has been met with 10 times the help. :)

Please message me privately

I think I know what "other forum" you mean

I sure don't :(

I'm a member of a few other forums, and if there's some kind of problem with a specific forum, I'd sure like to know about it so I can avoid it and not waste my time.

Please feel free to message me privately if mentioning the exact name of the offending forum is a sensitive issue...

Thanks.

I used to be a member there too. I don't even check there on a regular basis. A bunch of "babies" with a few exceptions......

For fear of sounding all mushy, this forum really is a model for how well people can get along in an online group. When I first joined here I honestly thought it might just be because of the type of people (sedate model railroaders :) ) but after seeing the other forum in action I knew that wasn't it. I even offered to be a mod here since I had experience in the job but I haven't barely even done anything yet!

I am part of an auto racing forum and it is simply out of control. It is definitely a demographic issue contributing to it there but still, there simply is no respect. If they could take 10% of the class from this place I'd be happy.

My dad woulda loved this place. The knowledge base here is outstanding. I have SO much to learn from all you guys it is rediculous :) .

Mark

This is be far the best forum I belong to. Always the first I check. And I rarely check the others. I chose this forum to post my layout progress thread (see signature below) because I knew I would get good and bad "constructive" responses.

You guys and gals are the best.:)

This is be far the best forum I belong to. Always the first I check. And I rarely check the others. I chose this forum to post my layout progress thread (see signature below) because I knew I would get good and bad "constructive" responses.

You guys and gals are the best.:)

...And it is because of your design that I got going in the direction I did with mine. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics the way you did, it was a huge help. *thumbsup* (There I go getting all mushy again...)

Mark

Although I haven't been on any other modeling web forums, I have been on many others for computers and paintball, and its true, you stick to the forums where there is a knowledge base, but also where their is friendly people and staff. As a newcomer (and a young one at that), its really refreshing for people who will help you with anything you got.

I am on a now gaming forum, that started out as a companies official forum, when they pulled support, we went to another name, but the members left. Now we have a tight nit group of people, that will help each other with any problems. I feel this forum has the same vibe.

I belong to a few other forums that deal with various interests of mine and this is the one place where I always end up on a daily basis. I like the people and the knowledge that is here. :)

Are we talking about the A-Forum?I agree,I don't post nearly as much there as I use to due to all the negative posts and childish behavior.

I joined a few years ago, and like this place. More laid back, and less... ummm... "prissy" then another forum. :rolleyes: When the spammers shut the other one down a few years ago, this became my #1 choice! :D

I do frequent a few model RR forums, and prefer here. ;)

Rotor

There's no problem in belonging to other forums, most of us do. In a way I suppose it keeps us from going stale as more ideas get generated that way. At present I'm only active in 2 forums due to limited time. (busy, busy) Any Forum is only as good as it's members make it, without members it would only be a website on the net. If a forum becomes rowdy, argumentative with hostile attitudes, it's because of the membership and the administration for permitting it on a regular basis. This is a good forum because of it's members, their respect for one and other and their willingness to moderate by reporting posting that is contrary to the the "More laid back" :D attitude here.
Now being human, it's true, we all can make mistakes, (get grumpy, whatever) and if we learn lessons from them we can still remain members in good standing on this forum. Mod's are human too :eek: The Admin, well he doesn't make mistakes, it's one of his websites :D
So in conclusion, it's the members forum, admin provides the venue in which it operates. So ladies and gents look after and enjoy your forum.

Cheers Willis

Not much to add. The others have already stated why I ended up here compared to the free for all "across the street". River, if no has PM'ed you yet, think the largest US "MR" magazine. Things are actually somewhat better there now compared to a year ago, when it was really a swamp. I still check out the threads over there occasionally to see what folks are doing but I choose not to participate. This forum is much more congenial and no one gets in cat fights over who has the most knowledge or does the best work. We also have the best set of mods you could find and spam gets whacked fast. I like it here and thank Model Bob for hosting us.

I would like to proudly add that this is the only forum I am a member of and its exactly the reason why everyone else is. Becuase of all the generosity, helpfulness, and kindness on this board. I do take a peak at other boards (Ex. Across the Street) But only if I'm curious to see what topics have been brought up. If I wan't an answer to a question I come here first.

Holly macarony!

Wow! I did not think this post would get that much responce. Thanks to everyone who share in this forum. My visit is sporadic to say the least but I truly enjoy this place.

Thanks again for your inputs and participation

River, if no has PM'ed you yet, think the largest US "MR" magazine.

Thank you, UP2CSX. I am registered on that forum but never visit there for the reasons mentioned here, among others. I actually am probably registered at a dozen model RR forums, but currently only visit two on any regular basis -- this one is one of them!

Back