The Mission

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
The Situation briefing:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/08/train_derails_in_vinemont.html

Despite the headlines, inside reports indicate a more significant event... Yesterday afternoon a southbound train cleared the crossover switch at Middle Holmes Gap. After 16 cars had cleared the switch, the train went into emergency. After the crew got the train stopped, a survey of the damage showed 20+ cars on the ground. Many were on their sides or upside down. The S&NA North mainline and siding were blocked. Track damage resulted. Fortunately, no hazmat is involved.

The Mission

The mainline is expected to reopen this afternoon (possible around 2PM). Trains are backed up everywhere! The mission, if we decide to accept it, Shoot photographs of as many CSX trains as possible in the predicted flurry of activity after the main reopens.

Operatives Involved

LGM, and Grande man.

Essential Equipment Required

LGM: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 lens, Canon EF 70-300IS lens

GM: Canon EOS 40D, 400D, Ef 70-200L lens, 17-40L lens, Sigma 10-20 lens

Misc Equipment Required

VX150 2 meter radio with all AAR frequencies programmed in, Nashville Division Timetable, fast truck :D

This is my first "preactivity" forum thread. Will it be action or bust? Time will tell. Ya'll stay tuned for more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang!:eek:
It would be mission impossible for me.
I can't get off work this afternoon and I can't find my wife, who has the camera.
Y'all have fun!

This should be a full day for your flash memory card(s). Don't forget we poor souls that are stuck at home or work. :(

Well, if it was really 20+ cars on the ground overturned, I'd sure try for some pics. Sounds like they've got a pretty good perimeter around the scene. We'll see if Eric manages to catch any of the action.

After ops report

When we arrived on scene, this train was spotted at South Holmes Gap (Cullman). This is the train involved with the derailment.
2809550567_0ee46078aa_o.jpg

From there, we proceeded north to Middle Holmes Gap. For those not familiar with this section of the CSX, there is a 10 mile section of double track from the helper base at Lacon to South Holmes Gap. The mountain's 2% grade requires a manned helper for some southbound trains. The derailment occurred yesterday at about 16:30 at Middle Holmes Gap. The crazy thing is, there were cars on each side of the right of way! I don't think anyone knows yet just how this happened.

The carnage..
2810398054_839d0b4a94_o.jpg

2810398654_fc8cb765bd_o.jpg

2809552287_2695058efb_o.jpg

Track crews worked feverishly to reopen track 2 and allow trains to begin moving. The derailment took out both tracks. Repairs to the main were extensive (and ongoing when we left after dark). While intel had predicted a reopened #2 track at 1400 hours, the first train wasn't allowed thru until 1650.

Train Q129 was the first movement in over 24 hours. The crew cautiously eased thru from milepost 335.9 to 336.1 under a 10 MPH slow order. After he passed, we backtracked south to Cullman to shoot him passing the Arnold Rd crossing at track speed.
2809552885_532cb0891a_o.jpg

2810400326_5622286b0a_o.jpg

We didn't have long to wait in Cullman until the next southbound, Q685, blazed past. Look closely, the conductor appears to be checking us out with binoculars!
2810401498_590f57fa99_o.jpg

After 685 passed, we headed north toward Lacon. We knew there was another southbound headed our way, but we missed him in transit. We did catch the Lacon helper heading back down the mountain and grabbed a quick shot.
2810402142_af047dfdd0_o.jpg

The first three trains to run came on fast and furious. I think they must have been on each others yellow block the whole way toward Birmingham. Though we were bummed to have missed one, we were excited to see the helper unit. At that point we headed back to Middle Holmes Gap because of the radio activity we were picking up. A ballast train had arrived and was about to enter the reconnected track 1 to further repairs.

Ballast train approaches from the south. By now it's getting dark and were boosting ISOs into the stratosphere and opening our lenses wide open to get action stopping shutter speeds.
2810402916_e9356427b2_o.jpg

Q502, the first northbound train thru, eases along track 2 at 1920 hours.
2810404180_5eaeeee1f1_o.jpg

2809557587_09a60e7713_o.jpg

It's almost dark now as the ballast train drops rock on track 1. Note the temporary slow order board in the foreground. That patched up track 2 needed a slow order, as you can see.
2809557987_3401342136_o.jpg

All in all, we had another great day railfanning the CSX. As always, their local people are first rate. Had track repairs been completed earlier, we'd have shot many more trains. As predicted, things were hopping along pretty good once track 2 reopened. :cool:

We consider the mission to have been successful. :cool:

A very successful mission indeed! I'm surprised you were able to get as close to the action as you got. Did you hear any radio traffic about you from the guy with binoculars? Could have been a terrorist, you know. :) I'm sure the railroad is happy the wrecks missed hitting the signal bridge. That would have been a real expensive repair job.

A very successful mission indeed! I'm surprised you were able to get as close to the action as you got. Did you hear any radio traffic about you from the guy with binoculars? Could have been a terrorist, you know. :) I'm sure the railroad is happy the wrecks missed hitting the signal bridge. That would have been a real expensive repair job.

No, but LGM had left the radio in the truck. ;) I was on public property, and doubt there was anything said. Most of the crews are good folks.

Here are two extra shots...

Nice paint. Slug at Cullman.
2809736551_46dc36f19c_o.jpg

Still beautiful, boarded windows and all
2810581866_c799d4cee9_o.jpg

Eric. Awesome photos as usual. But man,talk about a mess!:eek: . I mean WOW. It seems that you and I know when to be in the right places at the right times to get great photos. Wow,what a sight. Geez man.William.

Eric. Awesome photos as usual. But man,talk about a mess!:eek: . I mean WOW. It seems that you and I know when to be in the right places at the right times to get great photos. Wow,what a sight. Geez man.William.

I was in the middle of this when you called yesterday. ;) Sorry I missed your call. It's surprising that my AT&T wonder :rolleyes: even rang considering some of the places we were.

Does anyone remember this shot from some months back? Guess where it was taken? :)
2439678038_bbf4929f75_o.jpg

I'm not sure why I shot this, but we found this guy down by Lacon. I call it "Living on the Edge".
2810545291_0ea9f4569a_o.jpg

Hmm...that location does look familiar now that you mention it. :) I hope that moth got out of the way before the next train.

What is that caboose at Cullman used for? I assume it must be for protecting backing moves but I wonder why they felt the need to plate over so many windows? That slug has a fine looking paint job. I wonder why they bothered with the white roof on a slug?

Hmm...that location does look familiar now that you mention it. :) I hope that moth got out of the way before the next train.

What is that caboose at Cullman used for? I assume it must be for protecting backing moves but I wonder why they felt the need to plate over so many windows? That slug has a fine looking paint job. I wonder why they bothered with the white roof on a slug?

Jim, I'm not sure what the caboose is used for. It has been at Cullman for several months. I'm assuming reverse moves on the local are it's duties. It's always a thrill to see a caboose anymore (we ain't talking about a trip to the shopping mall here Rex :D ). Hopefully, we'll get the chance to shoot some pics of it on a train sometime soon.

As for the butterfly, he took the chance to fly away before we left. Smart fellow. ;)

The shopping malls are about the only place you can see a well built caboose anymore. :D
You sure had an exciting day. Thanks for sharing that with us. ;)

The shopping malls are about the only place you can see a well built caboose anymore. :D

There and some bars depending on the time of night. :eek:

Awesome work guys. It's pretty cool you guys have the knowledge to suss this stuff out. Outstanding pics too!

Mark

... I wonder why they bothered with the white roof on a slug?

Jim, the slug has all the capabilities of a regular locomotive (minus the prime mover, of course). Crews can use it as the lead unit [i.e. control the train from it] on turnaround runs.

Ken, I guess I should have figured that out when I saw the windshield wipers. :) Any idea why they have the small American flag on the cab? I don't think that's standard.

Lots of men and equipment to clean up a mess like that, LGM. Nice shots of the CSX springing into action. Good to see you got a wave from the engineer on the 450.

Hey Jim, here's another shot of the caboose. I was out fooling around with a new lens and shot this today. Sorry for the harsh light, I didn't feel like hanging out for 5 more hours until it improved. ;) The crew told me it is used for reverse moves.

2852343202_7c629b80a5_o.jpg

Back