The Madison Central is Taking Shape....

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
Well after a long period of unpacking, searching, arranging and other things that go along with buying and moving into a new house, the MadCoW has begun.

I suppose a refresher is in order, as I have been absent for a while. The Madison Central, called the MadCoW by those who admire her, is a spin-off of the CNW in the early 1970's. It operates lines radiating out of Madison Wisconsin. The majority of traffic is grain, ballast, paper and lumber. Typical mid-west granger stuff. The models are HO scale. It is a DCC system. This layout will be double-decked in a walkaround style.

I like to think of myself as the frugal modeler. My wife calls me cheap, but at least she gets my name right. So it is with frugality in mind that I present you with the progress of the current MadCoW.

Trackplans? Why, they're for folks who know what they're doing. I haven't a clue. I go until I run into concrete, then turn one way or another. It may not be the norm, but hey, it works for me. Some of you have already seen the dioramas constructed with the layout in mind. They were designed for what I thought would be a much larger space. I've made them work in the space I ended up with.

Here are the high bridge and quarry dioramas married for the first time. Beyond the quarry, to the right, is a shortline with interchange for sand(ore jennies) and grain. This is dead-end to a wall and will have a tunnel(cosmetic) at it's end representing 'beyond'.
Layout_progress_1.png

A betterview of the shortline area. Notice the recycled foam from previous layout.
Layout_progress_13.png

To the other side of the shortline, are the mainline and siding extending east from the quarry. This will have a view block about 6 feet from edge of layout as these tracks lead to the staging tracks, helix and second level. In this shot you see the lines for the curves which I will ignore later when laying track.
Layout_progress_5.png

This view looks down the main, across the high bridge and towards the quarry.
Layout_progress_7.png

Looking railroad west, we see the difference in benchwork elevation to fit the high bridge diorama in. This area will have additional foam applied and carved to blend the benchwork edges.
Layout_progress_4.png

Another view. Wanna talk frugal? The plastic ice-cream bucket is full of ballast that came off the old layout. Sifted, ground apart in a blender, and dried in the oven(don't ask) just like I opened it new.
Layout_progress_6.png

Coming off the high bridge, the track makes a 26" radius curve towards the towne of Dachshundville. This area will also have a view block going from rugged rockwork to gentle hills of farmland.
Layout_progress_8.png

Nobody likes a pesky furnace. And this one is no exception. Ask me in January and I bet I'll say differently. Because of the lack of room here, this area will get number 4 switches and be restricted to being switched by four-axle units.
Layout_progress_9.png

Layout_progress_10.png

Layout_progress_11.png

And that's as far as benchwork is for now. If I build any further and start to run trains, I will NEVER get the scenery done. My way of keeping me in check. So now it's time to 'create'.
Layout_progress_12.png

After these were taken, more progress has been made, All the track is in and I'm currently testing and re-testing it for any flaws. Then on to the buss/feeders and so on. I will post more when I've taken them. To all who have inquired I thank you.

Enjoy the MadCoW, but from a distance...................

Last edited by a moderator:
The benchwork and foam bear an interesting resemblance to my railroad, also under construction, but your scenery, where present, looks better than mine (also where present).

Great work Bill and an entertaining story too (again) looking forward to more pics, stories.

Ken.

More Refresher..........

Thanks everone for the nice comments. Lots to do yet. Newer photos to follow.

For those who are new to the M.C.o.W. Ry, here are a few staged shots from the dioramas.

M.C.o.W. SD40T-2 at Dachshundville.

Mad_8960_dachsy_1.png

A GP-30 rolls across the Lil' Tidle river, while a couple of local boys 'touch-up' the bridge.

cnw822_littletiddle_1.png

Here a Geep and an F unit traverse the high bridge with empties for the quarry.

CNW_GP35_F.png

Chicago commuter engines on weekend freight duty pass the Ablemann quarry.

416_wb_able_4.png

The eastbound Guernsey '400' glides through the reverse curves at the quarry.

cnw5024A_able.png

A typical day at the quarry.

R_cnw_822_1755_1.png

A couple of brutes pull loads onto the high bridge.

CNW_SD50_Tunnel.png

Thanks for looking everyone. As mentioned, when I get more shots of progress, I'll post 'em in this thread.

Johnny

wunderful pictures

Beautiful pictures Engineerbill?/Johnny?!!
About the third one: trains on a bridge. I've never seen before that kind of a picture:eek: Great, wunderfull! Can almost feel the atmosphere of the "indian summer"
Did you took that picture outdoors/outside, in open air?( with of course sunshine:D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pictures Engineerbill?/Johnny?!!
About the third one: trains on a bridge. I've never seen before that kind of a picture:eek: Great, wunderfull! Can almost feel the atmosphere of the "indian summer"
Did you took that picture outdoors/outside, in open air?( with of course sunshine:D )

Thanks grove den, I did indeed take the picture outdoors. The diorama measures 4 feet long X 2 feet deep. I set it up at the edge of a lake near my house. Everything in the picture is modeled, EXCEPT for the sky and lake.

Here is another, with a better view of the lake.

CNW_Bridgeshot_1.png

And here is the only progress shot I took while building it.

ableman_bridge_1.png

The rockwork is carved styrofoam, the trees are made from local weeds. And the trestle was bought cheap(under $5.00) and rebuilt. The footings are made from lego blocks, and the track on the deck is code 83 flex with the spacers removed to create the bridge decking. Hope this helps. Thanks for the nice words.

Johnny

Hi Johnny! Man, I am glad you are back into it and going at it strong. I certainly will look forward to your progress reports.
Isn't it terrible that home contractors always place the plumbing, furnace, and poles just any ole place, never taking into account that an MR may live in that house some day. Just plain danged inconsiderate, I'd say! :D :D
The Best to ya!

Hi Johnny! Man, I am glad you are back into it and going at it strong. I certainly will look forward to your progress reports.
Isn't it terrible that home contractors always place the plumbing, furnace, and poles just any ole place, never taking into account that an MR may live in that house some day. Just plain danged inconsiderate, I'd say! :D :D
The Best to ya!

Ain't it the truth? My wife fell in love with the house we bought(it IS quite nice), but the basement sucked!! It's just that it's to small for any length of run(fixing by double-decking), has a low cieling in the helix/staging area(fixing by preventing viewing from that area), but on the other side, It IS a basement and it IS dry. I'll make do. Good hearing from you.

Johnny

Back