The LF&NW Layout Thread

That's right, and the photo shows some wood ties that the rails coming off the trestle will also be spiked to as a transition to the short piece of flex.

One area that's been bugging me is a bare spot between St John's Episcopal Church and the Zenith Public Library. I always meant it to be a parking lot but never did anything to fix it up:

Zenith_Library_Parking_Lot_1.jpg

I shimmed it level with the sidewalk with my new miracle scenery product, corrugated cardboard:

Zenith_Library_Parking_Lot_2.jpg

I use a lot of Busch worn asphalt sheet https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-7416 and cut some to size here:

Zenith_Library_Parking_Lot_3.jpg

Fastened the worn asphalt sheet down

Zenith_Library_Parking_Lot_4.jpg

And cleaned up the rough edges with some German hedge material, as well as parking some cars in the lot:

Zenith_Library_Parking_Lot_5.jpg

Looks very good with the cars in the lot. Have you given any thought to perhaps a rod iron fence in front of the church with a walk through gate?

Hmm. I keep meaning to put a little bit of grass on the lawn on either side of the sidewalk. Will have to give some thought to the wrought iron, too. (I gave up on a sign saying "St John's Episcopal Church The Rev Windy Balderdash, Rector". Too small to read.

I do intend to start work upgrading another church, though.

I mentioned just above that I have another church to work on. Here it is, in the half-done scenery around it:

St_Lawrence_of_Brindisi_1.jpg

As opposed to St John's Episcopal, in a higher-toned part of town, this is St Lawrence of Brindisi Catholic Church, in a less high-toned part of town. It's surrounded by a Northeastern Earl Smallshaw tenement kit, as well as an Alkem C&O standard cabin in the foreground. Above it is a snowy area, which will be snowy above a certain elevation.

My first task will be to level up St Lawrence, as well as to reattach some parts that have fallen off. This is a Kibri Romanesque church kit, heavily kitbashed. I will need to begin fleshing out the hillside scenery around it, too.

Your parking lot with the flowers along the buildings turned out really nice. Is that new church going to fit in the spot you have it?

I've finished the preliminary assembly of the white foam lift-out scenery area at East Portal:

East_Portal_area_12-2014_3.jpg

I used a red marker to mark out the boundaries where I will need to sand the foam to fit the terrain. You can also see what I mostly use to shape it, called Dragon Skin. http://www.foamez.com/dragon-skin-p-176.html I mentioned on another thread that it was plastic cheese grater basically, but it turns out it's steel. It can be shaped and used like sandpaper. I also mentioned on another thread a new show on cable called Museum Men, where a company builds museum exhibits mainly from huge blocks of white foam. This interests me a lot, because many mag articles and forum threads put down white foam in favor of pink or blue foam. A big objection is that it's highly flammable, which I guess is true if you light a match to it, but as other people have pointed out, a lot of stuff on a model layout is flammable -- wood structures, paper and cardboard scenery, paint, and so forth. White foam is just one more possibility among many. It's reassuring that a museum would use a huge amount of it, in light of what must be insurance requirements. Anyhow, it's free where I got it! Starting at about 0:48 here, you can see them shaping some of the big foam block. http://www.history.com/shows/museum...ubmarine?m=5189719baf036&s=All&f=1&free=false

I've ordered an ISLE Laboratories cast rock sheet https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/473-803 that I'll be cutting up and using in the next phase here. The ISLE stuff is very light, which fits my requirements for a lift-out section -- don't want to use plaster rock here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Packing additional foam around East Portal and starting to add some cardboard web for plaster cloth:

East_Portal_area_12-2014_6.jpg

This should help deflect some attention from the sewer pipe and cleanout.

I received the Mountains in Minutes foam rocks and installed them on the white foam liftout:

East_Portal_area_12-2014_7.jpg

Now to work them into a mountainside. I'm going to look over some of the newer Woodland Scenics products to do this.

In defense of the white foam, you can't really knock it if it's free. It is also easier to tear into; I always have the vacuum cleaner going when I am messing with it.

Thanks for posting your progress. lasm

I've read up on the foam rocks but never really saw them used, they look really realistic.

After a break over the holidays, I covered the cardboard web and foam around the portal with plaster cloth.

East_Portal_area_1-2015_1.jpg

On the other side of the room, I'm working on a Fos Scale Del Giorno Fish kit. Here's the Fos photo:

DELGIORNO.jpg

I decided I had a good place for it. The original name for this spot on the layout was going to be Fish House, after a PRR branch near Camden, NJ (actually one lead to the Delair Bridge). I finally gave it a different name, but with the Fos kit, I decided to go back to Fish House. Here is the empty spot:

Fish_House_1.jpg

Before I ordered the kit, I cut a piece of cardboard to the dimensions shown on the Fos web site to be sure it would fit:

Fish_House_2.jpg

Great! Ordered the kit! Started the basic pier, shimmed up on a piece of foam:

Fish_House_3.jpg

Basic assembly and painting of components:

Fish_House_4.jpg

Starting to add corrugated siding:

Fish_House_5.jpg

Corrugated siding done:

Fish_House_6.jpg

Windows and roofing added:

Fish_House_7.jpg

I'm over the hump, not much left to do. I want to add lighting, this is a dark area of the layout.

Is there an end that fits over that opening? If not, I'd make one or paint the inside black. Otherwise that lighter colored wood will stick out.

John thank you for posting! The scene you are building up with the truss bridge looks mighty impressive!

Yannis, many thanks. Need to brush up on my Greek, but it's the Socrates kind! Here are some other views of this area, taken before I started the fish house:

Car_Exchange_KP_W_9.jpg

Car_Exchange_KP_W_10.jpg

Car_Exchange_KP_W_11.jpg

The white buildings are another Fos kit, the Department of Docks. This is all a detail and scenery intensive area, and I'm working on it very slowly.

Back