The history of our railroads

azdiane

I posted this earlier in a thread about naming out railroads, but I think our richly imagined histories deserve their own thread. This entry is about my Northland. Please join me and post the history of your railroad here. ;)

The Northland

In the early years of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century, the Arizona Northland and Pacific Railroad, Inc. exists physically only as a free-lance model railroad, somewhere in-between the still-planning and the early-construction phase.

But beyond physically, this railroad has a rich identity, a history, and a corporate ethos that live only in imagination. This is an invitation for you to share that imagination.

Today's Northland railroad is set in yesterday; in the only vaguely defined "middle of the twentieth century." Actually, by just changing the types of trains and the styles of motor vehicles in the scene, the scene can be set to nearly any decade of choosing. But the baseline is the middle of the nineteen fifties: rock 'n roll is new, girls actually wear poodle skirts, milk is still delivered in cold glass bottles, and the Northland railroad is in its prime.

In order to understand the railroad in the fifties, lets take a quick look at its long and rich history. Nearly a century earlier, just a couple of years before the American Civil War, savvy investors in the Arizona territory saw the opportunity that the likely-to-come war would bring, and the Northland railroad came into being. The first rail was laid by Irish immigrant laborers on October 12, 1857. From the beginning the railroad has been prominently known not by its formal name or by its initials AN&P, but as just the "Northland."

The Northland’s directors had high-ranking associates in the United States Army, some of whom were themselves investors, and thus as war clouds gathered the Northland enjoyed early Union Army military contracts in the remote and sparsely populated District of the West. They invested those profits back into the railroad’s growth, and grew flush in those years of civil war and tragedy for America.

During the post-Civil War reconstruction era, Northland management gained for the company well laid out rights-of-way across the vast rugged country of the American west, including through some spectacular mountainous terrain. They also secured very valuable traffic exchange rights with the Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Denver Rio Grande and Western, and Union Pacific railroads, and gained a controlling interest in a far-away Pennsylvania coal mine.

In the last decades of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century, continuing to be fed by contracts with an Army now battling the Indians, this small financially stable Northland thrived. Rather than growing lengthwise, Northland steadily grew more and more branches of track within its own territory, serving more and more existing little communities and providing a network of steel highways to foster new towns where none had been.

The coming of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century brought continued growth. During the Great War of 1914-1918, the company not only did very well for itself by rediscovering its lucrative roots with Army contracts, it then roared through the twenties well capitalized, conservatively constrained in growth, and virtually debt free. Because of that, the railroad survived the desperation of the thirties better than many.

In those awful depression times Northland management often ran a couple of empty boxcars on a train for those who couldn't travel otherwise. Now, at mid-century, the upstanding citizens of more than one of the small towns along the right-of-way can remember having been freezing kids standing in the snow back in those days, and the Northland train crews throwing them down big shiny black lumps of fine anthracite coal from the locomotive tenders that they could take home to grateful parents. As all times do, these times too, terrible as they were, did pass.

Now the Second World War has come and gone. Germany, Italy, and Japan are our friends again. The savage war in Korea, virtually unnoticed by so many Americans, has wound down. The mid-fifties have become a period of great prosperity in our nation. It is also the era when more than a century of American steam locomotive technology is beginning to pass away from our tracks. American railroads are modernizing, acquiring fleets of the much more economical to operate diesel-electric locomotives. For most of the decade of the fifties, both types of locomotives will be commonly seen on the nation’s tracks, alongside their respective support equipment and structures. For this reason, in retrospect these days will become known to historians as the “transition era.”

Dwight Eisenhower is in the White House. America is in the mega-boom times of the middle of the post-war decade, and Northland is hardly missing the dwindling military contracts because of the thriving civilian freight and passenger demand, particularly suburb-to-city commuter operations. Northland in this time-frame remains a profitable Class II railroad, providing valuable and appreciated service to the people of the small towns and cities along its main and branch-line routes, as it has now for nearly a century.

The US Interstate Highway System is only just being planned. The time will come when motor freight's impact on the shipping habits of the little industries along the Northland's route will cut into the railroad’s profitability. But those days are still nearly a decade away. Today pickles, paint, and plumbing supplies routinely arrive, not only into town but often directly to the local industry itself, in boxcars. Refrigerated cars bring in fresh food daily to the remotest little whistle-stop villages. Fresh milk from farms goes out to the city every morning. Fine Pennsylvania anthracite coal is profitably imported across the continent to heat homes and businesses along the Northland’s route. The products of nearly countless small industries are shipped out to the world in Northland rail cars. Railway Express is the FedEx of its day.

For most of the rural American west, the rails remain the primary link to the world. Most Americans in the mid nineteen fifties are still in the habit of travel by passenger train, as had been their fathers and grandfathers. For all that airlines are indeed beginning to thrive, train travel is still much cheaper and more familiar. In bedroom communities along the Northland's many branch lines, a stay-at-home-Mom can keep the family car all day if she drops Dad off at the train station. He can commute to his office in the city faster by train than he could possibly drive there in this nineteen-fifties world that has few freeways.

Like so many other railroads in the country, even in these mid-century bright economic times the Northland railroad is dealing with capital challenges. Nice new diesel locomotives, while far more economical to operate and maintain than the older steamers, are expensive to purchase. Diesel fuel is cheap, and new diesel locomotives certainly will more than pay for themselves across years of time, but Northland management is conservatively unwilling to deplete its capital reserves. Northland has purchased only a few diesels, which it has been able to finance at good rates through local banks, and they operate mostly on the main lines.

Older but well maintained steam locomotives continue to soldier on up and down Northland's branch lines, not yet beyond keeping in good repair by the railroad's in-house maintenance facilities. They are fueled with fine Pennsylvania anthracite hard coal, imported from the railroad’s own mine under the interline deals cut with eastern railroads two generations ago. Northland has a long-term funding plan for steam’s eventual replacement, but that time is yet to come.

Some of Northland's smaller steam locomotives are in fact over fifty years old now, in the 1950's, yet are still in daily service. The passenger cars on Northland’s commuter trains are mostly the older heavyweight style, but are kept reasonably clean and well maintained. Safety, as a matter of current management philosophy and long-standing corporate ethos, is never compromised for profit by the Northland. But 1950's railroad practices, especially as regard public access to dangerous operations, including the tracks themselves, simply are far less stringent than might be considered the norm in the early 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century.

Structures seen along the Northland's right of way often date back into the mid-to-late 1800's. As towns have grown up outward from the railroad, many of the older structures close to the tracks have fallen into decline. It's a reality that despite the value it brings, coal-fired steam-powered railroading is a dirty and sooty business for the whole neighborhood. Still, most of the old structures are alive and well in the mid-fifties, teeming with the lives of people who depend on the Northland to provide both the essentials and the frills of their daily lives.

The Northland railroad is a way of traveling in time back to an era we like to think of as having been a simpler time. Whether it really was or not makes a great debate, but there is no debate that to the people of middle America in mid-century, the railroad is still a welcome how-could-we-live-without-it part of everyday life. Welcome to Northland's world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I was clear that this isn't my own little private thread about just my railroad, but is an invitation for y'all to join in and post a history of your railroad. My Northland is a freelance fantasy railroad, but even if you model prototype railroads there will be a back-story behind what's going on on your tracks. Please join me and post the story of your railroad in this thread. I'm hoping you'll post not just the physical history of the layout, but the imagined history of how your particular railroad and its operations came to be.

I'm still dealing with the future of my railroad. I have the insulation done, now I'm building 4 walls, then it's on to drywall, then finally the railroad construction. It's going to be a while before I have any history. :)

East Central Indiana
HO Scale Railroad
The ECI has been built and rebuilt several times (see Timeline). There have also been times when there has been no movement at all. Now the railroad has begun to move back in time to be able to run NYC, PRR and PC locomotives and cars.

The ECI is a 1970s short line operating out of Anderson in North Central Indiana southward over the ex-New York Central (CCC&StL) Michigan Division /PC North Vernon Secondary purchased from Penn Central. The ECI runs through Emporia, Rushville, Greensburg and terminates in the Southern Indiana town of Westport.

Connections are made with the CIW (Central Indiana & Western) at Anderson, and the N&W at Rushville, with a secondary connection with PC Greensburg. The ECI has rights between Anderson and Westport under control of the ECI Dispatcher working out of the South Anderson Yards.
The majority of customers are small industrial companies (pipes, plastics, autoparts, etc.) as well as several heavy grain operations and one small stone quarry sending occasional shipments off line to dealers nationwide from their quarry near Westport.

Although the line is not truly prosperous, it does make money and has an outstanding Service Facilities with a maintenance crew devoted to rebuild and maintenance with tender loving care. This is attested to by the Ex-NYC E7 that has been placed into service pulling an Excursion Train consisting of four refurbished passenger cars from Anderson to Westport monthly during summer months and the NYC GP7, and RS3 that have been put into service on the railroad. Also, thee is the 0-8-0 that does some freight work on the ECI. The ECI GP 38-2 is now handling the grain operation at Westport.

With its small but dedicated staff of employees, the ECI tends to reflect the sense of optimism found in its headquarters city of Anderson as to a solid future in providing high quality service to its clients as well as presenting rail service in a favorable light to more people.

Like the history. Before I started my layout over 25 years ago a lot of planning went into it. I model the area right where I live, in southwestern Montana, set in 1957. Another local modeler also was in on the planning. His layout and railroad would connect to mine. We even used USGS maps to route both railroads.

The Logan Valley came about when the Northern Pacific wanted to find a route south from Logan, MT to West Yellowstone, MT to connect to the Union Pacific. In out twisted history, ICC regulations prohibited the NP from building this route, so they helped fund the Gallatin Canyon & Western Railway which would build rail from Gallatin Gateway, MT to West Yellowstone, MT. One problem, they couldn't connect to the Northern Pacific. There comes the Logan Valley. The Logan Valley connects to the NP at Logan, MT, and is a short line/branch line that runs south to Gallatin Gateway and connects to the GC&W and also the Milwaukee Road which is also in Gallatin Gateway. (I am a fan of both railroads). Besides being a bridge line, the LV also serves a few towns along the route.

Unfortunately my friend passed away after about nine months into the build of his layout, but the whole plan sounded so good that I continued with the theme. Although my layout only covers the route of the LV, the use of hidden staging tracks can take traffic off and onto the LV at either end. The Logan Valley apartently has a little more funds and started buying Diesels to upgrade it power, although steam is still in use. Most of the steam power is smaller locomotives, mainly consolidations, but there are a couple of mikes on the roster. Most of the LV diesels are B-B locomotives, Alco RSD-!'s and 3's, with a few other Alcos in the line up. I also have a few locomotives which I custom Painted for the GC&W. In my twisted history, the LV bought out the GC&W and just hasn't had the time to repaint the locomotives and rolling stock.

In the four town that the LV services, it tried to tie as many industries as I could together to generate local freight service as well as hauling through freights. A number of grain elevators serve a mill at Logan. Cattle loading pens supply cattle to a meat packing plant in Gallatin Gateway. I have a small log loading spur which supplies logs to a lumber mill which in turn not only ships lumber to destinations off of the layout, but also to lumber yards and a furniture factory on the layout. The layout was built mainly as a switching layout, with a yard and engine facility at each end or a point to point layout, but with the use of hidden staging tracks, trains can be run continuously but this rarely is done.

Even though the p[lan was done over 25 years ago, it apparently was good as my layout works exactly as planned.

ECI Layout Timeline
1980 - original 4x7 layout. Town of Westport.
1983 - 4x4 yard section added. Now L shaped.
1986 - removed yard section and built across back wall with new yard with return loop. To be connected to a new city section.
1987 - raised layout 6 inches.
1988 - city area in place with track through it and reversing loop under.
1991 - East Yard added to extend track through and beyond city.
1995 - major operational problems with original track moving with seasons. Ripped out original table structure, saved farm area and all buildings. Reversed layout of town of Westport placing farm at other end of section.
1997 - added a leg to Westport for Grain Operation.
1999 - Began changing to under table slo-motion switch machines and LED control panel operations. Began rebuilding of grain elevator area.
2004 - replaced an industry in East Yard with a new plastics plant.
2005 - Installed new backdrop behind grain elevator area.
2006 - Completed the grain elevator scene with buildings, storage bins and actual elevators.
2006 - Completed Westport with cars, figures, trees and buildings.
2007 - Placed oil dealer on layout
2008 - Ripped off half of city to correct the underlying track.
2009 - Added a drop down section to the Grain elevator at Westport.
2009 - Added DCC.
2010 - Wired Westport Elevator to more easily use DCC with it.
2012 - Added another rail line under the hills with two switched and a shut off section.
2012 - Added two Reverse Loop automatic control units to make reversing automatic.
2013 - Reversing Units failed. Took out automatic units to make reversing by DPDT switch.
2014 - Put in two new automatic reversing units.

I say that it is the same layout, but the only original piece is the farm scene.
To me, a layout is like the Energizer Bunny... It keeps going, and going, and... I only know one man who completely finished his layout and he promptly lost interest in it. - rph

I'm still dealing with the future of my railroad. I have the insulation done, now I'm building 4 walls, then it's on to drywall, then finally the railroad construction. It's going to be a while before I have any history. :)

The insulation is your ground breaking, but I bet your planning has been going on for a time.

Okay, finally had time to dig this up from the wayback machine. The core of it actually predates the track-plan, even!

Clifton & Woodville RR

Clifton & Woodville RR is my 14x14 HO layout. It’s a ‘proto-lance’ railroad that never existed, but is a fictionalized subsidiary/branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It’s set in approximately 1948 in rural Pennsylvania north of Harrisburg.

The valley described is a real place and the topography is much as described, though I am not modeling it precisely. Today a state highway runs through it. A railroad never did, to my knowledge.

The towns of Clifton and Woodville never existed, nor are they based on real towns, other than being typical of the area and accurate to the era.

The businesses, industries and situations described are realistic for the time and place, and there is a strong dose of my own family history inherent in the scenarios described.

Clifton & Woodville History

The story of the Clifton & Woodville Railroad (subsidiary of the PRR) is one of two towns in the wrong place: Clifton & Woodville.

About 45 miles north of Harrisburg, along a tributary of the Susquehanna River, just south of Selinsgrove lays a valley with the usual central Pennsylvania topography: a narrow valley running southwest/northeast between two arms of the northern Appalachian Mountains. The valley alternates between steep-sided forested hills and rock cliffs along the small river.

In the early 1900’s that valley was largely owned by two old-line Pennsylvania German farming families: They had done well farming and had grown… to the point that there was no longer enough land to support their clans. Their claims were hemmed in by the steep hillsides and impressive shale bluffs on each side of the valley. What to do?

Being German, and noting the high purity and quality of the local spring water, the first thing they did was start a brewery. But without easy access to proper grains, hops, etc. and with no way to transport the beer out before it ‘skunked’, the brewing operation quickly became simply a “local/family consumption” operation.

One day while excavating to try and clear more arable land, one of the sons found a seemingly endless gravel pit. With a good supply of limestone in the area and that gravel, the two families saw the future: Cement! The country was growing fast, cement was in demand, and they owned the key raw materials. They pooled their resources and founded Midstate Cement Company.

Regrettably, it was soon clear that the gravel pit was little more than an old curve of the river bed and by the 1920’s it was tapped out. The clans looked to the imposing cliffs surrounding their little community, but soon learned that the mostly-shale stone was not useful for cement.

Meanwhile, a family of Italian masons and sculptors had settled in the area in the 10’s and acquired Roundtop Mountain, overlooking Woodville, upon being told it was nearly all Granite. By the 20’s, it was clear this had proved false, and they discovered that Roundtop was round because it was essentially a huge pile of crumbly mixed stone suitable only for gravel… So they founded the Midstate Gravel Company.

Not to be so easily foxed, the “Midstate” cement folks immediately sued. Thankfully, the lawyers were pushed aside soon enough when it was realized that cooperation was the best policy.The families agreed to merge the businesses and fund a short line railroad from Roundtop at Woodville to the Cement Plant at Clifton. The gravel was in Woodville, and the families and plant were too established in Clifton to move.

First town in the wrong place: Clifton with its gravel-less cement plant. But the newly merged Midstate Cement & Gravel Company was ready and construction of the shortline started.

Now for Woodville… On the other side of the small river and up the valley a ways, Woodville had been founded in the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century around a Sawmill built to leverage the timber from Roundtop Mountain. But Roundtop was logged out by the 1910’s (sold to the Italians: “oh yeah sure, it’s all solid granite…”), and the Sawmill needed logs. Woodville was out of wood.

But the cliffs above Clifton were crowned by dense, old-growth forest… and rumor had it that the Cement & Gravel Consortium was building a railroad between the two. Adding a branch up to the clifftops would be simple enough, right? And so the Sawmill owners approached the Clifton folks and offered to help fund the railroad if they could have a branch to the virgin forests above Clifton. Yet another business and family joined the consortium.

Second town in the wrong place: Woodless Woodville… now home of Midstate Lumber Company.

By the mid 1920’s the short line railroad was built, and soon raw materials – gravel and logs - flowed nicely. Although the river-level portion of the shortline features level track and broad curves, the railroad's denizens in this period were (and remain) “ore car” type small hoppers, log buggies, and geared locomotives suitable to the 2-3% grades and tight curves on the portions that climb the valley sides. On Sundays, an ageing wooden clerestory-roof coach was run the length of the route to bring loggers, quarrymen and all into Clifton (the larger of the two towns) to attend the sole church, shop at the sole general store, and attend the weekly town meeting and picnic in the small park.

Although the depression soon hit, it proved relatively beneficial to the company. As owners of a vertically-integrated operation from raw materials up, Midstate was a price-leader: Although demand for cement and lumber was lessened, Midstate tended to get whatever contracts were available. It proved beneficial for their ability to get labor too: with one of the few businesses still expanding, Depression-era workers eagerly moved to the growing area seeking work and the population started increasing.

The biggest problem: the archaic system of moving finished lumber and cement mix to the urban markets. The nearest mainline was along the Susquehanna River and the nearest depot at Selinsgrove: Only about 12 miles away, but it might as well have been 1,200. Finished goods had originally been hauled out by horse-drawn wagons. More recently, trucks had been used, but the primitive roads and small capacity of trucks meant Midstate Cement & Gravel was missing out: they had more orders than they could fill.

Extending the shortline to about 4x its current length was beyond the means of the consortium. They had put pretty much everything into just the first few miles: to build more they needed revenue. To get revenue they needed to deliver much bigger volume to their customers. To deliver much bigger volume, they needed to extend the shortline. To extend the shortline they needed money… Round and round.

Meanwhile, the Pennsylvania Railroad was similarly weathering the depression better than most, and would be one of very few railroads to NOT declare bankruptcy. Seeking all possible new business, and hearing rumblings of this small railroad and growing area, they approached the parties involved with a proposal: If the railroad was reformed as a separate corporate entity, and PRR had an appropriate piece, they would connect it to their Middle Division at Selinsgrove thus providing direct rail access to markets like Harrisburg, Lancaster and beyond even to Philadelphia. Additionally, they would lease the shortline older PRR equipment at advantageous rates.

Knowing that their businesses could only grow with increased capacity to ship to customers, the consortium agreed. So in 1933, Midstate’s nameless private shortline became the Clifton & Woodville Railroad, with the usual shadowy multi-layered ownership & leasing contracts that meant PRR owned it, but didn’t.

Within a few years, PRR had extended the water-level portion of the C&W Railroad further down the valley, creating an east-west “cutoff” connector line from Lewiston to Selinsgrove. With the cutoff, westerly trains in and out of northeastern PA destinations like Wilkes-Barre and Scranton that previously had to run all the way down to Harrisburg, then all the way up the river could now use the ‘cutoff.’ Now not only gravel and logs and lumber and cement flowed over C&W tracks, but "mainline" PRR passenger and freight as well. Suddenly the brewery too became a viable business as hops and grain could be delivered, and reefers trains came through able to deliver product while keeping it fresh. For 'through' trains, the usually-seen equipment are K4-s locos pulling passenger traffic and M1's pulling reefer and boxcar trains. A couple daily 'locals' do stop at Clifton, but mostly passenger traffic is through. Woodville has once-weekly 'whistle-stop' passenger service. The local "sunday train" continues to run - now as a daily commuter for cement and sawmill workers who live along the line, and is pulled by a leased PRR 2-6-0. The old clerestory coach has been replaced by a couple well-worn 'heavyweight' coaches. Best of all, when mainline track work in the Harrisburg Division creates a diversion, the 'cutoff' route is the best detour, so occasionally the line sees Class-A trains such as the Broadway Limited.

CONTINUED in next post:

CONTINUED

As the nation geared up for and entered WWII, Midstate itself profited immensely and the former farmers, masons and sawyers of C&W became ‘fat cats’ indeed.

Now in the late 1940’s, change is in the air. For nearly a decade, despite a war, everyone involved has profited and thrived. BUT as the gravel quarry moves from cutting down roundtop mountain into operating as a ‘pit’ operation, it grows harder and more expensive to dig. As the forests just above Clifton are tapped out, logging crews must push further into the hills and further from the railhead to get logs. The youngest generation of the now-wealthy founding families, privileged, well-traveled, and educated in Europe, are not interested in running a rural Pennsylvania lumber & cement company. The “old man” (oldest of the founders’ sons – the one who found the gravel pit originally) still runs the company, but is in failing health.

And the vaunted Pennsylvania Railroad is having financial issues for the first time in its history. In 1946 it reported a net loss for the first time in its history. Slow to move away from Steam Locomotives, they are paying the price as their maintenance costs soar versus other operators who have dieselized faster. Equipment that was needed for massive wartime traffic is now a stone around their neck. And the practice of often having four – or even six - mainline tracks now seems a cost-burden as improved control systems permit denser operation on fewer tracks. It’s rumored that the company - once the largest corporation in the world with a budget larger than the U.S. government - may even discontinue its vaunted 100-year-long track record of consistent dividend payment. The first of the new diesel-electric E7 locos have recently appeared on C&W tracks, but are they in time? Can/will the company decommission multi-tracks and move to CTC? It’s also becoming clear that perhaps avoiding bankruptcy was not helpful – other railroads that cleared their debts and got a ‘fresh start’ are better positioned.

Will the PRR continue to support a minor branchline producing (in their perspective) minimal revenue during these turbulent times?

For now, the gravel flows to the cement plant, the logs flow to the sawmill, finished good flow down the line to Enola and Harrisburg. Passenger and freight trains continue to use the line, bringing goods and transport to the residents – but get shorter with each passing year.

What’s next?

I'm not sure if I was clear that this isn't my own little private thread about just my railroad, but is an invitation for y'all to join in and post a history of your railroad. My Northland is a freelance fantasy railroad, but even if you model prototype railroads there will be a back-story behind what's going on on your tracks. Please join me and post the story of your railroad in this thread. I'm hoping you'll post not just the physical history of the layout, but the imagined history of how your particular railroad and its operations came to be.

Nice. Gives me the idea for a model RR blog formatted to look like a newspaper with hypothetical events, advertising, etc. taken from what is depicted on the layout.

My family history train is in progress. Real genealogy and places melded into a railroad linkage where the geography has been altered.
Hopefully by Feb 7, 2015
123 june 1962.jpg
undertaker.jpg

123 wood.jpg
Rowans Funeral Home.JPG
http://www.minotmemories.com/

for example, this is a building my grandfather owned and ran a store from. It was at one time a funeral home, among other things. My railroad background will have photos of these old buildings, descriptions will be on the back of the photos for my son and others to read explaining how they fit into the family history. Somewhat of a living history. The train was also my grandfathers. Era is 1950's through the '70's mainly, but also more current photos of how my son's life fits into these scenes.

Has anyone else thought out an imagined history of their railroad that they will share with the rest of us? :confused:

azdiane,

I have only just caught up with thread and it certainly is an interesting one. A theoretical layout history, I will have to think about that for mine, unless you want the real history of it :)

Great thread.

The history of the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad is typical of the makeup of the "Q". In 1894, the line between Grashhook (a ficticious place my grandfather used to joke about), Galesburg, Illinois and points West), running some places like the Burlington & Missouri River, was purchased by the Burlington, becoming a division. Grashhook is a small town on the "south" side of my 14x13'7" layout, and features two stub terminal tracks that are normally home to a suburban "dinky" (a single double-decker commuter car pulled by Zephyr #9908, the last "shovelnose" motor), and a Climax steam locomotive pulling a couple of cars up to a ski resort on the "north" side of the layout. A stub spur serves a small concrete plant and lumber yard, while another spur ends at the wall, but has a mirror that produces the illusion of the track extending further south towards an imaginary Quincy, Illinois. Also in this area is Donaskme wye, which connects to the main line as it curves from eastbound to northbound, allowing for turning of the commuter, or steam locomotives that are too large for the 90' turntable at Galesburg. The main line curves around westbound on the north side of the layout going to either Denver, or somesuch (never have made up my mind), where the line curves southbound where there is a large station served by three tracks. These tracks curve in three return (not reversing) loops back around under an overpass, then heading back north and then curving eastbound, giving the illusion of a twin-track main. The main follows the rest of the loop, but then curves around in a single return loop around Galesburg's yard. A combination open-pit and undrground coal mine is tucked in at the base of a cliff, the coal being supplied to a power plant near the north end of Denver. In addition to Zephyr #9900 (Con-Cor's postwar version), one can also see a short Zephyr pulled by Silver King and Silver Queen "motors" (the "Q"'s term for most diesel-electrics locos). But, occasionally, a NP "North Coast Ltd" or GN "Empire Builder" or even a Milwuakee Road "Hiawatha" will show up. (I like running passenger trains, especially Zephyrs, as I use to ride them as a kid. Not so much the "story" of my layout, but a description of long ago. ;)

Christmas morning, 1955, I opened the first of many boxes to find a brand new Lionel 027 cast iron locomotive.
Between here and the next line are volumes of stories and events that have shaped the current D&J Railroad, largest DCC HO layout in northern Virginia.
Yesterday, I programmed a couple more signals on the D&J Railroad.

Here's mine off of my website, you can click the link in my sig. to see the whole thing. Haven't done much on it lately, but need too. I copied and pasted off of it, and for some reason, I can't get the text color to change to black all the way through.

Alabama Central Concept

Reality

My RR is called the Alabama Central, a real short line. Back in the early part of the twentieth century the road was built to service various coal mines northwest to southwest of Jasper, Alabama. The road would service these mines and bring the coal down to interchange with the Southern RR interchange that is near Jasper. Although the line never got much bigger than twelve or so miles long, it had some profitable years, although most years it made no money at all. There were at several times in Alabama history, at least 3 if not 4 other Alabama Centrals existed. They were never in service at the same time and were never in the same locations within the state boundaries.
Hard times came onto the railroad with the Great Depression, and by the end of WWII, the coal traffic wasn't profitable enough to sustain the railroad and the line was abandoned in 1956. There is currently one old locomotive preserved on the campus of the Alabama Mining Museum in Dora, Al and supposedly one is resting on its back halfway up the mountain along the old roadbed. The loco was abandoned in place, and over the years, the roadbed got washed out from under it and it rolled down the mountain. This has not been confirmed. Also, according to the October 1943 ORER, The Alabama Central owned no cars for revenue service! I do have a picture of a prototype AC caboose, and it was one of the old SRR wood cabooses.One of the locos went to a short line in Tenn, the Oneida and Western.

Area Modeled

The area I chose to model is one that I am very familiar with. It’s center is my hometown of Selma, Al. Here I placed the main yard, engine service facilities, and main terminal. All station names on the railroad are from real locations on the Southern mainline from Selma to Birmingham, Al. There is one exception, and that is a switching area known as Fulton. It’s actually located about 75 miles south of Selma, but it is on the Southern main line. While the model mainline is somewhat short, serving as a connector mainly between Selma and Burnsville, along with the lines to the staging yards, located east and west of Selma. At Burnsville the branch line to Maplesville, splits off and is actually the focal point of the operations. Along here are actually the industries that the RR will serve. The largest of the industries, is Confederate Hill Mining Co. A small coalmine that supplied the blast furnace at Tannehill, Al, during the Civil War, inspired it. The name itself came from an old bar that used to be located on this hill many years ago. Iron and Steel made at Tannehill was shipped to Selma, where the largest arsenal and Navy Yard, outside of Richmond, VA was located.

History of the Model Railroad

Agents for a mining company found new coal reserves, that were easy to get from the ground for the road to haul shortly before the war, (WWII), and being some shrewd cusses, they first bought all the stock in the RR they could for just pennies on the dollar. Then they announced the discovery of the new coalfields, which caused the stock to skyrocket in price. Result was they became filthy rich, built new lines, took over a few, merged with some as the dominant partner and made even more money.

Their little railroad became a giant in the Southeast, with lines from Little Rock, Ark to Jacksonville Fl, via Selma, Alabama and points north and south of this trunk.
They bought even more locomotives and cars to deal with ever expanding traffic, but never bought anything new. They surely did love the skrill of the bagpipes, in other words, they wuz cheap!!!

They bought whatever used was on the market and brought it home to be rebuilt by the road's mechanics. The Chief Mechanic, Crusty O’rench, was a grumpy Scottish cuss himself, along with his crew, kept all the locos in great condition and working like new. His able assistants, Yassir Itsa Flat who ran the wheel shop, and Slo-Medown Milosovich, who is in charge of the car and brake shops, kept the equipment in top-notch shape. Because of their efforts, the road remained steam powered up to the early sixties. They had even succeeded in acquiring a controlling interest in the Southern, and several of their subsidiaries. But one thing they didn’t do was change the paint scheme of the Southern, nor it's numbering system. In fact they liked it so much, that they patterned the numbering system and freight colors of the AC to it!

America West Lines had hoped that Feb 7 would be their revised inauguration day, but like much of railway development, that will not be close! There is so much history of railroads to learn that has taken time and as this is a genealogical road, the Chairman is also studying the shareholders. This is to be the semi-fictional link to the places where family has lived, worked, and played. The Chairman sincerely wishes for his successor to someday accept the role and continue running the line. However, at this time his son's five year mission is to travel the galaxy and save our world from invaders of all sorts.

AWL
is a holding company for many small lines throughout the west. Some lines existed only on paper or in scheming minds of charlatans. Others were begun, struggled in fits and starts, eventually sold, merged, liquidated, or languished after making fortunes for some but breaking others. The lineage of the survivors can be tracked to very many former roads. We have placed ourselves in this actual railroad history as well as the fictional layouts of other modelers to acquire pieces that fit together into a system to link our real world. Some sections are purely AWL fabrications. This is a study of the West, railroads, model trains, and of family.

So it appears that what was started as a Christmas train will truly be a long term project. I hope that this thread will stay alive for us to learn (steal is such a harsh word) the art of becoming a railroad baron.

... I hope that this thread will stay alive for us to learn (steal is such a harsh word) the art of becoming a railroad baron.

As Railroad Barons, that harsh word is what we do best!

As modelers, we do borrow ideas, tips, & techniques, to improve our skills and rise that plateau that shows we are TRUE ARTEESTS!

And if you believe that, I have some nice waterfront property to sell you, just north of Mobile, AL, off the Mobile River, on Little Crab Creek. You can see it everyday at low tide!

PS; Don't mind the gators, they're just passing through!

Back