The greenbrier logging and coal co

On the new plan you will have a hard time getting a train onto the branchline. Your switchbacks at the bottom only have room for a short locomotive and a short car at a time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OK, Scrap that plan and start over. New plan, How many now?? Don't worry i did this last time. when i built the last one. Have it rough. See what you think. I have a couple of small issues with it but looks ok. untitled.jpg

The choice of course is yours, but I am puzzled by your preference for a switchback connection to the branch instead of making it a simple straight off the main connection.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ahh, ran out of room. no just kidding, I never seen a reason for main line traffic to enter the branch line to the logging camp. I just kinda kept it separate. from the mains.

Last edited by a moderator:
The runaround track on the bottom of the branch is alot shorter than the one at the top.

That runaround and the unloading track are the two areas i am still working on. I don't like them the way they are. just don't know how i am going to fix the area yet.

How about something like this (again, very rough, and the area inside the yellow oval has a lot of additional possibilities for track, buildings, or both)

No Name Layout 3.jpg

Again i am questioned, why do i need a line from the main to branch? I like the idea of a runaround but the main to the branch? I don't get it...

Again i am questioned, why do i need a line from the main to branch? I like the idea of a runaround but the main to the branch? I don't get it...

Do you need it? No. I just wasn't sure of the logic in not having a connection there. I think not having the link would constrain some operating maneuvers. I do think your revision is an improvement.

Because people don't understand what you're thinking. You are planning to interchange cars between the mainline and the branch. So the switch back connection works for your purpose. Operations is a whole other hobby almost in itself. I am fascinated by realistic operation. Some are bored by realistic operating procedures. Model railroads are like novels in that some start with the disclaimer "a long time ago and in Galaxy far away "(ie, I don't care what it looks like) while others are specific "the PRR mainline in 1943". We all fall somewhere different on the spectrum of realistic modeling.

I think your latest design uses a lot of turnouts to accomplish the goals. That's a lot of redundant trackage. I look at my railroad as if it were a real business making a profit. The least amount of track to get the job done is desired. Especially turnouts.

I would use the switch back and make your run around tracks the same length at the top and bottom of the branch. The shorter of the two will generally determine the longest train length on the branch.

Wow, be gone for a long weekend and look what happens.

OK, Scrap that plan and start over. New plan, How many now??
Yeah, I think I did about 34 last time I did a layout from scratch. Even then it wasn't laid and run more than 2 weeks before a not minor modification.

That gets back to one of my questions a few pages ago. Is the logging branch its own railroad, or is it part of a bigger system. If the former there doesn't need to be a line from main to branch. In fact, that scenario would more interesting to operate. If the logging is part of a bigger system most likely there would be a direct connection for efficiency purposes.

Notice on the layout below, which is the same concept where a mining railroad is meeting a larger railroads main, the siding flows into the branch but that is just a coincidence. It could have been a switch back off the spur in front of the station.
PINERIDG.jpg

Yep, Mine the branch is its own R.R. and the main is the bigger system. I want to change this one just a bit. Will show it when it is done, Dan

Well, Looks like i can't remove the turnout off the main and keep the runaround so i guess it will stay. Plan close to final so shot is below. Won't start this till late summer as we are making a move in June. Can't handle this area anymore but can't leave till after Deb has surgery and rehab. Have to put up with it till then.

Attachments

• No Name R.R. 5.jpg
    No Name R.R. 5.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 401
Haven't been around here, (or anywhere else much lately). Been looking for some land but not having to much luck with that. Prices to high or to many acres. Will keep looking. I finally came up with a name for the layout. The Morningwood Lumber Co. Not to bad. I like it. Guess its better than the No Name Layout. I guess thats all for now, Dan

Been looking for some land but not having to much luck with that. Prices to high or to many acres. Will keep looking.
Where are you looking and how much land do you want? I got 1/2 a city block (2.4 acres) for about $2000 in the middle of Kansas a few years back. There is a single unit lot (90x100?) across the street that I presume will be for sale soon.

Central Texas covers a lot of ground! The trick is to go to the area that you are interested in, and finding a local realtor whose office looks like it has been there for awhile. They tend to know all of the local farmers/ranchers who might be willing to sell off a small parcel that isn't "on the market". Electricity is everywhere, propane is easy to have delivered, but water may be an issue in some places without drilling your own well. Sometimes a 5-acre parcel is available for only a fraction more than a 1-acre parcel due to surveying/deeding costs etc.
Willie

Back