The greenbrier logging and coal co

Yes that's better. I prefer to make it so trains can enter the mainline from either track of the passing siding. One day you will have the urge to run two trains.
Turnouts can be in the middle of a constant grade. It might be ok where the train is moving slowly too.
I am a thinking you might want to test how many cars your locomotive can push up a grade like the branch you have. In my experience I had a branchline grade of 6%~ and my switcher locomotive could only push 2 cars up the grade at a time. Having the branch come off the other direction would allow a gentler grade.
Your yard area on the left is not very useful either. I would reduce it to one or two tracks. Then the tracks left will hold 4-5 cars each instead of 2-3.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had a shay a few years ago. I had a small 2X3 loop of track on a board, and i raised it 6 inches on one end. The shay pulled 5 cars up to where it got to the top. the cars broke loose and fell over to the bottom but the shay stayed on the track. Never fell off the track. i stopped it once at the top. it stayed right there.

TOO TRUE! As much as we would like that it was otherwise, it's NOT a "real railroad", it's a TOY, PLAY with it and have FUN!!!!
I take model railroading more seriously than my job! I find the details more fun than running trains in circles.
It's your railroad and I just try to make you aware of the consequences of choices. Especially the ones that can take the joy out of model railroading when you realize you have to start over to fix design issues. Many minor issues can be handled operationally.

Sorry OleSmokie ....... I understand completely!

The longer you are in this hobby, as well as the more diverse you get, and subsequently greater variety of model RR personas, the more you learn there are many that have die hard opinions about nearly everything. You did get some very GOOD tips, such as yard tracks, grades turnout placements etc.

I am an old fart with a far more laid back, perspective. I even PLAYED with REAL TRAINS, aka 1:1 scale as a switchman on the NYC based at the local yard here. I worked in the yard and on way-freight, so I have a little REAL railroad experience. Back then, mid 60s your first 3 days were spent just learning the ropes & mainly how to safely (oxymoronic term) get on & off moving trains. One nice thing about scale model RR play is you are far less likely to loose a limb or you life with one wrong move.

Real trains are REAL WORK, and not nearly as glamorous as we like to think. It's dirty and sometimes HARD WORK, not to mention dangerous. The PAY was very good, especially since I worked the board, on-call, no regular schedule, and often worked double shifts. One time I got called in 2 hrs after a way-freight crew shift had started, I had another 2 hrs to show up on the job, and got paid for the whole shift! Did I mention its NOT nearly as glamorous as we like to think? That night when serving a Goodyear plant with hoppers of lamp-black, (& picking up empties), you know gotta make the tires BLACK) I had to ride a car to a switch, get off and change it. It was DARK and I do mean DARK! (the ONLY light I had was my RR lantern) I got off the moving consist safely, but I landed one foot on one tie and the other foot on the other tie, and landed with my butt sitting on the switch indicator, that was CLOSE!

Real railroaders language would even make a sailor blush! I was in Navy aerospace avionics, so that might be a less than a completely fair call. Model railroaders language can also get unfit for children's ears. The club I belonged to had members in many scales, but HO, being the most popular ruled or had the most control over the club, and attitudes, & even arguments between scales etc were too common.

One night a long time club member got carried away with his mouth on a open house night with FAMILIES (including children) holiday season touring. I complained about his potty mouth being unsuitable in front of families with kids there as well as my kids and I was the one asked to LEAVE. The next meeting I packed up my stuff and left. I was NOT going to subject my kids to this ole timers dirty language, that on top of club politics was ENOUGH. There were some great people n the club, I am still friends with a few, but a couple rotten apples ruined it for everyone else, at least that is MY opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't taking the conversation that seriously. We are not that stiff around here. Sometimes things are taken the wrong way or a joke is understood as a statement. The internet doesn't transmit the tone of the conversation.

I will try this thread again. No fighting allowed!!! I am sick and have been fighting it (whatever it is) since before Christmas. As i have felt up to it i have been working on a completely different layout plan. only a few things are somewhat the same. The layout is 36"X 6',5". I haven't started it yet. Haven't had any energy for anything. Have work on the truck and haven't done any of it. Work on the house and again, done nothing. Not sure when i may do anything again. Have a couple of shots of the new plan. Still have no name for it. Still not sure if i want steam or diesel yet. Not sure what era. Not sure i will even ever build it. Anyway, there it is for what it is, Dan
rsz_screenhunter_75_mar_03_1010.jpg rsz_screenhunter_74_mar_03_1009.jpg

Dan
If the intent of this plan is realistic operation, your plan is not good at all. Suggest you do some serious reading on how RRs operate & what kind tracks they use to operate. These comments are based on being around real RRs professionally since 1974 & a modeler since 1956.

I took part of two different plans from one of the logging books i have. went with that. don't know if i can scan the plans they gave into the computer or not. printer has been acting up lately. will try and post later, Dan

I am sick and have been fighting it (whatever it is) since before Christmas.
Sorry to hear about that. Been living with a sick and miserable spouse for 6 years now (cancer), so I'm very empathetic.

As i have felt up to it i have been working on a completely different layout plan. only a few things are somewhat the same.
So in summary I would classify this as a continuous loop with branch. A very versatile plan for a small space. My 2'x8' was this type. I had a mine at the end of the branch.

My first comment would be that the main line should not go through the ladder of the yard. That could easily be fixed by making the yard track closest to the edge be the main instead of the 3rd track. That would also prevent a local train made up in the yard for the branch from having to cross the main. Or connect the main to the lead into the loco house instead off off the yard. A train would still have to cross over the main, but the main wouldn't be slamming through the yard ladder.

If you really don't want the main to be along the edge of the layout (which I agree is pretty boring), then the yard area could be made into some industries. All one really needs to serve the branch is a yard of a single spur. The passing track in the very center could be re-arranged and re-purposed for this.

Or yet another thought. Turn the main in a bit sooner, make the yard 1 track larger, and make the branch track leave from the yard. Eventually curving up and over the main.

But having said all that. A logging railroad is a very different thing than a normal RR especially a class 1. Do you know if you are planning the logging RR to be from the log camp down to the main, or is the logging RR the whole thing?

Well, Here are the changes i have made so far. not sure but i may change a couple more but don't know how i can do it yet. shot below, DanScreenHunter_76 Mar. 07 14.17.jpg

I think the basic concept is on the right track (no pun intended!) ... I'd tweak the yard area in the front quite a bit, however... also, for the mostly hidden main line, I'd keep it visible up the left side there and not enter the tunnel until about the upper left hand corner. Do I read correctly that the overall size is 3 feet by a little over 6 feet?

Here's a very rough and incomplete idea for how to begin tweaking the yard -- adding a runaround off the main, and a drill track off the runaround that allows switching the yard and engine terminal (that is an engine terminal, right? if not, disregard) without fouling the main.

OleSmokey.jpg

Again, this is just a very rough concept, and lots of room for improvement.

For whatever it's worth...

ADDED:

I left the branch off my sketch, but NOT because I think the branch is a bad idea --just for simplicity. I do think the branch line should not come right down the yard ladder, though -- maybe you'd want a runaround up the yard ladder as well, or something like that.

BTW, Dan -- not sure if you were aware that it's possible to save a JPG file from a SCARM document so you don't have to do screen shots each time.

Like this: File | Export

1.jpg

Select "JPG" from the Export options (see dropdown menu arrow at the right); confirm the name of the jpg file (I suggest you save as a new file each time, using numbers, but whatever works for you); then click "save".

2.jpg

Didn't know that. Will try that. One of the problems I do have is that one of my sites has a max size on it and I end up resize it to post it so I just post that size at all forums.

Well, This is what i have right now. Still not happy yet. i need to figure out where to put the company store and i don't like the runaround for the engine on the track to the logging camp. Not sure what i am doing there yet. DanNo Name 1 .jpg

I must add my 1/2 pence to this topic.....

YOU are the rail Barron of YOUR layout, As the Barron, you can do ANYTHING YOU want, there is no right or wrong. I have steam, diesel and electric, plus traction. Era? I model ALL, from old west to Acela (hi speed Amtrak), European high speed, and Japanese bullet trains.

In short, I have THREE that I need to please, they are ME, MYSELF and I. Nobody else really counts. However I do toss/share ideas out and sometimes get good ideas & suggestions & feedback, but the buck, so to speak, stops here with ME.

hehe, yep i guess so. i just want it to look more realistic. Trying to improve on the old layout is the hard part. Your ideas are what helps me to do it.

Back