The Geep Fleet

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Taking a break from switchers for a bit (I know, your shocked!!) and turned to the numerous GP60's I have laying around here. Here's the current 6 in different stages of completion.

100_1252.jpg

Being that they are all UP and SP, the SP have to be patched. While looking through tons of pictures I noticed that all of the UP/SP units had no rear number boards. So here's a view of my fix for that.

100_1253-1.jpg

I shaved off the raised edges of the existing number board housings, then sanded down the number boards themselves so they would fit totally inside the housings and glued them in place. Then a coating of putty that still needs to be sanded.

Now to another area that requires attention. Athearn drilled the holes for the 2 long stanchions at the angled blower housing in the wrong place. So filled in the existing holes, drilled new ones, installed the stanchions, then installed the blower housing step guard.

100_1255.jpg

Lots more detail parts to add, paint to be applied, decals, etc. More to come.......................... ;)

Some progress made on the Geep Fleet this week. First 2 are near completion, middle 2 need UP armor yellow applied, last 2 need SP scarlet applied.

100_1326-1.jpg

Nice to see something diversifying your switcher army. :D Is that an open door on #1962?

Yes, both 1962 and 2050 have some open doors. I kinda like the look of a door someone forgot to secure. Besides, I have tons of these Cannon doors I need to do something with!!! LOL ;)

100_1328.jpg

Very nice, I like the open door idea. I was thinking of doing the same on a future scratch-building project, for my NMRA AP Cert.

One of these days I'll do an engine with all of the doors open and a Walthers prime mover inside.

Might I add.....sweeeeeeet! I am back on the road again jerome. I would like to chat with ya whens a good time to call ya? PM me thx. Ya gotta love them GP60s I started a thre like 3yrs ago where I had started working on my 2 GP60 demos but ofcourse I didn't finish loli had ordered th cabs and starte the mods but that was far as I got. Becaue of the round roof and flat face....

The thread was titled I can't seem to copy the link with my BB phone
Emdx Gp60 #5 & #7

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, gotta bring this thread back to life. Finally got all of the parts and pieces I need to finish these off. To start with, to make these DCC friendly I've added KayDee coupler boxes to the frames to eliminate any chance of shorting. This is just the rough install, they need to be fine tuned and shimmed to correct height still, then everything gets repainted the frame color.

100_1901-1.jpg

OK, more progress today. Got the first two competed. Ex-SP unit 2050.

100_1906.jpg

And Ex-SSW unit 1962.

100_1907-1.jpg

BTW the KayDee coupler boxes mounted onto the frame worked perfect. They matched the coupler gauge evenly. Not bad for first try at it.

Opps, almost forgot the most important details on 2050. This is per the prototype.

100_1908.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2019 and 2024 got some fading done to them and are getting a couple of new doors on each side. What they will look like is anybodies guess. ;)

100_1915-1.jpg

As we all know Uncle Pete (UP) likes to patch everything it can. Well I try to bring back the Fallen Flags in my own way whenever I can. ;) 2019 and 2024 are my tributes to 3 fallen flags, Southern Pacific, Cotton Belt and the Rio Grande.

100_1920.jpg

100_1918.jpg

I need to stock up on more 78" X 18" doors now!!

I love those. I've seen a few similar repaired units over the years since the merger/acquisition. Glad to see the old roads aren't completely forgotten.

As we all know Uncle Pete (UP) likes to patch everything it can. Well I try to bring back the Fallen Flags in my own way whenever I can. ;) 2019 and 2024 are my tributes to 3 fallen flags, Southern Pacific, Cotton Belt and the Rio Grande.

100_1920.jpg

100_1918.jpg

I need to stock up on more 78" X 18" doors now!!

i absolutely love the engines and i approve of these locomotives to be on the point lol

Back