The First J9000 Doubleheader Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
No further explanation needed.

[video=youtube;MzG46ouY1nE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzG46ouY1nE[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Another giant locomotive that only one road had. I would love to see more manufacturers come out with different versions of the smaller wheel arrangements. There were more than just USRA 2-8-2's, 4-6-2's & 2-10-2's.

As I see it, we need different versions of all these wheel arrangements. We need more versions and sizes of 2-8-0's, 4-6-0's, 2-10-0's as well. I believe that the manufacturers would make more money with a greater variety of small and medium sized locos, than they are now with these giant locos that well over 90% of MR's can't run on their home layouts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing those who buy these and other "giants". I would never criticize any individual modeler on their equipment choices or their layout choices. But I believe that we need greater choices in steam as there are in diesels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a doubleheader with the 0-10-2 in the lead and the 9000, I cranked the throttle, the 9000 slipped, while the 0-10-2 didnt budge....8-D...(falls on the floor)....so I jacked the startup voltage on it and they finally moved togther, but with my lumpy track I found my wimpy springs were making the front steps touch the rail shorting. So I pulled it and ran the 9000 alone with a train for some fun and excersize, I'll swap the springs to light and see what on the 0-10-2.

Another giant locomotive that only one road had. I would love to see more manufacturers come out with different versions of the smaller wheel arrangements. There were more than just USRA 2-8-2's, 4-6-2's & 2-10-2's.

As I see it, we need different versions of all these wheel arrangements. We need more versions and sizes of 2-8-0's, 4-6-0's, 2-10-0's as well. I believe that the manufacturers would make more money with a greater variety of small and medium sized locos, than they are now with these giant locos that well over 90% of MR's can't run on their home layouts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing those who buy these and other "giants". I would never criticize any individual modeler on their equipment choices or their layout choices. But I believe that we need greater choices in steam as there are in diesels.

I saw some pics of the B&OCT in Chicago with their 0-6-0's for the first time, and they were the most beefed up 0-6-0 I have ever seen. No light duty engine these were, they had to shunt trains around the yards, they were almost as powerful as a NKP berk, perhaps short by some 1000 lbs tractive effort, still good enough to drag long strings of cars.

See, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Try to find anything but a USRA 0-6-0 in HO, and except for Bachmann 0-6-0T, there really isn't any. In brass there are far more choices. For 0-8-0's there are a couple of USRA's and the old AHM IHB 0-8-0. Outside of brass that's all there is. In 2-8-0's there's the superb Bachmann, an IHC, (when it can be found) and the new BLI. Non-brass 2-10-0's? Bachmann again. I know that are a couple of 2-6-0's, but that is a loco that is even older than the 2-8-0's and was not seen much after 1920. There are a couple of plastic 2-8-4's but not everyone needs them.

Try to find a non USRA Mike or Pacific, and except for the old Mantua's, there aren't any I know of. In brass there are several non-USRA versions of all these wheel arrangements, but not everyone wants a brass loco.

What I really like about Ken's videos is that, with big steam running on concrete ties with modern signals, I get a real feeling of something special, like a fan trip.

If you wish to model UP's only 0-8-0, get a Mikado and remove the pilot truck. UP removed the pilot after an accident and presto: their only 0-8-0.

Back