The ever so famous question

Joe

Ok so. I have the Bachmann 0-6-0 UP steam engine HO and I didn't like the colors so I spray painted it black and it looks gorgeous. Then I tried weathering with chalks and if I do say so myself, it looked pretty good for my first attempt. Then I tried sealing it with Clearcoat. The weathering went away. I KNEW that would happen so I tried again this time HEAVILY weathering it like to the point where it was ugly :( Again, the clearcoat washed it all away. I don't want to keep repeating the process because I fear the excess clearcoat with start getting rid of details like rivets. So I have several questions about weathering.

1.) What am I doing wrong?

2.) Is clearcoat a bad choice over dull coat?

Thanks to you weathering masters who can help me.

- Joe

Using chalk. Some type of weathering powder (powdered pigments) would be a better choice as they are more concentrated and have some natural adhesive qualities, so they'll stick better.

Also, dullcoat the model before weathering, the powders will stick to the rougher surface better.

Dullcoat is a trademark name for a clear coat that dries to a matte finish. Not sure if you are spraying from a can or airbrushing, but airbrushing will give thinner coats and remove less of your chalk work.

For more weathering tips and tricks from people who know A LOT MORE than me, visit:
www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/
username: mtw
password: enter

No I am using a spray can but dont plan on buying an airbrush. So should I buy dullcoat?

Also I've been there. They are genius.

Just mix the chalks with 70% rubbing alcohol, it sticks the chalk to the model and evaporates, leaving the chalk stuck to the model.

By mix I mean, dip your brush into the rubbing alcohol, then dip it into your chalks and "paint" on the chalk colors.

I use Dulcoat to lock down the decals. The dulcoat is great if you mess up the weathering you can wash it off and start over and not mess up the decals.

Just my 2 cents.

MilesWestern: If I were to "paint" the chalk on, that wouldn't look bad?

Mac Loco Works: There are no decals.

Back