The ever changing HO scale layout

Obviously they're not into internet sales.

All I know about that place is where it is and that's about it. Never been in there. I do know that I need some cork roadbed and a few turnouts. I'll need a few sticks of flex track and then next tax season I will be on the hunt for a DCC set up. Slow going, for sure!

Was able to scrape up enough for another 4x8 sheet of 2" foam board today, ($37.00!!) OUCH! One more to go and I'll be done with that madness. I'm sure that most of you guys know this already but for those that may be just getting in to this - a jig saw cuts beautifully through this stuff! Don't use a knife or your cuts will be messy. Ask me how I know. 20140424_192010.jpg

Gary is like me, it's an easy drive to there. I live about 10 miles from it and he is slightly further.

That's right. Even with my social anxiety troubles - I still rather doing business eyeball to eyeball. I'm a brick and mortar fan

Can't believe that it has been 4 months since my last post. It's sad when life gets in the way of things that we enjoy. Transmission went out in my gmc pickup truck but after a few restless weeks - a friend traded me his mini van and 1600 cash for it so back on the road! I wish I could say that I've made progress on the layout but I can't. :eek:( I' have experimented with some different spray paints and I'm getting close to the colors that I need. Here are a few photos. Not much difference from the last (i know) but now that both kids are in school - I promise to get back after it. I hope that you all have enjoyed your summer and over the past few nights - I have really enjoyed reading the progress on your layouts! 100_1174.jpg100_1175.jpg100_1176.jpg100_1178.jpg

Thank you so much, Mr. Jim. You are light-years ahead of me so I've got some serious catching up to do. I've been fooling around with a track ideas, today, on the industry side and I still haven't made any decisions. It will all come together when it's time (i hope). Looking forward to watching the progress on yours!

Way out of focus but I'm thinking something along these lines for the industry sideIMG_20140817_201656.jpg. This is from the January 1988 MR magazine. The Carbondale Central is the name of the layout.

Way out of focus but I'm thinking something along these lines for the industry sideView attachment 44876. This is from the January 1988 MR magazine. The Carbondale Central is the name of the layout.

That doesn't look all that far off from the track you already had in place for the industrial end of your layout. It should fit in there nicely. Just be careful you don't end up with too tight a radius. There are a couple places on that track plan that appear to have a very tight radius in the photo.

That doesn't look all that far off from the track you already had in place for the industrial end of your layout. It should fit in there nicely. Just be careful you don't end up with too tight a radius. There are a couple places on that track plan that appear to have a very tight radius in the photo.

you are exactly right. They are using an 18" radius and I have room enough for a 22'' radius on the industry side and a 24" radius on the Neighborhood side. Still tight but I'm hoping that I can do it.

The track you already have laid out on the industrial end of your layout looks like a good start towards duplicating that track plan. It looks like you have plenty of space to make it work. Its hard to tell, but it looks like there are a couple places on that track plan that have rather tight radius curves. I think you have enough space that you won't need to go as tight on the radius.

The track you already have laid out on the industrial end of your layout looks like a good start towards duplicating that track plan. It looks like you have plenty of space to make it work. Its hard to tell, but it looks like there are a couple places on that track plan that have rather tight radius curves. I think you have enough space that you won't need to go as tight on the radius.

Thank you, Mr. Jim. I do appreciate your input

I would make a few modifications to that layout...

Instead of having the yard tracks bending up to the right (in the photo) why not keep them more in line with the yeard lead, and have them go down to the right. Straighter yard tracks are good, and I think these could even give you more yard track.

At that point, you could also extend the siding that is currently just around the inside of the curve, to go all the way across the straight section at the top, too. And maybe even more of the bottom.

In terms of life getting in the way of layout work, I hear ya!
I just spent all my free time, and a good bit of vacation time, too, rebuilding the room that will house the layout. I had to build a dolly to accept the portable layout (on its side) so that it could be wheeled into the garage, then remove all the winch rigging. The room got a total rebuild (not done yet!) all the way down to the footing for the walls, but when it comes back, it will be cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, the layout will be able to be winched higher (above heads) and the lighting will be great. So, many months of layout construction lost, but it will be in a better place when I have it all back in place later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a few modifications to that layout...

Instead of having the yard tracks bending up to the right (in the photo) why not keep them more in line with the yeard lead, and have them go down to the right. Straighter yard tracks are good, and I think these could even give you more yard track.

At that point, you could also extend the siding that is currently just around the inside of the curve, to go all the way across the straight section at the top, too. And maybe even more of the bottom.

I really like your idea, Santa Fe Jack. I'll probably go with that.

Sounds like you'll have a really nice spot when it's all said and done. What part of New Mexico are you in? I've been all over that beautiful state (and the surrounding ones) and wouldn't mind moving out that way later in life, Lord willing.

Thank you so very much for your input. I really do appreciate all the help and ideas that y'all can give. This is my first layout and I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Los Alamos, about 20 miles northwest of Santa Fe, as the crow flies. It is a beautiful area, and I am thankful that I managed to figure out a way to move here 16 years ago. It's been a great place to raise kids, being safe, with great access to nature and world class geology, a highly educated populace, perfect climate, and green chiles! Speaking which, the roasting has begun! Yum yum!

I live in Los Alamos, about 20 miles northwest of Santa Fe, as the crow flies. It is a beautiful area, and I am thankful that I managed to figure out a way to move here 16 years ago. It's been a great place to raise kids, being safe, with great access to nature and world class geology, a highly educated populace, perfect climate, and green chiles! Speaking which, the roasting has begun! Yum yum!

That is a beautiful area despite Oppenheimer's attempts. I've been through there a few times and I really like it out there.

Yes, the weaponeers have made a mess of things, though at least for now it is highly localized. My profession is to clean up radioactive waste messes like that. It matters not whether we ever agreed to their production in the first place -- the wastes are there to be dealt with. Somebody has to do it, and one hopes that it is someone with a conscience.

Back to train-related stuff: There used to be rail line from Colorado down to Santa Fe, including a stop at Otowi crossing, where the road into Los Alamos crosses the Rio Grande. It was called the Chili Line, and it was ripped out in 1942. This timing was bad in retrospect, since a year later, the Manhattan Project started, and Los Alamos could have well used that rail connection.

That's really something. I really enjoy reading about all of that and listening to the old stories. My Grandfather's brother worked for the Army Ballistic Missile Agency under General Medaris and von Braun then was in on the transfer over to NASA where he later retired. I wonder how much of that ripped out rail was melted down for the war effort

Back