The ever changing HO scale layout

gseritt

So with the "inclement weather" that has kept us home bound for a few days I finally got bored enough, today, to start on the benchwork for my son's portion of the layout. Still only have a very vague idea on the track plan but built a bench, and loosely laid some foam board and some 24" curved track so my son could see how it may look on one side. This layout will mainly be for his dcc birney trolley to take passengers around town but with an outside mainline for our locos - connecting the future garage layout to this layout via a tunnel in the corner.This part of the layout pulls out from the wall fairly easily for now (to access the back portion) but when the tunnel is added, this portion will be complete and I will resort to a top side creeper for maintenance purposes. I have 21 structures to build for his town & to solidify a track plan but here's what we have for now: IMG_20140213_130721.jpgIMG_20140213_130508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting em young there! It worked for me. I was surrounded by trains when little. Mostly Marx and Lionel (and mostly not working) My older brother had a Marklin set, and on my 5th birthday (1955) I received an Athearn SF passenger set, HiFi drive loco, 4 silver side passenger cars. Get em playing partner.

Thank you, JimT. My son, Elijah (in the picture), was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 19 months old. Due to tumor damage and the evasive surgeries - his balance is really bad when not supported. They had to remove half of his cerebellum along with the attached tumor. He has trouble with hand / eye coordination - playing ball and stuff like that so I thought that this would be good for him and I to get into. He is really patient when doing tasks, has a real eye for detail and loves doing little things with his hands. 17 surgeries total, two bone marrow transplants, 6 1/2 months of chemo and 3 years of physical and speech therapy later - he's doing well and cancer free! He's turning 7 on the 25th of this month.

Your son has been through a great deal, as I am sure have you and your wife. It is good to know that he didn't give up. I am sure that this will give him an interest and life long enjoyment.

Sincerely,

Thank you for the kind message, Wombat. It's been a real struggle for sure! He was diagnosed October of 2008, I lost my job in November of 2008, We lost our 13 acre farm December of of 2008 and then my daughter was born January 2009 while we were still in the hospital with my son. We were homeless for 2 years (living with various friends and family and getting our mail at Children's Hospital). We are finally getting things back together - moved into our house in March and starting fresh. My daughter was diagnosed December of 2012 with Autism so that's a whole new set of hurdles to get over but all in all we are fortunate. So many precious kids passed from various cancers while we were in the thick of it.

gseritt

I thought I went through a lot since 2008 but you have had a much larger character building episode.

I have some extra HO scale rolling stock with knuckle couplers that wouldn't bring much on ebay but may be fun for your son to "play" with. Wouldn't matter if they got dropped, they could be stripped down for parts. They say for age 14 and up but my grandkids age 4 and 7 had fun with them. I will send them to you, no strings attached. Send me a private message with your address if this would be ok.

lasm

Thank y'all, so much, for the kind messages. I'm just thankful that we all made it out of that mess alive and now healthy! @Logandsawman, that would be absolutely Awesome!! Our mailing address is P.O. Box 279 Chelsea, Al. 35043.

The only rolling stock that we have so far is the IHC Crescent Limited cars and one Athearn blue box caboose. We have a Bachman Birney trolley on the way, we picked up a Proto E6 off of Ebay pretty cheap and we have a few of those Powell and Mason un-powered streetcars. It took me a year to gather up what we have so far. Elijah became infatuated, early on, with Mister Rogers Neighborhood and Gilligan's Island (this boy has an old soul- his favorite movie is Casablanca) - So I've been gathering up those old AHM, Revell, Con-Cor, Plasticville, Heljan, Bachmann-Jouef and Kibri Structures to make a brave attempt at a Mister Rogers Neighborhood for him. It won't be exact - I may change the position of some buildings (the firehouse and Ramsey Journal building on the back row are WAY too close together) and the roofs on some of the kitbashed ones but I'm gonna try to stick with the correct colors and location. Thank y'all again for the kind messages!!!

I've gotta give a big shout out to CJ for all of the valuable info and coming over to get me started with all of this. I really do enjoy his company and range of info! He has been a huge help and inspiration.

Gseritt, I don't have money but I have some stuff I'd happily direct your way, postage on me. PM me if you are interested and I'll make up a "therapy package", If you don't mind I'll add you to my prayers. Jim

Gseritt, I don't have money but I have some stuff I'd happily direct your way, postage on me. PM me if you are interested and I'll make up a "therapy package", If you don't mind I'll add you to my prayers. Jim

Thank you so much, Mr. JimT! That would be great!

This sounds like great occupational therapy for your son. And who knows, it may spark a focal point for your daughter as well.

I just hope you can do it faster than I did. My younger son was about the age of yours now when I started. I'm just now getting to scenery, and he'll be a high school senior next year. :p

"Here's looking at you, kid." :)

This thread makes my eyes water. I was so very lucky to have strong, healthy, smart kids. Thank the Lord for each of our blessings. Bless gseritt and his family as well. JimT

I admire the strength it must have taken to get through all you have endured. Makes me feel ridiculous for worrying about some of the stuff that I do. I pray the best for you and yours going forward.

Gseritt,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You have a strong, brave son and an incredibly strong family and group of friends. You guys have been tested as, thankfully, few are in this life.

May the sun be on your face and the wind at your back.

Brad

Back