The Easy Way???

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hello all,
I have two steam locomotives I really want to decal with my own lettering, which is Levittown & Massapequa, for those who don't know, my railroads name. Really, I have no idea at all how to remove them! I really don't want to scratch 'cause I don't have an airbrush, and spraypainting may not look to well. So, is there a way I can remove this decals without scratching?:confused:
Thanks,
Chris

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
There's a gel solution on eBay quite ofetn that I've heard really works like it says, just search "decal remover", it should come up.

RCH

Been Nothin' Since Frisco
Different manufacturers use different paint/ink for lettering, and many have even changed their paint formulation over the years, so in order to best answer the question, manufacturer and approximate age would be good information to have.

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Levittown & Massapequa
:confused: HuH! Chris what happened to Cranberry Creek Logging and Mining?
Anyway back to the topic, Ryan has raised a valid point. There are removers that will take the decal off and removers that will take the decals and also a patch of paint off with it depending the manufacturers of each.

Willis

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
As RCH, brought up: Some are not decals, but paint. I have been able to remove some painted decals with 91% alcohol, but I still usually get some other paint with it. I hate to say it, but be prepared to repaint the loco or do a heck of a lot of weathering...just in case.

Fergmiester

M.E.S.S. Maker
I've actually "scraped" the paint off with a spoon as it was neither too sharp or to blunt. I just took te edge and push/pulled it over the silk screen transfer. I did this to a Bachmann and a BLI.

Fergie

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Woops, I let this thread slip by!!! Thanks alot guys! Now that I have an airbrush I am really not to worried anymore. Thank you for the advice.
Chris

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I've redecaled 2 steamers, and I just painted over the old railroad name with spray paint. You have to look really close to tell where I painted.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.