The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Ops session tomorrow afternoon. Should have about 6 or so operators. Focusing more on delivering freight cars than just running laps.
Spent about an hour cleaning track and running a track cleaner through the tunnels. Track is so reliable, I can let trains run all night and they would still be running in the morning.
Fun.

Ops session went off just fine. Trains ran for miles and miles with no problems. Got into some deliveries to the industries as well as bringing some folks back into the hobby after a decade of being away from it.

Glad the run ran well. I imagine that you were too busy to take video, but as long as everything went alright, that's what matters.

Nice that you got people interested in the hobby also.

I installed a crossover near some industries on the layout to make switching freight in and out of a little easier. I installed the track a week ago and ordered a Digitrax DS64 with power supplies. They arrived today and I installed them on the layout then ran Tortoise machine power and push button control out to the crossover, about 25 feet away. Got the Tortoise machines synchronized then installed the push button. Those worked, then I ran wires from the Tortoise machine to the frogs to power them. To test it out, I ran a long train through the crossover, backward.

Last edited:
Hi Ken, been a while, so I needed to go back in time to read your posts.

Well done with the creek.
I'm also referring a lot to your layout construction to build mine

Well done

I have another bridge to build and install. Have to create the gap first.

First step is remove the track. This is the two lead tracks to the main yard. I have access to the yard from the other end, so the railroad won't come to a complete halt. This whole piece of work took about 1 hour. That included looking for a drill bit and another saw blade for the DeWalt saw.

Cut the benchwork away. Being careful not to cut across wires underneath.

1203152029.jpg

Cut some more wood up to build up the banks of the river bed.

1203152104.jpg

Add some wall plaster to dry over the next day.

1203152119.jpg

In the mean time, I'm thinking of how to design a low profile bridge to install.

Last edited:
This type of bridge is very common on former SP lines:

Attachments

• Bridge Kaiser 2.jpg
    Bridge Kaiser 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 262
Pushing on with this bridge construction.

I stopped by the hobby shop today and picked up the material that I would need to build the pylon supports for the bridge.
Some 1/4" square plastic stock, some 5/16" plastic tube stock.

Raw Parts.jpg

Cut it into shape and use plastic weld to put it together, then give it a concrete paint color, then set up the spacing on the bridge and weld it all together.

New Parts.jpg

Let the plastic weld set up then check how it looks

Taking Shape.jpg

Last edited:

Back