The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Finally got some time to work on the railroad again.
I found a place to create a creek that the deck girder bridge could straddle.

Cut the track away, cut away the 3/4" plywood, built a creekbed benchwork and installed it, built up the concrete support for the bridge then let it set to dry over night.

1104151939.jpg

I will have to build another few bridges for the yard leads and fiddle track then extend the creek to the front edge of the benchwork.

Last edited:
You could have those other tracks over a culvert with pipes sticking out. Save cutting away any more of the benchwork.

Excellent! "He wants a creek, he CHOPS the bench"!

I LIKE your STYLE, SIR!

CHANGE is the only constant!

Darned fine work BTW!

Here are a couple of bridges on the UP at Bena, CA, which could fit your general concept:

Bridge_Bena_2.jpg

The one above is like a kit offered by BLMA and perhaps others. The one below is more like what you're doing, though the additional approach would be interesting:

Bridge_Bena_3.jpg"

Sorry, here's the other one.

[ATTACH=full]85600[/ATTACH]

I upgraded to Windows 10 not long ago, and since then have had problems copying photos from the photo gallery here. Looks like I will need to use Photobucket from now on.

I upgraded to Windows 10 not long ago, and since then have had problems copying photos from the photo gallery here. Looks like I will need to use Photobucket from now on.

You and me both, only I was going to say "downgraded from Win7". I thought I had some pictures of an example of what I was talking about, but can't find them, and worse, hadn't uploaded them to P/bucket.

My son is a computer geek and says that Microsoft wants everyone to update to Win 10. He has set up our computers not to accept automatic updates. He believes Microsoft will be sharing information with the government if any certain key words are detected.

Don't know if it's true, but I would not put it past them.

I'll stick with Win 7.

Not wanting to derail this thread BUT - Microsoft has gotten itself in a heap of hot water over Windows 10 and "THEIR" so called "Policy" regarding it. I don't recall where I read it but a group actually "READ" the Micorsucks Policy and it contained statements saying pretty much exactly what your son believes and worse. Their policy apparently allows them to access emails and other personal and private information.

Obviously, these things are buried deep in their (I believe 40 odd page policy crup) but it is their. No one (I know of( reads that stuff and so when you click "agree" you accept the policy and THAT is what they use as a get out of jail free card.

I am with Toot'n ... installed Windows 10 on my laptop and, within an hour, re installed Windows 7.

Unfortunately I missed the cut-off while I was testing it out and the next update (which I had set to notify me first) took Win 7 off without telling me that's what it was also going to do.

Chet, even though I have automatic updates "blocked", I got a request to reschedule it (which is what they do in this instance) and forgot, the next time I booted up, they overrode that and did it anyway.

Yep. I looked at what they'd done, and it amounts to fixing the most egregious errors in Windows 8. It's still a piece of crapware. I'll use Windows 7 until Microtheft figures out a way to remove it from my computer, and then I'll go to Linux.

In the mean time, back to the D&J Railroad. The bridge and creek construction continues. I contoured the creekbed tonight with some wall plaster and will let it set up overnight. Tomorrow, I'll have to fill in were the plaster cracks then set the bridge in place temporarily. I'm having a few people over on Saturday to run trains and I really don't want them to be falling in the creek.

1105152034.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Ken. Love watching your work. Did you have time to take any video during your operating session last month??

Added some earth tone to the creek bed this morning. Will let that setup during the day while I go and run trains on the PWMRC club layout. Tonight, I'll add some detail to the creekbed then install the bridge.
In the meantime, rail traffic is getting seriously backed up on the D&J Railroad. I'll be doing a mini op session on Sunday in prep for the PWMRC op session on the 14th.

1107150647.jpg

Last edited:

Back