The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all. A cup of java will do fine.

Ray, you are not the only one who lives in "those" kind of neighborhoods. Early yesterday evening, I mowed the lawn, and not before too long, the neighbors next door to me (both sides), across the street, and down at the end of the block got out their mowers and weed trimmers too. Of course, those of us who have bags on our mowers mow on Thursday evenings, because Fridays are trash and lawn/weed trimmings pickup day. However, for most of the block to mow on same day is unusual.

Could it be the "jealous neighbor" syndrome? :confused:

Take care,

Russell

atsfmodeler said:
Could it be the "jealous neighbor" syndrome? :confused:

Take care,

Russell

Actually more like "I win!" syndrome. Neighbor across the street (very nice gentleman) works for the local school system as a maintainence worker. ie: he shovels snow in the winter and mows lawn and tends shrubs, etc. in the spring, summer, and fall. He has been known to start mowing his lawn in early March with snow still on the ground (well in some places in the shade). A couple years ago I went over while he was mowing and said, "Hey John, aren't ya s'posed to wait 'till the snow melts?" He said, "well it was getting a little high out back...." Another neighbor next door used to come home from work every day in the summer and mow either his front or his back yard. Every day! He also used to feed the birds big time. Ever try to have a garden with a couple thousand birds next door (al la Alfred Hitchcock). I had to put up screening over the garden to keep them from ripping everything to shreds. He moved, thank goodness for my garden! A couple years back my sister gave me a very nice birdfeeder so I decided to put it up and help the birds. After the cat next door had consumed most of the songbirds in the area, I got smart and took it down to protect what little wildlife still existed. Cat was well fed though..........

All in all I prefer to do my yard work down cellar. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! Finally things are slowing down a bit and I am able to think trains again. Spring Fever?? Nah! The wife just seems to find more for me to do this time of the year. It's funny that you guys are talking about mowing yards since that is what I just finished doing. And yup! My neighbor started cutting his just as I finished:D .

I did have a great layout day yesterday with a visit from CJcrescent. CJ helped me run the main power buss and 12 volt accessories feed. We also got a lot more of my new roadbed and track down. I have started ordering from 1st Place Hobbies and get my stuff in three days. Sure beats the 2 week waiting on West Coast Web stores. The prices are even better with a good inventory in stock. Check it out. http://www.1stplacehobbies.com./

Hope ya'll have a very good weekend and will get back on here soon.

Good morning ! from Indiana. :D

donuts_2.png

coffee_pot.png

Diner.png

:eek:

Tylonal for me... I just spent 5 HOURS uploading and setting or databases and installs for a members section of one of my websites, and what happens, if DOESN'T WORK! Now I'm waiting for it to delete everything, so I can start AGAIN!

rhoward said:
Actually more like "I win!" syndrome. Neighbor across the street (very nice gentleman) works for the local school system as a maintainence worker. ie: he shovels snow in the winter and mows lawn and tends shrubs, etc. in the spring, summer, and fall. He has been known to start mowing his lawn in early March with snow still on the ground (well in some places in the shade). A couple years ago I went over while he was mowing and said, "Hey John, aren't ya s'posed to wait 'till the snow melts?" He said, "well it was getting a little high out back...." Another neighbor next door used to come home from work every day in the summer and mow either his front or his back yard. Every day! He also used to feed the birds big time. Ever try to have a garden with a couple thousand birds next door (al la Alfred Hitchcock). I had to put up screening over the garden to keep them from ripping everything to shreds. He moved, thank goodness for my garden! A couple years back my sister gave me a very nice birdfeeder so I decided to put it up and help the birds. After the cat next door had consumed most of the songbirds in the area, I got smart and took it down to protect what little wildlife still existed. Cat was well fed though..........

All in all I prefer to do my yard work down cellar. :D

I'm trying to see where I fit in this neighbour picture:confused:

Some neighbours resent the fact that I'm the first to hang the christmas lights, as their kids start nagging them. My point is "if the weather is good in November and I'm "off cycle" why wait for the sub zero temps and freezing rain to do the task? It takes two days to hang the lights!

Cats feeding on birds? Strategically placed water balloons will mitigate said consumption of birds. AND NO I"M NOT ADVOCATING ANIMAL CRUELTY! I like cats just not in my backyard. and no I would never hit a cat directly with a water balloon! Proximity carpet bombing works just as effectively:D or the use of a water hose for that matter.

Cutting of grass, once a week, though I weed twice a week. And yes I pride myself with a nice lawn but it takes hard work and I resent when the neighbour tramples it down because he can't get from his front to back because of his fifth wheel being at the side of the house and he can't fit between the side of the trailer and house (Homer Simpson syndrome). There's more to this story but we'll leave it lie.

Had one neighbour tell me to stop giving his wife transplants and flowers, not because he was jealous but because he was sick of coming home after a long day and being told to dig a hole for the new arrival:rolleyes: I placated his request but only because he was 2 time eastern Canadian Tai Kwan Do Champion.

Yes I have a nice garden and yes their are those who resent it, including the neighbourhood kids who like running through the flower beds, hey but "DA" neighbour does that too. Do I do it because I'm trying to show off and better everyone? No. I just like to garden, and like a layout, if you are going to do it , do it right. I'm sure there is a pride factor in there somewhere. But I suspect there is more of a compulsivity disorder lurking in the mix and my wife would be willing to confirm that.

Working in the dirt does give me a sense of achievement and it sure beats lying around doing nutt'n and drinking beer all day!

Anyway and by the way I'm now in St John's and as you can see I got internet:D I'm putting my coaling tower back together and with lighting. I'll keep ya posted.

Later

Fergie

Fergmiester said:
I'm trying to see where I fit in this neighbour picture:confused:

Yes I have a nice garden and yes their are those who resent it, including the neighbourhood kids who like running through the flower beds, hey but "DA" neighbour does that too. Do I do it because I'm trying to show off and better everyone? No. I just like to garden, and like a layout, if you are going to do it , do it right...
Later

Fergie

Ya needa come down south and work in our yard for a while Fergie:). Looks like we gonna have another bumper crop of Kudzu this year!:D My wife and I are such poor gardeners, that we can't even grow dirt.:p

Mornin' Bill!

Fergmiester said:
Yes I have a nice garden and yes their are those who resent it, including the neighbourhood kids who like running through the flower beds, hey but "DA" neighbour does that too. Do I do it because I'm trying to show off and better everyone? No. I just like to garden, and like a layout, if you are going to do it , do it right. I'm sure there is a pride factor in there somewhere. But I suspect there is more of a compulsivity disorder lurking in the mix and my wife would be willing to confirm that.

Working in the dirt does give me a sense of achievement and it sure beats lying around doing nutt'n and drinking beer all day!
Fergie

Actually, I like to garden and it is one of my hobbies. I also wouldn't trade most of my neighbors for anyone's. I do love to yank some chains now and then though and have a lot of fun kidding a couple that are very anal about their lawns. They know me well enough to take it in good fun and barb me right back about the crop of dandelions in my lawn...... I prefer to spend my time with my vegetable garden rather than the lawn and it looks like this year I will actually get to put one in. For the last 3 years family considerations, Scout and Church camps have kept me from getting much planted. Already had two batches of asparagus and some chives from my "herb" garden. The sage survived the winter and mint and the oregano are almost big enough to be used. Please take me with a grain of salt..... ;) :D

Carey, I am an expert at growing weeds....... (Just ask my neighbors!)

Josh, I feel your pain..... I hate it when things just don't work like they are supposed to. Ain't technology fun???? I will be in charge of setting up and running a computer lab at camp for a new Science and Technology program we are running. I have never set up a Windows Lab before as all my experience has been with multiple Macs at my home office. Luckily there is a guy who sets up this stuff for a living that wants to "help"!

OK, I'm off to the basement to do some yard work! Have a great day and if it is sunny where you are (like it is here in the Finger Lakes) get out and enjoy it if you can.

Hello folk's
I'v not got the heart to do much this weekend, we have just lost a close friend to cancer, Sue's husband Ian called yesterday to tell us, poor girl didn't know anything about it, she felt ill on monday and died on wednesday, poor little Andrew there son is only 3,
anyhow got to go
i'll speak to you soon

Steve, My deepest condolances to you and to Ian and his family! Hope you are feeling better. I know this has been a bad spring for you.

Coffee Shop Version 2.0

In a few days when this thread gets to 2,000 posts I'm going to close it and start a new one. Big threads like this run a lot slower than regular ones, so we occasionally split them up to keep things running.

So don't panic when you see a new one with just a few posts.

Steve Our thoughts are with you too. Man you've had a rough couple of months!! Chin up my friend just around the corner you'll be running train again.

Ken & Jan.

Steve - hang in there my friend, life is not going very easy on you these days!:( Prayers for you and your friend, and 3yr-old Andrew...

Fergie - glad to see you've got internet out on the ocean!

Josh - I feel your pain, I've had my share of fights with computers and come out on the losing end...!

. . .
It's awfully late in my TZ, off to bed now...will be back later with pix of weekend activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a few days when this thread gets to 2,000 posts I'm going to close it and start a new one. Big threads like this run a lot slower than regular ones, so we occasionally split them up to keep things running.

So don't panic when you see a new one with just a few posts.

Doesn't seem slow to me and I use dial up but its your site so what ever I'll still come here as I don't think any of us need to go back to say post 256 or something like that . do wish thou there was a way to save first couple of pages so we could see how it all started and then say deled all the way up to about post 1800 or so

Morning all hows it going not much happening here but thought I would drop in and say hi take care see you all later

Mornin' Bill!

Bob, Thanks for the heads up on splitting the thread. I assume this thread will be saved as a sticky?

People are getting home from church in my neighborhood and I am starting to hear the Summer Sunday Hum. I guess it is time to head downstairs and get some of my own "yard work" done. Last night I ran a loco on the new section of the layout for the very first time. It was the USRA 2-6-6-2 (Bachmann) as it is my largest loco and the one most likely to pick a switch or have trouble in a curve due to its size. Ran it forward and backward through all the switches. Everything went flawlessly! I also used the DT400 radio throttle for the fist time. I have perfect reception everywhere on the layout. I love it! I'd post some photos but there doesn't seem to a thread this weekend......?

Last night I about came out and the winning, or wait, "all hope lost" end. I freeze up with two programs running sometimes now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back