The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks CJcrescent, NZRMac Ken, Steve B, Rex, and CSX_road_slug Ken for the welcomes. It feels great to breathe in fresh air that was long gone from the "other" forum.

Is anyone here running their layout operational style?

Russell

Hello everyone,
Well it yesterday it snowed for an hour and put 4" down then froz solid overnight, today was a gorgeous sunny day and it melted everything except in the shadows. I started building the 4"x2" partition walls in the extension today, should be done in a few more days.
Tried Skyping everyone but everyone's off line, it's 10pm GMT here, i'll be up till 11.30 GMT if anyone fancys a chat.

This is a great video clip taken today of a steam excursion in Lancashire, there's two loco's on the point in fantastic sun and snow http://www.burgess57.freeserve.co.uk/1Z77.WMV this is taken from the web site below where there more shot's from the last two days
http://www.burgess57.freeserve.co.uk/latest.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken This is my old layout with the backdrop painted in a similar way you did your's, i think i used three basic colours, and another to do the highlight's
Russell a bit of SF for you
97301857.gif

Hi all and welcome to the new members of the coffee shop . It seems calm for the time being across the street in the othere coffee shop . Think we are starting to get fergie and luc to calm down not sure what it was all about but I did deliver 2 missile launnching cars to luc fully loaded lol.

Notmuch happening here . CFO and I are looking into 1 me changing jobs and get one around newport news, VA. and 2 moving there. Okay heres the thinking behind it she doen/''t drive and can't because of her depth perception but isn't classified as blind either so where in a catch 22 with that 2nd If I end up in hospital again it would be in Newport News, Va. about 50 miles away so if we lived there she could get to where I am at. 3rd I think its about time to move on as my boss isn't getting any younger and not sure if family would have place for me when he passes on as not sure if they will keep trailor park and farm after hes gone they basicly keep it now as it gives him something to do as they can't really substain there selves without help from the company (I believeanyway) as the company not the farm or trailor park pays my co worker and I our salaries. And he's now 95 years young and I need to look out for what I feel is best for the CFO and I. SO I guess this place will go up for sale and we will start looking for a place down there.

So you can see what I've been working on all day.

Good evening gang!

Finished painting the 'forests' onto my foam backdrops this morning, got them back on the layout. I'll be posting a pic of the finished backdrop at East Minister in the Iron Belt thread later tonight. Steve, your backdrop is really nice-looking, thanx for posting it - mine's not quite as elaborate as yours.

I'm ready to begin assembling my New River kit, but I want it to be an "industrial green" color instead of the default light gray. What I thought would be a 30-minute round trip to Wally World ended up taking me on a wild goose chase the entire afternoon!:rolleyes: Oh well, at least I now have the paint I need...

atsfmodeler said:
Is anyone here running their layout operational style?
Russell - I received the Kalmbach book Realistic Model Railroad Operation [by Tony Koester] as a Christmas gift, and that's already given me lots of ideas. Have you read it yet? If not, I strongly recommend it!

Well I promised my 7yr-old I'd watch a DVD with her since her siblings ran off where she couldn't follow, so I'll catch you all later...

[LATER EDIT] - Hi RT, I musta just missed you. A job in Newport News huh? Good luck with that, hope it works out for you!

RT whichever route you decide to take in life i hope it work's out for you and mrs RT. there arn't many people with a 95 yr old boss.

Good Morning All

Ken: To answer your question. Yes I'm back at work. And I've been assigned for another year to the "Terry Fox" as Chief Officer:(

aik.sized.jpg

Right now we're alongside replacing the fire suppression system and preparing for refit.

So as it stands I'm up at 5am to turn to for six and then I'm on my way home at 18 hrs so it makes for a very long day. Spent all day yesterday on the deck supervising the derigging of the 40 tonne crane. The wire fouled last month and was left for us to fix :mad: !@&*$%:mad: The only way to de-rig it was to cut the wire into 20' lengths. The good thing was the wire was scheduled to be replaced this year anyway. I'm home today and tomorrow as We're off to the home show to find a contractor and tomorrow to take Dad for more appointments.

Later All

Fergie

Good Morning All:

I had some time this morning so I thought I'd drop in and say Hi. This forum is a lot easier to keep up with then the other one as it doesn't move as fast and a lot of the other guys are here. I just got one of my 2-10-2's painted and decodered so it quells my desire to go out and buy one of the new plastic ones.

REX:
I put a tsunami in there and it sure does sound good - I think I might do a Balboa ATSF 2-6-2 and a United ATSF 2-8-2 next. I've got three more tsunamis and I can't decided where to put them.

Fergie:
I talked to Fred at Loy's Friday and turned in an order for two more decoders so they're going to ship yours and mine together.

Ya'll have a blessed day
Bob

Hello,
fergie hope the re-fit goes well, say hello to dad.
Teffy great to see you back again Bob, you'll have to get Skype.

Hi gang, hope you have had a good weekend. I have been busy with some early Spring honey-do's plus house guests for the weekend. (Glad they are gone...shhhh!:D

WELCOME BILL!

Teffy: Hiya Bob! Glad you came by. I am glad to hear you like the Tsunami sounds. Suggestion on the other three: put them in anything ya' got...it will be great. Gaa-won-teed! :D

Fergie: The "Terry Fox" is beautiful. I know you must be proud to be a part of her. From the wake in the picture, it looks like she may have that new type of forward and aft propulsion that will turn her on a dime. ????

KenL/Steve: Both of you guys have a great idea for the backdrops. I have some very large areas that your methods will work good in.

CJ: Talk at you soon.

RexHea said:
Fergie: The "Terry Fox" is beautiful. I know you must be proud to be a part of her. From the wake in the picture, it looks like she may have that new type of forward and aft propulsion that will turn her on a dime. ????

The Fox, though more manouvrable than most commercial ships is a bit of a pig compared to some of our other vessels. She has twin variable props that puts out about 28,000 HP. Her bow is a Meyer form bow with no Fore Thrusters just a three section bubbler system port and starboard. Though the bubblers can generate nominal thwartship thrust the system is primarily used to assist the ship cut ice as the air acts as a lubricant. The only time the bubbler provides any signifigant thrust is when the vessel is within 15 feet of the dock.

Tomorrows lesson will be on nuclear propulsion:eek: NOT!

Later All

Fergie

Ken there's a BOF made by Trix or marklin i think it was but for $323 they can keep it, i'll scratch build one

Good evening gang,

Haven't been online much the past couple days because I've been painting and assembling my New River kit. Wouldn't you know it, I spaced the tracks too close together and the latex paint glued them securely to the sub-roadbed, loosening them for repositioning was a bear - glad I hadn't applied the ballast yet!

Fergie - Hope everything works out OK as far as taking care of your Dad while you're at sea.

Rex - About the houseguests: I feel your pain!:p

Steve B said:
Ken there's a BOF made by Trix or marklin i think it was but for $323 they can keep it, i'll scratch build one

Steve - I fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw that TRIX 'converter' kit - there is no ductwork to evacuate the hot gases [flames]!:rolleyes: Wouldn't be much left of the roof (or the building itself for that matter) after the first blow...

Well I have to run, time to pickup daughter #2 from her art lesson - C'ya!

Hello all, i got a new task today at work, i have to form a rapid reaction team to combat flood's caused by sprinkler failures, we had one on Friday which resulted in 700 sqr meter's or about 800 sqr yards of the warehouse flooded, the best bit was two hours earlier i told the managers we were not prepared and were ill equiped to deal with a flood and what do you know we got a flood,,,amazing,
Well it's back to the wet weather again, last week we got 4 day's of blue sky's then two days of snow now were back to the wind and rain for a change
Ken L i thought it looked odd, i didn't notice the ductwork error

I got two DVD's today from a friend in Illinois, they contain all kinds of steam and diesel loco's around the USA, DVD1 contains Santa Fe 3751, Milwaukee road 261, UP 3985, Tehachapi pass in 1994 , and other misc trains from northern Illinois
DVD 2 contains UP 844, Mojave desert in may 1994, N&W 1218, Donner pass in may 2004 and UP 3985
this is a link to John's web site if you fancy a DVD, just e mail him for a price http://www.railroad-crossing.com

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum lately, weather has been warm so I've been working in the yard, and doing some......well a lot of "Honey Do's". I even got to work on the layout some today. Better go, work comes early.

Take care

Stan.

Hi Gang! Where have all the customers gone? Everyone must be getting Spring fever (sorry Fergie,:D ) Stan, I know what you mean about the honey-do's. Just as soon as our weather starts to warm, the boss lady gets her whip out.:D

Steve: The swimming party at work doesn't sound like much fun. I would bet that your managers want to forget about your warning. I remember when I was in industry and we had a forklift hit just two sprinkler heads in the receiving warehouse. Man-oh-man was the front office ever p'd off.:eek:

I must confess that I have been stumbling around trying to figure my signal wiring for the layout and haven't done a whole lot more other than build benchwork for the extension. Goes to show that we can do too much thinking and not enough doing.:eek:

Of course, procrastination wouldn't have anything to do with it:D :D

Hello everyone
Rex my warning to them pre flood has gone right to the top of the managment tree somehow, they won't be allowed to forget this one.
nothing new on the railroad front, the hospital have not called yet so i guess i'm noy going in yet, oh well. Went to my dad's today and he's been having waterworks trouble just like his 72yr old brother, but his brother was diagnosed with cancer today so he's very unhappy at the thought of what he's got, dad's side of the familly won't go to the Doc's unless it's serious, you have to litterally drag them there, i just hope it's not to late to do anything.

Hi crew,

Just a brief update. I've been working on my New River kit since Saturday - the last of the 'major' structures being installed - and for the most part it's done. But unfortunately I discovered that the tracks on my mine spur were spaced too close together, and the latex coating I gave them acted like glue - it cemented the ties to the styrofoam even though I wasn't intending to permanently attach them yet! I was able to loosen them by forcing a thin ruler underneath the ties. It was an excruciating, time-consuming process, and the styrofoam sub-roadbed was chewed up pretty bad, but [from what I can see anyway] the track itself is still OK and I can now center each pair of rails beneath its corresponding coal spout. I'm waiting until I patch/repaint the damaged styrofoam before posting any pics of this thing, though.

Steve - Sorry to hear that the hospital is keeping you waiting, I'm sure you want to get this awful thing over with as quickly as possible. Condolences to your uncle about his cancer diagnosis:( .

Rex - Don't feel bad, I procrastinated over 4 years before I started actually building my current layout!:eek:

Ken L i, things have been better. I use a big long thin bladed bread knife to slide under glued down track and it work's pretty good, hope you get it sorted out OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back