The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CSX_road_slug said:
Fergie - you got my attention with your 100%-mechanical turnout control apparatus. I'm glad I'm not the only modeler in the universe who doesn't have a bunch of turtles hiding under his yards! When the day comes for me to finish the work on my own turnouts, I'll be skyping you for some serious brain-pickin' on that subject...

TTFN

Engineering?!?:eek: You Mean "Good God Captain She canna take much more of this, You'll blow us all up" type engineering? Yah that would be the kind:eek:

Called the LHS yesterday and they are hoping to get more rods in today so I've asked for 6 to be put aside. Looking under the table again last night and looking at one of two other turnouts that are in the vicinity but have already been rigged with a Peco switch machine and saying... It's gotta go and I'm replacing it with a rod assembly:eek: Yes you heard right! I can't say enough about these little gems as it is simple and better yet fool proof. I'm also looking at replacing others as well.

Well not much on the go except I'm back to work today and look forawrd to the regime of shipboard life once again, though we'll be alongside and doing pre-arctic storing and prep. Thought the thought of waking up at 5am really doesn't appeal to me.

Oh and REX!: re your "I was sitting on the deck today in 72 degrees...." Have you been told today??!!?? It's the 2nd of March and it's a balmy 12F. I'll be down after work!

Well that's it

Later all

Fergie

Last edited by a moderator:
Fergmiester said:
Engineering?!?:eek: You Mean "Good God Captain She canna take much more of this, You'll blow us all up" type engineering? Yah that would be the kind:eek:

Oh and REX!: re your "I was sitting on the deck today in 72 degrees...." Have you been told today??!!?? It's the 2nd of March and it's a balmy 12F. I'll be down after work!

Fergie

I really like that control you got set up there Fergie! Reminds me of the setup that Gordon Odegard had in MR in the 70's or early 80's. His was a straight connection though, also used just a SPDT switch (Single Pole Double Throw)to activate his. One wire went to one stock rail, one went to the other stock rail, and one went to the "frog rail". Very simple setup, and gave positive continuity thru the point rails as well. (SEE ATTACHED) With the # of turnouts planned for the Al. Central, I need something like this. Haven't even thought about using a bellcrank or similar item for hooking it up in odd situations though, gotta try it.

Oh, while Rex was enjoying his 72F temperature, I reveled in my 76F. Even getting my bass boat ready for fishing! Just installed a new Trolling Motor, found it cheap on closeout, and hopefully will put it in the water for a "test" before this weekend, when its supposed to get to freezing again.

Hello everyone,
Fergie the turnout control's look fantastic, i take my hat off to you;) .
Ericslow down or you will get indigestion, do you fancy getting Skype, it's great fun
CareyHope you get the jaw bone fixed up soon, man that sound bad. tried to Skypeee you but you were not on line, i'll try again soon. just a thought on feedback, if you have speakers on the PC the sound creates feedback at the other end which is very confusing as you hear yourself talking back to you, i got a cheap set of walkman ear phones and it makes feedback at the other end non exsistant.

Went to see the consultant tonight and he confirmed that i require surgery soon, i have a great dollop of diseased tissue in the sinus area under the right eye that want's excavating out, and just to make sure i get a BIG headache when i wake up he's going to do some magic to thicken the membrane between the brain cavity and sinus cavity, he showed me the scan pictures and apparently it's only as thick as a piece of paper so i am banned from sneezing and blowing my nose in case i blow my brains out my ears:eek: , that would be bad i recon. He's going to try and get it done next week if he can convince the good old national health service, on the bright side i get at least 3 week's of work:D

Steve B said:
Hello everyone,
Fergie the turnout control's look fantastic, i take my hat off to you;) .
Ericslow down or you will get indigestion, do you fancy getting Skype, it's great fun
CareyHope you get the jaw bone fixed up soon, man that sound bad. tried to Skypeee you but you were not on line, i'll try again soon. just a thought on feedback, if you have speakers on the PC the sound creates feedback at the other end which is very confusing as you hear yourself talking back to you, i got a cheap set of walkman ear phones and it makes feedback at the other end non exsistant.

Went to see the consultant tonight and he confirmed that i require surgery soon, i have a great dollop of diseased tissue in the sinus area under the right eye that want's excavating out, and just to make sure i get a BIG headache when i wake up he's going to do some magic to thicken the membrane between the brain cavity and sinus cavity, he showed me the scan pictures and apparently it's only as thick as a piece of paper so i am banned from sneezing and blowing my nose in case i blow my brains out my ears:eek: , that would be bad i recon. He's going to try and get it done next week if he can convince the good old national health service, on the bright side i get at least 3 week's of work:D

OHHHH that makes my eyes water just thinking about it. You don't want what I've got Steve, cough cold runny nose sneezing Yuck, I had two and a half days at work but I'm home again.
and off to bed I think.

Ken.

Cjcrescent said:
Oh, while Rex was enjoying his 72F temperature, I reveled in my 76F. Even getting my bass boat ready for fishing! Just installed a new Trolling Motor, found it cheap on closeout, and hopefully will put it in the water for a "test" before this weekend, when its supposed to get to freezing again.

Well boys it's like this. In a few months I'll be enjoying the 72 or 76 whatevers while you're all melting in the 100's! Better yet while you're fishing for your "goldfish" I'll be setting the hooks into my Arctic Char, a real man's FISH:D

Yee Haa!!!!

Hi all been a while scince I've stopped in mainly because not much has been happing . I was 100 post back when left off last back around mid Feb. sorry but haven't been posting much anywhere lately just been out of it .

Will tal to you all again soon

Hello everybody,

Newbie here to this forum, and I like what I see so far. I've been posting for a long time on another forum, but don't like the direction it's going. My name is Russell, and my wife and I reside in the Kansas City area. I model the Santa Fe circa 1955. I'd like to hear from other fellow Santa Fe modelers (and modelers of other roads too :D ).

Russell

atsfmodeler said:
Hello everybody,

Newbie here to this forum, and I like what I see so far. I've been posting for a long time on another forum, but don't like the direction it's going. My name is Russell, and my wife and I reside in the Kansas City area. I model the Santa Fe circa 1955. I'd like to hear from other fellow Santa Fe modelers (and modelers of other roads too :D ).

Russell

Hey Russel, welcome to the forum. We (my son and I) model some ATSF but mostly D&RGW. You picked a COOL road to model.:cool:

Have ya'll ever had "one of those days"? You know the kind where you wake up feeling trashed but went to bed feeling fine. Add to that a long day at work on this...
131558531.gif

Oil pump change on a 731 turbofan engine. :rolleyes: Gee, I'm glad to be home...:)

Ya'll have a great night!

Fergmiester said:
Well boys it's like this. In a few months I'll be enjoying the 72 or 76 whatevers while you're all melting in the 100's! Better yet while you're fishing for your "goldfish" I'll be setting the hooks into my Arctic Char, a real man's FISH:D

Yee Haa!!!!
Fergie, 100's??????? We haven't broke 100 here in B'ham in over 5 years!

I don't know about the char, but we have a couple of fish down here that would rival a char I would think. One is the flathead catfish. 50 pounds is a small one, the other is an alligator gar. Its a specie of gar where the head and snout looks like a gator. Short and wide with just as many teeth. The guys who fish for these regularly throw back the small'uns. Those are about 85-100 pounds. They catch'em on salt water tackle, using half of a chicken for bait.:eek: BTW, ever hear of noodlin' ??;);)

Russell, I thought your handle was familiar! Welcome to the "good side". Things are a lot more civil here than elsewhere. So since you are the newbie here, the next round's on you!!!:D:D:D

Steve, I know about the PC speaker/feedback. Trouble is, I have even turned my speakers totally off, and used the headset, and there still is an "echo", but its always on the other end. I haven't had one yet:confused::confused::confused::confused:.

Steve; forgot to mention that I hope you do well with the surgery and they get that straightened out without any complications. Trust me when I say , been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and it was too small.

grande man said:
Hey Russel, welcome to the forum. We (my son and I) model some ATSF but mostly D&RGW. You picked a COOL road to model.:cool:

Have ya'll ever had "one of those days"? You know the kind where you wake up feeling trashed but went to bed feeling fine. Add to that a long day at work on this...
131558531.gif

Oil pump change on a 731 turbofan engine. :rolleyes: Gee, I'm glad to be home...:)

Ya'll have a great night!

Thanks for the welcome Grande Man. That plane engine would be more than I could handle. I like the D&RGW myself. I used to have some RG locomotives and cars (younger and single days when I had disposible income). The multiple stripes on some of the Rio Grande F7's were cool.

Russell

Welcome along Russell, don't stand too close I've a terrible cold.
Nice to have you on this side of the tracks, this is a great forum, no flaming.

I'm starting a freelance RR myself, using N&W which one day I may rename North West. They run on my RR the Midland Line hauling coal and passengers it's a rough version of my local prototype. I also have some Southern Pacific because that's where New Zealand is!!

Ken.

Hi Everyone,
Russell Welcome aboard,,, i model, (or i will be soon) the BN with Santa Fe track right's on my free lance layout, A few of us are trying our hand at Skype, it's an internet telephone type of thing, upi download a program and do a test call and that's it,,,free worldwide calls to friends on-line, you just need a mike and speakers or headphones and you are up and running.
good to have you over this side of the street, there have been some nasty fight's over there.
well it's finally SNOWING and boy it's laying it on thick, little Gemma has never seen it before and she is glue'd to the window with excitement.
Later

Hi Russell! Glad to have made it over and welcome aboard.

Gman: That doesn't look like any loco engine that I have ever seen.:confused: Must be a special design for the D&RGW:D

Steve: Sorry for all your misery, but hopefully your surgery will take care of it all and you will live in comfort again. Snow? I just about have forgotten what it looks like. Have fun with it and Gemma.

CJ: Yeah, you don't hear the echo 'cause you are sending it. Try backing off on the mic gain and it may help get rid of it...or try a different mic head set.

Fergie: You make a good point about the temperatures. I would trade my humidity for your cold :D.

RT: Glad your back.

Hi gang,

I see we've gained a few more members - WELCOME atsfmodeler (Russell) and Bill T. As the others have said, this is a much more civil place than certain other forums [which shall remain unnamed...:rolleyes: ]

Steve - My family and I will keep you in our prayers as you head into that surgery:eek: . Glad little Gemma is enjoying the snow - wonder if she'll still feel that way 30 years from now?

Fergie - I was looking for you on Skype early this morning (5:30am EST), but you weren't there - have you gone back out to sea already?

KeNZ - hope you recover quickly from that cold.

. . .
I've been working on my foam backdrops over the last couple of days, this gave me chance to practice one of my other former hobbies - 'oil' painting [except I'm working with acrylic paints]. I can't claim credit for this idea, a guy named 'cheese3' from across the street showed pics of this on his layout. Very simple stuff really, just throwing down a base coat of black and sponging-on splotches of green. Since it's in the background hopefully nobody will notice the imperfections...:D

Here are some step-by-step photos I shot of a sample chunk of foam (the full-sized boards are too large to fit in a small photo-staging area):

1st, The paints and tools;
2nd, the initial undercoat of flat black for the shaded areas;
3rd, large splotches of medium green;
4th, sporadic sprinkles of light green

I'll try to get some photos of the actual backdrops installed on the layout later this weekend. Hope to talk with some of you skypers if I get a chance!

Ken, that looks REAL good! Looks like a great technique that I otta try. Looks very reminisent (sp) of Bob Ross's painting techniques.

Rex, OK I've lowered the gain of the mic, now iffin someone will skype me we can test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back