The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
grande man said:
(note to self, go get the cholesterol rechecked :D).
Nada problem Eric, that's what Lipitor is for! :p :D

RexHea said:
Jeff: Good idea with the insulation. I need to do something to mine, but if I tried your method, I would sure as H need to open it. Don't they make something for these doors where you can still open them? If so, where would I find it and how much?
Rex, I'm thinking of buying several 4'x8' sheets of 2"-thick extruded foam [the same stuff I used as sub-roadbed and scenery] and just lay them flush against my garage doors. I haven't done it yet because I've been told that most heat loss occurs vertically thru the ceiling and roof, which I've insulated thoroughly. So far my garage has always been at a comfortable temperature.

Rex, you might try and use the expanded foam for it's actual intended purpose - insulation. Just stack the sheets with the door panels instead of across them.

Ceiling insulation is my next task... I'm gonna have to cut into the thing to blow in the insulation.

Flo, I got time for one more round and a six-pack (Pepsi) to go.
Ken/Jeff: You mean you can use extruded foam for insulation. Go figure! :D:D My problem will be finding 2" thickness down here in the South. Looking at your idea further, it wouldn't be hard at all to cut the foam where it leaves the pivot points unobstructed. Do you think Liquid Nails would be good to hold it?
I need to do something, considering the forcasted cost for natural gas this year. I have my garage ceiling insulated which really makes a difference, but on cold days the doors feel like ice.

Got the wife greeting all the ':eek:trick or treaters:eek:'. Sure have a lot of them coming by this year. Why am I not helping her? Uhh, I got important things to do.:rolleyes:

Lady_Railfan said:
Everything is picked over, and they didn't have HO. They've even moved the Dremel items out to the other store. About all that's left is LOTS of silk flowers, sewing notions and picture framing materials.
Looks like I just go to Reeds then, once again... I love that place...

Rex there is a liquid nails for projects that works for the blue/pink foam. I used a blue colored tube/tubes when I built my benchwork of pink foam. It was not the liquid nails brand but I think P/L or somethin like that.

Last edited:
TrainboyH16-44 said:
Got a pic rejected from rp.net, for bad lughting, but what do you think?
I don't know what THEIR definition of "bad lighting" is but I think it looks pretty darn good! :confused:

If it is simply "too dark" it can always be brightened with Photoshop or a compatible graphic image editor. Did they give you any ideas for re-submission?

Hi Flo! Where is everyone? Sure got my choice of tables. Oh well, big cup of coffee now and fix me up with scrambled eggs and a big biscuit covered in some of that gooood sausage gravy. Umm Yum!

We finally got a little rain today. It is the first since hurricane Rita slung some over here. Everything was brittle dry until today.

Matthew:That is some beautiful scenery. In all my travels, I have never actually seen anything like that. The photo looks very good to me. If it is too dark...it ain't much. The mountains look perfect and I don't have any idea how you would lighten the foreground without ruining their looks. The brightness of the mountains and sky may have tricked your camera. Guess we need an opinion from one of our photo experts (certainly not me). I am curious as to how you would take a shot like that and lighten the foreground only without the use of computer enhancement.

Larry: Thanks for the info. I will look and see if I can find what you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
CPlocos.jpg

If there is no image, click on the following link:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/dgwinup/CPlocos.jpg

Is that any better?

MS Photoshop.

Darrell, quiet...for now

Rex the message about the liquid foam should have read liquid nails for projects. These kinds of mistakes always happen to me when I am in a hurry to get out the door

I think you guys have the right idea concerning messing with the brightness and contrast, but unfortunately that washes out the photo and makes the mountains blend in with the sky.

I selected just the foreground (actually everything except the sky and mountains) and lightened it a bit. Then I actually went back and selected the sky and mountains and darkened them a little, and added just a but more contrast.

You can see evidence of my quick/lazy selection above the trees on the left (the sky is lighter/darker in some areas between branches) because I didn't take the time to pick out all the individual pieces, but I hope if gives you the basic idea.

BTW, the original is on the left (since it will soon dissapear from the rp.net site) and the adjusted is on the right.

Disclaimer: Nate is in no way a professional photographer and lacks the amount of Photoshop experience many others on this forum have. Please feel free to correct him should he run astray in any manner. That said, if the picture looks good, it's his doing. If the picture looks bad, blame it on his fading monitor. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Here they are full size for the sake of a side-by-side (top-by-bottom?) comparison:
attachment.php

attachment.php

EDIT EDIT: Or maybe not...I guess I can't parse a picture from this server??

Good Evening guys,

Nate, you must have the most faded monitor, period. :p

All Kidding aside, that is a great picture Matthew. I think that has a good chance of making it onto railpictures. As an RP.net submitter (I somehow got six photos onto that site ), I'd consider rotating it to the right a bit, then brightening it up. After you do that, I think that shot can make it on. :)

As a side note, I made it through the dangerous task of handing out candy while keeping the level of carnage and destruction to a minimum, and this year there was no need to call the National Guard. :D Better yet, Pittsburgh won last night, so the month is off to a good start.

We lucked out this year as far as the TOT Trolls are concerned --- had almost half a bag of Price Club miniatures left over! That should hold us 'til Christmas. :D Costumes were strange this year. It's a little alarming to see so many four-year-old girls dressed up like "ladies of the evening. :eek: We see few kids from our immediate neighborhood --- nobody around here but us old geezers and families with teenagers --- but little kids come in carloads from the nearby "younger family" neighborhoods.

Josh, I'm shingling the roof of The Hotel now. Once that's done I'm heading for Reed's, too. I'm overdue for new toys. Haven't been down there for over a year, although Mike made a housecall to install the battery power for my loco.

ssw9662 said:
Nate, you must have the most faded monitor, period. :p
Are the adjustments really that far off? I honestly can't tell on this screen (laptop) anymore. I have to go downstairs to the other computer to get a 'real' look at things. May be the last Dell I buy...

Nate, you did good and there is nothing wrong with your Dell (or mine):D.

Here is a before and after of my fooling around in Paint Shop Pro. It has adjustments for shadows, midtone, and highlights.

Lady_Railfan said:
Josh, I'm shingling the roof of The Hotel now. Once that's done I'm heading for Reed's, too. I'm overdue for new toys. Haven't been down there for over a year, although Mike made a housecall to install the battery power for my loco.
Sounds nice! I dunno what day I'll get there, i'm gone the next 2 weekends. Maybe sometime during the week.

sushob said:
Are the adjustments really that far off? I honestly can't tell on this screen (laptop) anymore. I have to go downstairs to the other computer to get a 'real' look at things. May be the last Dell I buy...

It's good, I was just joking around. ;)

Matthew, how's this? I cropped it, rotated it, and brightened it up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back