The Canadian Confederation Train

CP9302

I have finally begun work on a model of the Canadian Confederation train. I am building this train for my Dad who remembers seeing the train as a child. Being born 10 years after it ran in 1967, I had never seen pictures of the train until recently. ORO Decals has released several decal sets that allow the whole train to be modelled. The best source I've found so far for photos of the train is the ORO web site. If you are interested in seeing what the train looked like before I finish my models please check out www.orodecals.com.

The train was pulled by to FP9A's. One supplied by Canadian Pacific and the other by Canadian National. (Canada's to major rail lines)
Confederation 1867 (CPR 1411) lead the train with 1967 (CNR 6509) trailing.

I am building the FP9A's from Highliner F-Unit kits on Athearn Genesis drives. 1867 will have a sound decoder and 1967 will not.

Photo 1:
This photo shows all the parts in the Highliner kit. There are lots of them, enough to build any F-Unit from F2's up to F9's. Unfortunately, it only builds American F-Units, so some alterations are inorder to make a Canadian FP9.

Photo 2 and 3:
This is the shell for 1867. It is almost done. There is no correct window/vent panel for a Canadian FP9, so I had to fill in the screens and add louvers to the panels with the correct window placement. I still need to do some work on the roof details, but otherwise the shell is ready for primer. You may be wondering why I have the "farr" grills on already: that is because they are painted on the confederation engines.

I hope to get more done on these units soon.

Is the kit a true prototype length FP9? The FP9's were 4 feet longer than F9's to house the water tank for steam generator for passenger car heat. That would mean that the FP9 shell in the kit should be .55" longer than an FP9 shell if made to true protype length.

I'm going to assume its not the 4' longer FP9, but I'm sure he knows that also. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

What are you going to do for the lettering? I sort of half started doing these many years ago, using Atlas FP9's. Got the winterization duct scratched for one, but the idea of doing the large 1867/1967 numbers on the sides of the models left me wondering, so I never did complete the set. I originally thought of using large stick on numbers used to make signs as masking templates, but they were way too heavy and would not have conformed to the contours of the model.

I have ordered an FP9 shell from Central Hobbies in Vancouver, BC, as well as an Atlas GP38 early model, which is the same drive unit used for FP9's by emd. I will have to add a few features to make a copy of ex Via FP9 6516 (and 6505 after 6516 is completed), and add the new paint scheme for these units which now run on the Conway Scenic RR in North Conway, New Hampshire. The kits are being shipped out Friday, so next week the kitbashing begins!!!

Cool! Thats going to be a very unique model. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks for posting the link to Oro decals... they have Seattle & North Coast 50' boxcar decal sets, which I've been looking everywhere for!

Chris

Is the kit a true prototype length FP9? The FP9's were 4 feet longer than F9's to house the water tank for steam generator for passenger car heat. That would mean that the FP9 shell in the kit should be .55" longer than an FP9 shell if made to true protype length.

The Highliners kit is not the correct length for the FP9 or any FP unit for that matter. (Thats probably why Athearn has not done this model yet)

I was not aware that the FP9 was longer until my Intermountain FP7 arrived and I noticed it was longer than the F9s I was building. I'm just going to continue with the F9s and not worry about the 4'. The passenger cars are not exact either, but it should all look good together anyway.

I have started work on two of the display cars as some of the undecs I ordered from Rapido have arrived. I will try to get some pictures of them up here soon.

What are you going to do for the lettering? I sort of half started doing these many years ago, using Atlas FP9's. Got the winterization duct scratched for one, but the idea of doing the large 1867/1967 numbers on the sides of the models left me wondering, so I never did complete the set. I originally thought of using large stick on numbers used to make signs as masking templates, but they were way too heavy and would not have conformed to the contours of the model.

ORO Decals makes all the decals needed for this train. And many other unique sets. There is a link to their web site at the top of this thread

I've been busy redoing my spare room. Unfortunately, it is not a train room. But I have made a little progress on the Confederation Train project.

I have the first two display cars ready for the paint booth. They are undec Rapido Lightweight Coaches that I filled the windows on.

Here is a picture of one of them waiting to be painted.

I finnished the two display cars I was working on and started painting the first FP9 #1867. I now have to wait for the rest of the display cars to arrive from Rapido. Until then I have the other FP9 to work on and I'm going to start kit bashing a box car into the steam generator car that was behind the engines. I'm also ordering two baggage cars for the train.

Pic one is 1867's paint so far

Pic two is the display cars CPR 2266 on top and CPR 2258 below

I started work on the Steam Generator Boxcar that was directly behind the engines on the train. It was provided by CN and origially numbered 15463.
I started this project with an Athearn 50' boxcar that I sanded as much detail off of as I could using a hand held palm sander. I couldn't get the door detail off as much as I wanted, so I cut the doors off. I covered the boxcar with sheet styrene and then detailed it using spare parts I had from other projects.
I started the painting process and hope to have it done soon. The first FP9 is also almost ready for decals.

The first picture shows the original box car, the sanded box car and the covering process.
The second picture is of the completed steam generator car ready to be primed and painted.

Excellent! The Rapido car paint job is superb! Is this a decal?
Should there be a "Terre des Hommes / Man and is world" theme too?

Fabulous modeling. Can't wait to see more.

I finnished painting, decalling and detailing the Lead FP9 1867 and the steam generator car this week. I also started work on the Electrical Generator car (a converted baggage express car), the baggage car and the second FP9 1967.

The Electrical Generator and Baggage cars are ConCor models that I am modifying.

The FP9 1967 is a Highliner shell (too short for an FP9 but oh-well) with some kit bashing done. The 1967 is a CN FP9, so it needs more work done to it than the CP leader. I have to add grab irons up the side of the nose and on top of the nose as well as above the front windows. I also have to build a large winterization hatch over the two rear fans.

Back