The Canadian Confederation Train

Confederation Train

I worked on the Confederation Train in 1967 for the 11.5months, in 1967.I have around 100 slides taken of the train that year. The photos of the two finished model cars brought back some great memories of that trip. Look forward to seeing the finished project. Should you have difficulty getting the Exhibit Car designs[6] The slides I have might help you out.Regards. MAH>

Thanks Westpark. If there is any way I can get copies of your slides or if you could scan them and e-mail the shots I would greatly appreciate it. There is not much photographic info available about this train. All the photos I have came from the ORO Decals web site, they also made the decal sets to do this train.

If you'd like to see more photos of my model try the link below. It is most of the train. I have yet to do the "Confederation" Electrical Generator car and have to do another sleeper and the dinning car.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5323

The baggage car kit from Norwest Kits and Castings arrived mid january and I've slowly been working on the car since then.
The kit is resin castings with a few metal details thrown in. The castings ranged from lite to medium flash and were not very hard to work with. The toughest part was getting the roof to fit. The kit comes with a huge (30 pages) instruction manual with very clear instructions, tips and photos to help build the car. The details provided allow for many versions of the car to be made at any level of detail. (The electrical generator version I'm doing was not included) My only major complaint about the kit is the cast resin trucks. They require alot of cleaning and fiddling to get them to work. I think I'll buy after market trucks next time. (maybe from Rapido)

Here's some shots of my progress so far.
1. the kit and all its parts
2. the Resin truck castings and a completed truck. It took me almost an entire hockey game to build one truck!
3. the completed model ready for paint

Hi Fred,

Looking good! That's a very interesting car. I would have to agree with you on the trucks. I have never built one but by the looks of it, I think you could get the same detail from cast trucks without having to do half the work. But I do know a few who swear by those things.

I'm diggin your progress,

Johnny

Pic 1: It's been a long while since I updated this. And almost as long since I finished the baggage/generator car! I had this car painted and running way back in february for the local train show, but didn't finish the small details like grab irons and steps until about two months ago. So, here at last, is a pic of the finished baggage/generator car.

Pic 2: I also added some detail to the steam generator car's ends based on photos MLW provided earlier in this thread.

I still need to do one more "sleeper car" and the dining car. If rapido comes out with the dining car I need, I will build the last two cars, but until then, This project is done.

Rapido does have a diner coming, IIRC.

So far they only have a Cafe/Bar/Lounge which is not the right car. I have not seen an announcement for a plain dinning car yet. I hope they do one down the road. I am excited to get some baggage cars though! They are great for work trains.

Dumb question time: what is IIRC?

Back