The Canadian Confederation Train

Simply mind-boggling. Awesome work!!:eek:
Thanks for the updates and thanks for the pics
Can't wait to see more.:)

Some pics you may find interesting...or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great pics MLW. I'm going to have to do a little more work on my steam generator now. I think Walthers makes those trucks.

No, no, no! I didn't mean it like that! Your steam generator car is above and beyond the one I tried to do, and is very, very well done. It was just for curiosity since I've just found those out.

found this too.........

generalele-1.jpg

My confederation project is moving along nicely. I have finished two more display cars and the baggage car. The 1967 is almost done and the rest of the Rapido kits have arrived.
Mark at ORO Decals sent me an E-mail to let me know about company that makes the correct baggage car for this train. I have since ordered a baggage car kit from Norwest Kits and Casting to do the Electrical Generator car. I chose to finish the ConCor kit for the Baggage car because A: I already had it and its much cheaper than the other kit and B: the decals are smaller so the shorter length is not as noticable. The Electrical Generator has "Confederation" written along its side, so the shorter car would not look right.
For anyone interested in doing this train, Norwest makes kits suitable for the display coaches, sleeping cars, baggage car and electrical generator car. The kits are a little pricely and require assembly. When I get my baggage car kit, I'll let you know how easy they are to build and paint.

MLW: Thanks again for the photos of the steam generator car. And that turn table pic is cool.

Oddly enough, I started working on the two F-units at the same time, but finished the 1867 model quite a bit sooner than the 1967. But now I have both shells done.

It's a credit to you, fantastic work and a fantastic number i was born in 67
1867 ? :eek: (Just kidding)

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Work on this project has been slowed by the holidays (the painters just won't work) but I hope to have more cars done this week.

Looks like I may need to find a new project soon! I have finished the last two display cars and painted two coaches to standin for the sleepers. I decided the Norwest Sleepers were too expensive for this project as the sleepers and dinning car won't fit on the display track I have, so they will only be used on the rare times we run the train.

Now I have to wait for the Baggage car from Norwest to arrive and for Rapido to announce they are doing the dinning car :) I hope!

Here are pics of the 'sleepers', and last two display cars.

After doing some research and consulting the only picture I have, I was unable to decide if the last display car still had windows or not. I ended up doing one side of the car with the windows covered over (see photo in above post) and one side with some of the windows still in. I added a fake display wall inside the car for some visual interest.

Here are some pics of the window side of the last car.

Yeah, Or is it "not complete enough"?

I'm planning to test run whats done so far at the club on tuesday. So I'll try to take some full train shots then. Fitting 12' of train into one shot may be tricky though :)

The only car that is missing that I really want to get done is the Electrical Generator. But I have to wait for the kit to arrive. :(

Man, that is some fantastic work. Great detailing work and decalling. It seems like those are either huge or very complicated decals, both of which I am sure are a pain to put on!

What kind of putty do you use?

Thanks Crook, I use Squadron Green putty. I don't know why, but it seams to be easier to work with then their white putty.

The decals are large, but the flat car sides make them easier to apply. All the straight edges in the graphics made it easy to cut the decals down smaller.

Back